Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Nice to see them using their heads and blocking off the main entrance to the house on the left at the merge of the new N18 tunnel/toll bridge off ramp and the old road into Limerick (Limerick--> Shannon direction) Why did that horrible flat house ever get planning permission?? Anyway, the merge there is short enough without having a private entrance in the mix. Think they've made an access road for the house connecting with the the roundabout under the ramp.

That whole area is a joke wrt planning law, it's disgraceful especially around The Set Rights Tavern. I can understand why houses may have been there before the road but the fact that new houses have sprung around it makes my blood boil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Anyone else notice the ADS on the M20 northbound has been patched or taken off. Galway now is down as a destination in brackets and not down on the Raheen exit. Shannon is also on some of the route confirmation signs. Good work done to correct this fast after the tunnel opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

tech2:

Not a patching job. They actually replaced signs/panels that were only a year old. Proper signage result, poor value for taxpayers though (there's a reason that "patching" is usual - afaik it costs thousands to replace large signs/panels).

Many of the signs off the link road R510 between the M20 spur and the R526 (think it's "loughmore roundabout) were replaced too. R510 is now signed by number. Properly in white this time mind you - previously the M destinations got entirely blue arrow signs, now just blue boxes around the route no. Only the "Dell roundabout" requires actual blue arrow signs (due to the M20 spur connecting to it directly).

Raheen Roundabout still signs Galway etc. for the R510 to Dock Road - makes sense (a bit convoluted to go back out onto M20). Still, city centre is signed as R526 (N20) and afaik the N20 now ends at the M20/M7/N18 junction (Carew Park link, end of Childers Road and Crescent Ave downgraded to R road).

Incidentally, the R526 route confirmation sign leaving the roundabout outside Patrickswell (off M20 J4) was also replaced and has as its primary destination now as not "Limerick" but "City Centre". The previous one had Mungret patched to be Raheen - error on the new signage put in at M20 redesignation, and also had UK-style R526 on the main panel, so I guess this was justification for an entire new sign replacing one less than a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not bad. Doesnt have school or college traffic in it though which should bump it up to the 17,000 of the traffic guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Flying Dutchman

From the leader today: Traffic lights to be installed on Dock Road/Shannon Bridge roundabout. Apparently the current setup has"outgrown its usefulness as a traffic management tool". :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

That's just nonsense. Whatever about the lights on the Condell Road (I think these were always needed for getting into/out of the NCR) putting lights on the Shannon Bridge roundabout is just sheer vandalism of a still vital urban arterial route.

The only aim can be to try to "force" people to use the tunnel - people for whom even with lights etc. it would still be silly to drive out to the Tunnel, across and back in rather than use the city centre routes (although Condell Road and Dock Road, and across to Raheen, doesn't really count as city centre).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

From my limited experience of Limerick I would have thought that the Shannon Bridge roundabout badly needs lights. Its almost impossible to get out of that junction from the city and its quite comical trying to watch buses do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

:mad::mad::mad: I ****ign HATE HATE HATE traffic lights! :mad::mad::mad:

Ever since Athlone Town council erected lights at Crescent Junction (and also blocked the old rat run through Sarsfields), i cant help but feel the urge to start gauging eyeballs and kicking throats when i see a red light in an un-nessessary area.

This sh1t discourages people from going into towns and cities. Does anyone actually want these places to get on at all?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It seems that the city council has gone traffic light mad - how many new sets of traffic lights have been installed in the last two years! Its fecking out of this world is how many!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Traffic lights are like entropy - they just keep on increasing for ever. Eventually every junction in the world will have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

From my limited experience of Limerick I would have thought that the Shannon Bridge roundabout badly needs lights. Its almost impossible to get out of that junction from the city and its quite comical trying to watch buses do it.

Peak time its near impossible to get onto the roundabout from the city centre. But outside of that time its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Flying Dutchman

Actually re-read the article this morning... it says they are REPLACING the roundabout with traffic lights, not just putting lights on the current roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Time to lock this thread as it was about construction updates. Pick up all chat about the tunnel and south ring road here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement