Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

they were laying asphalt today at the new roundabout(to be) at the dock rd interchange, also the on ramp at the current roundabout tunnel bound has started to get some work done to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Nath wrote: »
    Anyone have an estimate for when this scheme will open, the NRA website states Q4 2010 but I presume it will finish ahead of schedule?

Rumours going around saying it will be may/june next year this scheme will be open to traffic.

white lines down at rosbrien interchange heading west over the bridge

sonyair wrote: »
    white lines down at rosbrien interchange heading west over the bridge

Indeed ...

DSC02615.jpg

I reckon wearing course will be going down as far as the N69 interchange in the next few weeks as the cantilevers are up and also the side crashbariers.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

tech2 wrote: »
    Indeed ...

DSC02615.jpg

I reckon wearing course will be going down as far as the N69 interchange in the next few weeks as the cantilevers are up and also the side crashbariers.

Which begs the question why on earth don't they open the SRR in as far as the dock road interchange in advance of the tunnel opening next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

black47 wrote: »
    Which begs the question why on earth don't they open the SRR in as far as the dock road interchange in advance of the tunnel opening next year?

I would imagine if its another 12 months to opening then its twelve months more maintanence of the road for the consortium Id say. Its easier for them to maintain it for another twelve months as they wont need traffic management for any grass-cutting they have to do. Also the lighting has to be paid for too. Thats my guess but I think they should open it too. But I would imagine they will open it when its finished or their contract says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

When its eventually opened, will there be a slip road at the crescent? Usually take the SRR and turn off onto the links road with the eventual destination being the SCR. Current diversions add an extra 5-10mins, and thats with no traffic.

Tragedy wrote: »
    When its eventually opened, will there be a slip road at the crescent? Usually take the SRR and turn off onto the links road with the eventual destination being the SCR. Current diversions add an extra 5-10mins, and thats with no traffic.

No there is no junction at the Crescent shopping centre. There is 3 junctions on the N7 tunnel scheme: the rossbrien interchange, the dock rd interchange and coonagh west interchange. The bypass is not going to have a crazy amount of junctions to facilitate shoppers. It is an interurban route and a bypass of Limerick city.

To get to dooradoyle take:
    < J30 M7 (M20)
    < J2 M20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I'd be happy to keep getting off at the Links Road, but the plans call for it to be closed to inbound traffic doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Alternativelink.jpg

I'd rather an auxillary lane branch off from the existing Rossbrien slip.

For example.

Two lanes proceeding west.
    One for city (left lane)
    One for The tunnel (right lane) that merges with the Bypass.

This would be a more viable solution. The greenhills road is more direct for south traffic enroute to city. I don't like the idea of dumping traffic onto the Kilmallock road. imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

mysterious wrote: »

This would be a more viable solution. The greenhills road is more direct for south traffic enroute to city. I don't like the idea of dumping traffic onto the Kilmallock road. imo.

So you would propose adding a slip lane to dump traffic into a housing estate. Anyway this movement is already catered for by the previous junction.

I really don't understand what all this fuss is about. M20 traffic can use the previous two junctions to access the city via dooradoyle or they can use the M7/N24 junction or dock road junctions if they want. And if you are coming in the M7, there are the Newport and Ballysimon interchanges to access the city. The Dooradoyle junction on the M20 is there if you want to head in the cresent direction. And before you say the traffic will be crazy at these junctions, have you seen the childers road at rush hour?

Goofy wrote: »
    So you would propose adding a slip lane to dump traffic into a housing estate. Anyway this movement is already catered for by the previous junction.

I really don't understand what all this fuss is about. M20 traffic can use the previous two junctions to access the city via dooradoyle or they can use the M7/N24 junction or dock road junctions if they want. And if you are coming in the M7, there are the Newport and Ballysimon interchanges to access the city. The Dooradoyle junction on the M20 is there if you want to head in the cresent direction. And before you say the traffic will be crazy at these junctions, have you seen the childers road at rush hour?

The Dooradoyle cannot cope with the extra traffic. There is already five roads joining onto the the Dooradoyle interchange. The Dooradoyle road is serviced by the entire Raheen region. The the point of this slip, is to give Cork/Tralee traffic direct access to city centre.

Removing the existing NB road is not the answer and just forcing commuters to use suburban roads.

Greenhills road is a through road not a housing estate. BTW, this road will have increased traffic regardless if the slip is added. Something has to be done anyhow. It can't just be cut off and thus putting extra strain on the congested roads through Dooradoyle. The Cresent can't expand because of the infastructure problems as it is. So it's absurd to just assume there is no issue here. It's an dire awful situation.

Why is it that it's always Irish people that begrudges others, for been optimistic, positive, idealistic, thoughtful, inventive, ambtious.

Everytime somebody comes up with a plan, be it a road, building, skyscraper, monument. The moaning starts.

Is it any wonder we are always so behind on these things. I don't think we will get anyhwere if this monotone attitude keeps up.! The road infrastructure in this part of Limerick is an absaloute mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

The big issue here is the Cresent were given permission to expand dramatically without looking at the impact it was going to have on traffic. If it was moved out near Dell and the junction there enhanced it would have made more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

rekrow wrote: »
    The big issue here is the Cresent were given permission to expand dramatically without looking at the impact it was going to have on traffic. If it was moved out near Dell and the junction there enhanced it would have made more sense.

The Crescent Shopping Centre is located within County Limerick just outside the city boundaries. I think that the owners of CSC might have sold some land to enable a third party to construct their new HQ. AFAIK there are plans to further expand the CSC by the construction of additional floors above the existing development.

Now, I wonder who that third party was?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

I was was passing the Rossbrien interchange today.
    Lights on the bridge are on, road markings look complete, and traffic cones are in place.

Looks like traffic coming from the M20 heading east along the M7 will soon be using part of the new interchange.

Ya the slip to galway is open for traffic to limerick, you cross over the main dc and down the other side onto the smaller rounabout.

The m7 slip wasn't open earlier on but will be 2moro, a lot of confusion earlier on and near misses.

sonyair wrote: »
    Ya the slip to galway is open for traffic to limerick, you cross over the main dc and down the other side onto the smaller rounabout.

The m7 slip wasn't open earlier on but will be 2moro, a lot of confusion earlier on and near misses.

Just to clarify. If you're coming from the cork side on the M20 what does this mean heading to Galway? Can you carry on past the previous Raheen slip road and take a new slip road on SRR phase 2. How much is open and where do you end up when trying to carry on for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Has the traffic flow at rossbrien been changed recenly?

Just to clarify. If you're coming from the cork side on the M20 what does this mean heading to Galway? Can you carry on past the previous Raheen slip road and take a new slip road on SRR phase 2. How much is open and where do you end up when trying to carry on for Galway Yesterday 18:45

No you still have to use the raheen exit at the moment as the sip at rosbrien is only being used as a diversion for limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

larryone wrote: »

yes, see posts 158 and 159

No change for Traffic coming from town on to the M7 or M20

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

larryone wrote: »

Yes and the advance signing is a disaster. I came down from the dooradoyle slip today heading for rossbrien and the VMS board was way too late and if there was other signage I didnt see it.

Left lane will take you into city temporarily(Strange layout even if only temporarily) and the right lane takes you in an anti clock wise direction up onto the bridge and in the direction of finnegans.

I know they plan on closing the access to the city but it looks like there might be room for another lane to the right beside the slip for the M7 and it could run into the existing link road. Not sure alignment wise but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

clon wrote: »
    http://www.limericktunnel.com/Downloads/Autumn2009.pdf

new autumn newsletter for the limerick tunnel.Shows some photo's inside tunnel itself.

I see from this newsletter that the expected end to the N18 dualcarriageway disturbances was too optimistic. How long more before we get two lanes in both directions again between Limerick and Shannon?

It doesnt look like they are going to continue laying the asphalt towards the N69 interchange for a while. The reason why part of it near Rossbrien was lined and studded was to facilitate those who want to access childers road from the M20 to use part of the new road.

So the Rossbrien interchange is 60 to 70% complete now. The N18 tie has about 5 or 6 months work in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

That N18 tie in is looking quite spectacular and I want to drive it :D

That N18 tie in is looking quite spectacular and I want to drive it :D

It'll be next June before you have that privilege Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 site

i was inside the tunnel savage job bone dry.

site wrote: »
    i was inside the tunnel savage job bone dry.

Were you talking to any of the Kirby M & E boys? Will they finish any quicker next year? Sooner they are done, the commissioning and testing can happen and the whole scheme can open

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but what looks like a toll plaza is now visible from the Clonmacken roundabout (Condell Rd.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but what looks like a toll plaza is now visible from the Clonmacken roundabout (Condell Rd.)

I think you can make out both from standing at the roundabout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement