Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There's a small plaza there for traffic going towards and coming from the new road under the shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Yeah a lot of progress being made on this, look at the map here for an idea of what it will look like:

http://www.limericktunnel.com/Routemap.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 site

black47 wrote: »
    Were you talking to any of the Kirby M & E boys? Will they finish any quicker next year? Sooner they are done, the commissioning and testing can happen and the whole scheme can open

No I wasnt talking to any of them. I was an engineer working on the project for a while but got moved. The work is moving very quickly with most of the road on the south side of the tunnel (dock road side) almost complete. From the tunnel to the ennis road side fair bit to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Did anyone notice that it looks like we're going to get our lanes back near the Radisson? Or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Did anyone notice that it looks like we're going to get our lanes back near the Radisson? Or is it just me?

I passed by there this morning, the southbound lanes look to be resurfaced and lined. Traffic will most likely be diverted onto these lanes temporarily for works on the northbound lanes.

• Advertisement

Nath wrote: »
    I passed by there this morning, the southbound lanes look to be resurfaced and lined. Traffic will most likely be diverted onto these lanes temporarily for works on the northbound lanes.

A change is as good as break :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

A change is as good as break :D

The road layout was changed when I passed the N18 tie-in this evening, northbound traffic was diverted onto the resurfaced southbound lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Two lanes going in both directions now. Good riddance queues!

Cycle paths could do with a sweep though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Progress is flying on this section. Glad to see it:D

Why are they not resideginatng it to motorway? The M18 can still be from Rossbrien to the Existing N18. The N18 is slighthy better than a standard DC from there to Shannon. Though that is not going to be motorway for many years until some of the bends are ironed out and a alternative route is provided to fix up the gaps.

Seriously why are they not making this section motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

mysterious:

Afaik, the SRR from Rosbrien to existing N18, including the tunnel, will be N7. So it were to be motorway, it would be M7.

I'm guessing existing N18 from the Radisson to the city centre will be downgraded to R road, same for N20 from Rosbrien to city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

topper75 wrote: »
    Two lanes going in both directions now. Good riddance queues!

Good news considering how much chaos it has caused for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Eastbound tunnel entrance, alot more work has taken place since this photo including the laying of ashphalt on the clonmaken link rd.

Heres the north bound tunnel bore courtesy of CologneMike on the archiseek forum

North_Tunnel_Bore.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

new winter 2009 newsletter for the tunnel available online now.

http://www.limericktunnel.com/Downloads/Winter2009.pdf

My Christmas wish would be for an aerial shot of the rossbrien interchange.

Maybe someone can contact a member of the Limerick flying club and let them know? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

tech2 wrote: »
    My Christmas wish would be for an aerial shot of the rossbrien interchange.

Maybe someone can contact a member of the Limerick flying club and let them know? :D

The overpass for this interchange is huge yet there is only 1 M20 lane heading north underneath it and 2 lanes heading south, seems such a waste.

Still though at least it's there's plenty of room for future upgrades...if ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

This will have works in january with the closure of roads on the 19th,20th,21st(from 7pm to 7am) to reconstruct the current roundabout and maybe finnish the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I may be mistaken, but it seems that the bridge at rosbrien interchange is wide enough for three lane DC on the M7/N7. There seemed to be the width of a lane extra beside the lane for joining M7 east from M20 north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Here are some bad pictures from the car of the N18 junction.

CIMG1303.jpg

CIMG1305.jpg

CIMG1306.jpg

CIMG1307.jpg

Its quite impressive :D

Why are they not motorwaying it? I don't get it.

But anyhow at least it will remove most of the notorious right turning and median movements off the current N18.

There is a few private accesses and a dodge section at Bunratty to fix. But overall, its pretty ok as a decent dual carriegway.

• Advertisement

Limerick city centre and the bridges will have some relief once this opens. OConnell street will finally be pedestrianised. The other streets are looking fantastic. I would like lots of trees.

They have also started the Inner orbital too!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

mysterious wrote: »
    They have also started the Inner orbital too!

Where I can find more info about that?

Chris those pictures are very impressive.

On the last one is the temporary dual carriageway to help ease traffic going into the city on the N18.

mysterious wrote: »
    Why are they not motorwaying it? I don't get it...

Because some eejit gave planning permission for house on the dual carriageway!

Because some eejit gave planning permission for house on the dual carriageway!

Where on the dual carriageway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I guess hes talking about the N18 from Limerick to Shannon thats littered with private access.

I think that section was built by slapping a second carriageway next to the first, but I could be wrong. In any case, the curvature is nowhere near motorway standard and there really isnt a good alternate route.

No I'm talking about the Tunnel...

Why keep this "N7"?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Why keep this "N7"
    As far as I can see it, it's something to do with local access (ie allowing vehicles that aren't allowed on a motorway, similar to the Athlone By-pass)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

weehamster wrote: »
    As far as I can see it, it's something to do with local access (ie allowing vehicles that aren't allowed on a motorway, similar to the Athlone By-pass)

Think so too.

Better to have it legal to let the L-gimps, Tractor-Gimps etc-gimps use this rather than clog the city.

Tunnel will do wonders for stab, which in fairness has had a nice facelift in recent years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Can anybody explain to me why they are building a replica of the Chiswick flyover to traverse a stream at the tiein between the existing road and the start of the new section??

Seems like the last of the celtic tiger extravagance to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement