Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I think the idea to have no access to the city centre from the N20 near the Maldon(Quality) Hotel might prove to be a serious error of judgement. This will drive traffic either to dock road/ballysimon road or city turn off at the rosbrien interchange and head to the city via the crescent. Its a huge diverision for anybody who wants to get to the top of William St. and beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

pajoguy wrote: »
    I think the idea to have no access to the city centre from the N20 near the Maldon(Quality) Hotel might prove to be a serious error of judgement. This will drive traffic either to dock road/ballysimon road or city turn off at the rosbrien interchange and head to the city via the crescent. Its a huge diverision for anybody who wants to get to the top of William St. and beyond!

There wasn't judgment involved as far as I know. The council of the time asked for the link to be omitted at the behest of local interests in that area, and the NRA just complied. It's not really to do with planning as such from what I gather - although the poor road infrastructure city-bound from there is given as an excuse for removing the link.

Anyone familiar with Limerick traffic and the current state of the Dock Road and the Tipp Road (and the junction with the ring road) can only but baulk at the chaos that will ensue with the new layout (although most likely it will simply restore the old N20, the R526 Patrickswell-Limerick and St. Nessan's Road, to pre-bypass traffic levels or higher).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Asphalt is starting to go down on the westbound carriageway on the eastern side of the Crescent overbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Is it just me or do the photographs on the limericktunnel website need to be updated?
    Sure they provide the newsletter @ quarterly intervals but alot of the photographs look a year or two old.

And we in the south east area of the country thought the N25 Bypass Web site photos were out of date:D at least we have some pics on it from may this year....:)

tech2 wrote: »
    Asphalt is starting to go down on the westbound carriageway on the eastern side of the Crescent overbridge.

Looks like it will be two lane + HS with no central reserve - i.e. not very upgradable to three lanes despite the fact this will likely be busier than the phase 1 section (which has a reserve and space on the verges to allow three lanes).

• Advertisement

Zoney wrote: »
    Looks like it will be two lane + HS with no central reserve - i.e. not very upgradable to three lanes despite the fact this will likely be busier than the phase 1 section (which has a reserve and space on the verges to allow three lanes).

Yeah it should have a central reserve no doubt about it but judging from the view on the overbridge it doesnt look like there will be one. I have some photos to upload will put them up in a few days. 3+3 needed is a real possibility in the future.

Also Zoney did you notice that commuters might be able avoid the clonmacken and mainline toll plaza? I think if you go to Coonagh west there might be access there onto the interchange from the local road?

Yeah it should have a central reserve no doubt about it but judging from the view on the overbridge it doesnt look like there will be one. I have some photos to upload will put them up in a few days. 3+3 needed is a real possibility in the future.

Also Zoney did you notice that commuters might be able avoid the clonmacken and mainline toll plaza? I think if you go to Coonagh west there might be access there onto the interchange from the local road?

I didn't notice that. To be honest, the phase 2 ring road could see queues from day 1 due to the omission of N20->Childers Road, and the miserable Dock Road junction (and miserable dock road). Tipp Road junction on existing N7 ring road is likely to get worse too - haven't been on it at rush hour recently but apparently it's pretty bad (although I believe the traffic lights are being used to put the queues onto N24 instead of the N7 mainline).

Zoney wrote: »
    I didn't notice that. To be honest, the phase 2 ring road could see queues from day 1 due to the omission of N20->Childers Road, and the miserable Dock Road junction (and miserable dock road). Tipp Road junction on existing N7 ring road is likely to get worse too - haven't been on it at rush hour recently but apparently it's pretty bad (although I believe the traffic lights are being used to put the queues onto N24 instead of the N7 mainline).

I can understand what your saying Zoney I live most of the time in Limerick and the state of the N24 at peak times is getting very bad. The problem with the dock road is that those 3 sets of traffic lights installed have caused major traffic problems which are not needed. It really all depends on how good the dock rd interchange will work.

On the other side of it the tie in with the N18 is looking very impressive, the bridge being constructed is huge.

Coonagh West Overbridge
    DSC02134.jpg

Ballykeefe Overbridge Heading Eastbound (last month)
    DSC01829.jpg

Ballykeefe Overbridge Heading Eastbound (21st June)
    DSC02136.jpg

Dock Rd Interchange from Ballykeefe Overbridge
    DSC02135.jpg

View of the Crescent Overbridge
    DSC02144.jpg

Eastbound from Crescent Overbridge
    DSC02143.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I thought the Limerick tunnel road was wide median?????

Bastards...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Its absolutely stupid to make this narrow median.

The tunnel I guess will be as narrow as they can make it (a 3x3 capable tunnel would have cost a lot more I think), but still. This should have been wide median, its stupid that it isnt. And I'll bet the bridges wouldnt be able to take another lane either.

Also this scheme is just going so slowly.

Its absolutely stupid to make this narrow median.

The tunnel I guess will be as narrow as they can make it (a 3x3 capable tunnel would have cost a lot more I think), but still. This should have been wide median, its stupid that it isnt. And I'll bet the bridges wouldnt be able to take another lane either.

Also this scheme is just going so slowly.

It was meant to be wide median, any motorway close to cities should be wider median this road will carry 40,000 vehicles a day, on opening it will carry 25,000 +.. I agree this is just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mysterious wrote: »
    I thought the Limerick tunnel road was wide median?????

Bastards...
    Who cares, everyone including myself will be still using the Dock road to avoid the toll. :P

Who cares, everyone including myself will be still using the Dock road to avoid the toll. :P

No way I'll be using it at all times especially whenever I'm approaching from the N20. Also It takes about 10-15 mins for people on the Raheen side to get out to the N18 dc.

Re the median, I agree its stupid it should be wide median

I see they have almost finished installing the median crossing at the N-18 tie-in. The traffic restrictions will not be good for 12 months.

Asphalt being layed down near the Ballykeefe Overbridge on the westbound carriageway.

3698501958_aafe52acf1_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Anyone heard anything further about earlier opening on the Rosbrien to Dock road section?

I understand that Kirby Electrical have the M & E fitout for the tunnel and they are rumoured to be finishing next March. Throw in a month for testing the tunnel systems and the whole lot could be open by April 2010

As far as I guess that will HAVE to happen otherwise accessing the city from the south (through the N20 North - Childers Road movement that will be removed) will be a massive pain in the neck.

Opening Rossbrien to Dock Road will clog that road up something awful, but will be necessary I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kingjohn

How is work progressing on the tunnel itself. Seems there has not been alot of progress lately?

kingjohn wrote: »
    How is work progressing on the tunnel itself. Seems there has not been alot of progress lately?

Theres a new newsletter out Summer 2009 but the website hasnt updated it yet. As regards to the tunnel it is way offline for anyone to have a look at. Heres the update on the Ballykeefe overbridge:

Eastbound
    DSC02324.jpg

Westbound
    DSC02326.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Its amazing what can be done when they want to, looks like they will open rosbrien to dock rd, the second roundabout was to be built in may at the dock rd on slip anybody know when this will start.
    Nice pics

poles have been erected for lighting at the dock rd exit

sonyair wrote: »
    Its amazing what can be done when they want to, looks like they will open rosbrien to dock rd, the second roundabout was to be built in may at the dock rd on slip anybody know when this will start.
    Nice pics

I agree there was not much done here until just over a month ago and the progress since has been staggering. Its possible that this section of road from the dock rd interchange-rossbrien could be open in a few months time. The tie in with phase 1 will be the toughest part I would imagine.

a lot of cones and lane changing to look forward to:D

DSC02324.jpg

The layer thats missing on the pic is now laid down. This section is starting to belt ahead now.

This is great news.

I don't like the Dock road interchange at all. Its' nasty.:mad:

Won't get started about how pathetic the NRA are.

I agree there was not much done here until just over a month ago and the progress since has been staggering. Its possible that this section of road from the dock rd interchange-rossbrien could be open in a few months time. The tie in with phase 1 will be the toughest part I would imagine.

Thats the easy bit. No access to the city from rossbrien now thats the toughest part. This road looks like it has been designed to the minimum standard widths, curves and slip roads. The design of the rosbrien interchange looks very tight. Thats the problem with leaving the design to the contractors as opposed to the Adare - limerick scheme which is great it terms of alignment and widths and interchanges. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

july newsletter now available online,Cratloe bridge looks very impressive.

http://www.limericktunnel.com/Downloads/Summer%202009.pdf

N7 Tunnel newsletters are always the best. Lots of pics, lots of information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Bad news on the early opening of this section folks. Got an email form Direct route yesterday stating emphatically that there were no plans to open this section ahead of overall completion next year. Too much trouble with tie-ins and traffic management

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement