Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

rubensni wrote: »
    blank-facepalm.gif

I was behind one driver on the way back that did the same thing. Putting in one coin into the basket at a time. These were 20 cents, quite annoying to be honest.

Onto the road, the surface quality is excellent not many bumps at all. The tie in with the N18 section could be better. Coming back eastbound about 90% of traffic was exiting junction 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Driving to Dublin tomorrow, won't be using this if Im going by the N7, the Dublin Road, I wont be using it, or would it be faster to use it?:S

I love how cluchie this side of the country can be, they don't know the basket is to dump it in and keep going ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

A193 wrote: »
    Driving to Dublin tomorrow, won't be using this if Im going by the N7, the Dublin Road, I wont be using it, or would it be faster to use it?:S

I love how cluchie this side of the country can be, they don't know the basket is to dump it in and keep going ASAP!

Driving to Dublin from WHERE???

Here in Culchieland at least we're clear about where we're starting from!! icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Dont forget the "No U Turn" signs on the M6 near Galway :rolleyes:

Every time I think of the need for such signs, i always imagine that "squeal like a pig boy!" scene from Deliverance, only located somewhere around Connemara/Burren areas

Limerick...:S

• Advertisement

Limerick...:S

Where in Limerick and what time of the day?

Coming from LIT, then on to Clare St, then out by the Shopping Complex with TK Maxx, PC World..

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Coming from LIT, then on to Clare St, then out by the Shopping Complex with TK Maxx, PC World..

Try going down to Ivan's, over to the new link to the N18 and off you go!

Definitely will be faster than the other way you're suggesting.

It might be longer but I would use the Tunnel than take the old N7 route through town. It's an absolute nightmare most of the rime. Once you get past the toll plaza at Clonmacken your on motorway/dc to Finnegans roundabout. Obviously it would be better if Birdhill to the SRR phase 1 would be finished by now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

tech2 wrote: »
    It might be longer but I would use the Tunnel than take the old N7 route through town. It's an absolute nightmare most of the rime. Once you get past the toll plaza at Clonmacken your on motorway/dc to Finnegans roundabout. Obviously it would be better if Birdhill to the SRR phase 1 would be finished by now :rolleyes:

We can only hope and wish.

Someday I'll be able to drive Clonmacken to Nenagh all on motorway/dc ,someday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I decide to give some history videos overview of the construction of the Limerick Tunnel.
    Simulation of Construction over the Build

Precast Beams for Limerick Tunnel passing through Raheen.

Public Open Day July 2008

Limerick Tunnel Flooding August 2008

Limerick Tunnel been floated out into the Shannon Basin

Limerick Tunnel in River Shannon Estuary sinking

Special Olympics Torch Run

Public Open Day 20th June 2010

All I missing is the Road/Tunnel opening day for Traffic & ribbon cutting video. 27th July 2010.
    Edit: Got it

Got another one drive from Clare to Cement factory roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

Excellent work limklad, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Ah, but there is the halfway measure available especially outside peak time. You are likely to only spend about 5 mins more off-peak by going in the Condell Road, out the Dock Road, and then onto the ring road from there (toll-free) to go to Castletroy or wherever. At certain times there aren't even 2/3 cars waiting to get onto the Shannon Bridge roundabout, and the lights on the Dock Road are mostly green for through traffic at off-peak (plus there are two lanes for the first part out of town now).

EDIT: Plus presumably even better now that some long distance traffic will just be staying on the DC. Can see a lot of freight remaining on Condell/Dock roads though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mathsgrinds

continue on the m20 get onto the south ring road but you then go onto the now n18 but yea its at the m7/m20/n18 junction
    i was only on the whole thing for a few minutes didnt realise it was so short from rosbrien to dock road to tunnel is only about 5 mins driving

Have they updated the signs coming from Adare side to that effect? Or still sending people in via Raheen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Spoke to the Limerick Tunnell people this morning (they have a contact number on their website which was answered on the second ring).

They claim that the issue with tags was limited to a small number of overall tag users and was not limited to one particular tag type.

When asked had the issue been addressed they appeared to think that there wasn't really an issue and assured me that there would be no ongoing problems.

I have a tolltag.ie tag that I have been using since the M50 toll plaza was torn up and is now on its second car.

I spend about €50 a month on tolls between M50, M7, M8, M4 the M1 and event he port tunnel on occasion and except for one issue on the M1 (which was my fault) never had a problem.

I will take a spin through the tunnel today and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I had a problem with the tolltag.ie tag yesterday, but it worked no problem today. I went to the cash basket one, the tag beeped and the barrier lifted.

Video of the Limerick Tunnel scheme thanks to CCSL on the Limerick city forum
    CCSL wrote: »
    I live not far from the Cement Factory and the Dock road was always a nightmare. I always had to leave loads of extra time if I had to be in Shannon or beyond for a meeting. Today on the way back from Fanore and zipped through :D

Vid Below!!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Ennis to Dublin

Would the ennis dublin route be better going via the tunnel or coming off the N7 at birhill and taking the scenic route via killaloe bodyke etc as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Great video above. The toll plaza seems very slow to get through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Ennis to Dublin

Would the ennis dublin route be better going via the tunnel or coming off the N7 at birhill and taking the scenic route via killaloe bodyke etc as normal

Take the tunnel.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    Great video above. The toll plaza seems very slow to get through though.

Early days but yeah its a real pain. Barrier free tolling would be nice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Early days but yeah its a real pain. Barrier free tolling would be nice alright.

The queue is what..5 cars long? Thats mainly cos of people adjusting.

With people getting more adapted to the plaza, it should speed up.

Hardly anything link the old westlink. No need for barrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

2mins to get through the toll - that's a bit of a joke as it stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

anyone know why the express lanes are closed, and when they will be opening them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Is there any way of mapping the new roads and distance/time it should take using something like Google Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I have seen people put one coin into the basket at a time on the M6 Toll in England. I was shocked at first but then I remembered that there are very few toll roads there so they aren't as familiar with the workings of toll coin baskets as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I did Portlaoise to Clonmacken in 1 hour 15 mins going by the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

2) Layout of the M7/M20/N18 junction especially the loop coming from N20 onto South Ring Road to get to the tunnel

The link from N18E to M20S is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

db wrote: »

Yes we know, we're missing traces from the sections I listed.

Someone tried to be helpful and added the M20S to N18W link and the missing Clonmacken Link road but we had to revert as the mapper unfortunely used an OSI map as a reference.

Openstreetmap has to be built from first principles without using any copy-righted data so that's mean we need to use gps traces and on the ground surveys.

So if anyone has traces from those two sections please let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

db wrote: »

Actually we though we had that route done. Do you not use this road to get to the roundabout N of junction to enter the link to the M20S?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement