Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

topper75 wrote: »
    Because follow-up fine notifications in the letterbox of the poor carless person offends the joyrider's sense of fairplay?

:confused:
    Joyriders are just too cheap to pay €1:80 for for the limerick Tunnel Toll. After all they rob your car, waste your fuel and increase your insurance premium and then you be the one who get the letter in your letterbox not them. They do not care about fairplay as long as they get their fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I was just being sarcastic Limklad. I think if they rob a car they won't have any trouble speeding through the tag lane with no tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

niallers1 wrote: »
    If for some reason you don't have change on you when going through the toll plaza and don't have a toll pass.

Can you phone a number to pay later that evening or next day?

I think the standard procedure is that they take your details, you are given an invoice document and you must pay within a certain time or they will take you to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Its OPEN

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

My 500th Post!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

topper75 wrote: »
    I was just being sarcastic Limklad. I think if they rob a car they won't have any trouble speeding through the tag lane with no tag.
    Unless they're OK with hitting the barrier that would drop on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Well,its definitely open!as I just used it.Very nice,very impressive.I cant believe how much time some commuters will save.

They gave me the commerative book from the open day aswell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

From the M20N it looks like its still closed til 6 according to electronic signaled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I think I might take a spin down to Limerick in the next few days because I really want to drive through the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Openstreetmap has been updated.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.6613&lon=-8.6607&zoom=13&layers=M

We're still missing a few details so gps traces would be useful.

1) Clonmacken link
    2) Layout of the M7/M20/N18 junction especially the loop coming from N20 onto South Ring Road to get to the tunnel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Would I be quicker going to castletroy from galway during peak hours by using the tunnel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Used the tunnel today, both directions. Southbound via Clonmacken around 4pm and Northbound all the way from Tipperary Road to Shannon around 6pm.

Great piece of infrastructure with huge time savings.

Pity about the toll, but better than not having it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

plonk wrote: »
    Would I be quicker going to castletroy from galway during peak hours by using the tunnel?

Too early to know what effect it will have on traffic around town but I'd reckon it'll save you loads of time as you'll now not meet any traffic lights all the way from Ennis to Castletroy Shopping Centre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Some amount of people don't realise you can throw every bit of change into the basket in one go. queues already but order early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

tech2 wrote: »
    Some amount of people don't realise you can throw every bit of change into the basket in one go

blank-facepalm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

My toll tag didn't work, need to pay cash at the Clonmacken booth. Fast lane closed at that booth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Has anybody used the tolltag.ie or park magic toll tags today with any success? Was going to use it on the way home today, hope it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Kencollins wrote: »
    Has anybody used the tolltag.ie or park magic toll tags today with any success? Was going to use it on the way home today, hope it works!

My tolltag worked going north and south but yes, express lanes were closed

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Didn't work for me today, beeped twice, have lots of credit on it. It was at the Clonmacken toll booths.

Thanks lads, i'll give it a bash going home! If the express lanes are closed, how do you go through with the tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Thanks lads, i'll give it a bash going home! If the express lanes are closed, how do you go through with the tag?

drive up to the barrier, hopefully you'll get a beep and the barrier should lift

• Advertisement

lukejr wrote: »
    My toll tag didn't work, need to pay cash at the Clonmacken booth. Fast lane closed at that booth too.
    It a pity yours did not work, contact the Toll tag operator.

Mine worked fine. I drove in the exact change lanes booth. I place toll electronic Tag behind the rear view mirror in the dot area as described in the Instructions. I have easytrip toll tag. It work fine at main toll plaza.

I use Distance from Castletroy roundabout to N18 for the Analysis.
    121815.png

Bypass/Tunnel Route
    Route: Castletroy Roundabout to Tipperary road Turn towards bypass/Tipperary) Pass Traffic lights Turn Right to Join motorway, proceed on this road until you reach N18 (Clare border).
    Distance:16KM,
    Obstacles:Three sets of Traffic lights at Tipperary Road to get onto the bypass via Tipperary road and one set traffic lights at Toll Booths.
    Maximum Speed Limit: 120kph
    Minimum Speed Limit: 50kph

Limerick city route
    Route: City Route see map above for details. Castletroy Roundabout to N18 (Clare border)
    Distance:10.65KM.
    Obstacles: umteen number of Traffic lights.
    Maximum Speed Limit: 60kph
    Minimum Speed Limit: 50kph

Road by bypass/Tunnel is faster but slightly longer distance by 5.35KM and at least €1:80 for that efforts.

Peak times: through the city will be definitely be worst than the bypass route.
    Off-peak times: bypass still faster because of all of the Traffic lights.

It is really up to you which path you choose

Just drove through the booth from shannon to limerick, the tag didnt work. It beeped once, no movement on the barrier. It was the one with a cashier, and he said the tolltag.ie tags havent been working all day. When I paid cash, the barrier went up and the tag beeped again. I wonder is it just with the cashiers, and the exact change ones work?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

YESSS!!!

I live in Castletroy. Via the tunnel tonight, it took 12 minutes from near the Limerick Radisson to my front door in Monaleen.

At peak times - that's 30-40 minutes on a bad day. No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Just drove through the booth from shannon to limerick, the tag didnt work. It beeped once, no movement on the barrier. It was the one with a cashier, and he said the tolltag.ie tags havent been working all day. When I paid cash, the barrier went up and the tag beeped again. I wonder is it just with the cashiers, and the exact change ones work?

My Easy Pass tag worked fine tonight in both directions.

Must just be the tolltag.ie ones so. I hope they get it sorted soon! Anyone know when the express lanes are going to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I came from Shannon through the mainline toll plaza and with queues at the cashier lanes and the express lane closed, I smiled as I drove up to the exact change lane and then could go no further as my *&^*^&ing EFlow tag was "Denied":mad:. It did give a kind of double beep that sounded like an error.

There was an attendant who did try to help - called his control and gave my tag number but when they checked it was "Blocked for some reason" and I should contact my tag provider.:(

Apologies to the three cars that ended up queued behind me for 2-3 minutes.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I went towards clonmacken roundabout first time, put money in to the bucket as I have done plenty of times up in Portlaoise. No movement from the barrier. Pressed help button, asked to check the change plate. Nothing in there. Barrier was lifted.

Got home and the parents wanted to have a go :D Used the cashier next time passing out all those in bucket lane :)

5.40 well spent :D

Just to add, lots of people out on the road, some eejits driving very slow having a gawk :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mathsgrinds

Coming from Adare direction, going towards Galway.....do I still take the same exit off the M20 and go in through Raheen to get on the tunnel access just at the start of the Dock Road?

OR

do I continue on the M20 and get onto the south ring road at the M7 junction?

If the former, I don't think its going to be worth it at off peak times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Coming from Adare direction, going towards Galway.....do I still take the same exit off the M20 and go in through Raheen to get on the tunnel access just at the start of the Dock Road?

OR

do I continue on the M20 and get onto the south ring road at the M7 junction?

If the former, I don't think its going to be worth it at off peak times?
    continue on the m20 get onto the south ring road but you then go onto the now n18 but yea its at the m7/m20/n18 junction
    i was only on the whole thing for a few minutes didnt realise it was so short from rosbrien to dock road to tunnel is only about 5 mins driving

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement