Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Actually we though we had that route done. Do you not use this road to get to the roundabout N of junction to enter the link to the M20S?

Nope see here:

http://www.limericktunnel.com/route_map.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

That animation makes no sense to me - can anybody confirm having driven that route? Nothing in the junction layout diagram shown suggests that such a routing is possible.

Edit: I think I see now how this is intended to work. But we'll need a GPS trace to actually add it.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

What is the speed limit on the road 100km/h or 120km/h. Also does the N20 still exist (i.e. not redesignated to an R road) into the city centre from the M&/M20/N18 junction.

mackerski wrote: »
    That animation makes no sense to me - can anybody confirm having driven that route? Nothing in the junction layout diagram shown suggests that such a routing is possible.

Edit: I think I see now how this is intended to work. But we'll need a GPS trace to actually add it.

I can drive it this evening and let you know how it goes, but I can't provide a satellite trace?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

I can drive it this evening and let you know how it goes, but I can't provide a satellite trace?

We're guessing that there may be some sort of link road like this

• Advertisement

IrlJidel wrote: »
    We're guessing that there may be some sort of link road like this

IIRC that's exactly what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

medoc wrote: »
    What is the speed limit on the road 100km/h or 120km/h. Also does the N20 still exist (i.e. not redesignated to an R road) into the city centre from the M&/M20/N18 junction.
    100kph for the road from Rosbrien interchange to the N18.
    80kph (unless the electronic sign specified a lower speed) within the Tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Now that the Limerick ring is complete, all of the N roads inside it are being downgraded to regional status. I've already worked out the new numbers for the N18 and N69 sections, but can anybody tell me what the city end of the N20 is being renumbered to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The toll plaza only has 4 lanes + tag lane....surely too small that , the one near Portlaoise is about twice as wide :(

Most toll plazas are 5+ tag or 6 + tag. This must be the smallest one yet, apart from Enfield of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Anyone know why the new tunnel section isn't motorway?

• Advertisement

The tunnel is limited to 80kph for starters and ends north of the river on a 1970s era dualler that cannot possibly be designated motorway as it is ( crap slips and failed bog squash on the Bunratty bypass bit further west leading to that section having a scary surface nowadays)

South of the river the n69 junction is not really motorway grade and the merge lanes are not suitable for 120kph.

An N road Dualler it shall remain from Bunratty to Raheen or so as indeed shall the Athlone section of the N4 remain a dualler.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭whocares86

is anyone having problems with Easytrip tags. are they valid. rang the limerick tunnel yesterday and said they should be no poblem. but didnt work today. the Tag is grand but no mention of the tunnel on the easytrip web site

Toll Rates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Has all hell broken lose now that M20N to childers Road has gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Used it today at 5:20ish. southbound from shannon. Alot of traffic exiting prior to the new road near Radisson. I was sitting in a queue for exactly 4 minutes. I crossed over the dock road and no traffic to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

Just a quick question,
    If i drive the tunnel coming from the finnegans side, when i go thru the tunnel and take the first exit signed for caherdavin, will this bring me out at a junction before i pay the toll?
    just looks from the map that there is an exit before the clonmacken toll plaza?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

whocares86 wrote: »
    is anyone having problems with Easytrip tags. are they valid. rang the limerick tunnel yesterday and said they should be no poblem. but didnt work today. the Tag is grand but no mention of the tunnel on the easytrip web site

Easy trip worked fine for me yesterday.

I agree - the Easy trip website doesn't list the Limerick Tunnel yet (badly maintained website IMO), and the Tunnel website doesn't mention Easy Pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

lazyman wrote: »
    Just a quick question,
    If i drive the tunnel coming from the finnegans side, when i go thru the tunnel and take the first exit signed for caherdavin, will this bring me out at a junction before i pay the toll?

No - if you use the tunnel, you pay the toll!

There is a separate toll plaza on the exit you mention.

(It will be a great exit for Gaelic Grounds and Thomond Park).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

lazyman wrote: »
    Just a quick question,
    just looks from the map that there is an exit before the clonmacken toll plaza?
    thanks

Once you take the exit for caherdavin junction 3 you will have to pay at toll at the Clonmacken toll plaza. No way of avoiding a toll if you have to cross the tunnel.

The only section of the scheme not being tolled is from junction 1 to 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Has all hell broken lose now that M20N to childers Road has gone?

Greenfields Road is apparently busier.

R526 (St. Nessans Road, old N20) seems a bit busier for summertime, although not back to pre-bypass levels. Queues developing at times now inbound at the lights around the Unicorn pub, the Father Russel Road roundabout, the new lights for the estates past that and the Dooradoyle Roundabout. That's in addition to the usual queue outbound at Punches Cross and sometimes a queue outbound from the Dooradoyle Roundabout right back over the flyover over the SRR. Also there's usually a queue inbound at the Raheen Roundabout in the mornings (or even just randomly at other times of heavier traffic)

I haven't really experienced some of the relevant potentially affected areas at morning peak time though - I expect the Tipperary Road junction is even worse now as presumably some M20 traffic is using that now instead to access the city. Or of course they may be using the Dock Road now that the new section of SRR is open.

Traffic is definately worse at peak evening time M7 westbound approaching the junction for the M20. It should have been built with a two lane ramp onto the M20 in the first place. Queues nearly back to the N24 junction and also the ballysimon road was jammed up worse than it usually is.

• Advertisement

I observed here that the toll plaza is a tad small....amongst other failings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

tech2 wrote: »
    Traffic is definately worse at peak evening time M7 westbound approaching the junction for the M20. It should have been built with a two lane ramp onto the M20 in the first place. Queues nearly back to the N24 junction and also the ballysimon road was jammed up worse than it usually is.

how is it that theres traffic going from the M7 onto the M20?? are people actually stopping before they merge onto the M20?

Zoney wrote: »
    Greenfields Road is apparently busier.

R526 (St. Nessans Road, old N20) seems a bit busier for summertime, although not back to pre-bypass levels. Queues developing at times now inbound at the lights around the Unicorn pub, the Father Russel Road roundabout, the new lights for the estates past that and the Dooradoyle Roundabout. That's in addition to the usual queue outbound at Punches Cross and sometimes a queue outbound from the Dooradoyle Roundabout right back over the flyover over the SRR. Also there's usually a queue inbound at the Raheen Roundabout in the mornings (or even just randomly at other times of heavier traffic)

I haven't really experienced some of the relevant potentially affected areas at morning peak time though - I expect the Tipperary Road junction is even worse now as presumably some M20 traffic is using that now instead to access the city. Or of course they may be using the Dock Road now that the new section of SRR is open.
    The Taxi's are doing lunatic speed at night. It a 50kph zone. Hopefully people will start using the bypass to the Dock Road to get into the city rather than take this short cut.

I am hearing several reports at work that large cars on the coins only lanes are been charge at van rates.

One person had a Audi A4 and the other had an estate.
    One of them rang them up and they (Direct Route) responded that his windows should be clean. It is the cleanest car in the car park, you could not lick any dirt from it. :mad:
    Also What if you got passengers in the back seat? It will block any sensors or degrade the performance.

Beware if this happens to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

limklad wrote: »
    The Taxi's are doing lunatic speed at night. It a 50kph zone. Hopefully people will start using the bypass to the Dock Road to get into the city rather than take this short cut.

If you think the taxis are bad you should see the artics late at night.

how is it that theres traffic going from the M7 onto the M20?? are people actually stopping before they merge onto the M20?

I'm not sure as I decided to take off down towards the tunnel. But there were large tailbacks trying to leave at Rossbrien. It wouldnt suprise me if they did have to stop as traffic is that busy on the M20 from junction 1-2. Possible candidate for 3 lanes or an Auxillary lane in the not so far future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I was hugely disappointed with my trip both ways via the Shunnel yesterday. While the infrastructure is wonderful the toll plaza is a disaster. I was delayed four minutes heading towards Ennis and 5 minutes on the way back. One guy in front of me at basket booth finally got out of his car after about 2 minutes complaining that his tag wasn't working. Then went looking for attendant. Jeez. Other people seemed to be fumbling for/with change. I was left wondering why I was paying €3.60 when the old road would have been just as quick.

Can anyone tell me why the express lanes are closed? You'd have thought they'd have had them open for the launch :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

trap4 wrote: »
    I was hugely disappointed with my trip both ways via the Shunnel yesterday. While the infrastructure is wonderful the toll plaza is a disaster. I was delayed four minutes heading towards Ennis and 5 minutes on the way back. One guy in front of me at basket booth finally got out of his car after about 2 minutes complaining that his tag wasn't working. Then went looking for attendant. Jeez. Other people seemed to be fumbling for/with change. I was left wondering why I was paying €3.60 when the old road would have been just as quick.

Can anyone tell me why the express lanes are closed? You'd have thought they'd have had them open for the launch :-(

I also experienced these toll problems yesterday. The booth also thought my car was a commercial vehicle. Teething problems I hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

thankfully had no problems yet. using the clonmacken link mostly, what with the height for the tag lanes, if you have a trailer on your car which is higher which lane can you use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Directroute have experience of running a toll plaza too (Fermoy), you'd think they'd have it down to an art at this stage...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement