Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Can anybody explain to me why they are building a replica of the Chiswick flyover to traverse a stream at the tiein between the existing road and the start of the new section??

Seems like the last of the celtic tiger extravagance to me.

You mean Coonagh? The main course of the N18 dual c/way coming from Ennis will no longer go to Caherdavin/Limerick city, rather to the tunnel/bypass. The long flyover (á la Chiswick :D) facilitates the outbound dual carriageway from Limerick City passing under it, which will merge into northbound traffic emerging from the tunnel further out beyond the flyover. I think! Someone in the know want to verify?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I guess hes talking about the N18 from Limerick to Shannon thats littered with private access.

I think that section was built by slapping a second carriageway next to the first, but I could be wrong. In any case, the curvature is nowhere near motorway standard and there really isnt a good alternate route.

You're right - and I remember as a kid the second lane being built. However, the DC between Limerick and Shannon was completed (in its original form) with the off-line Bunratty bypass opened in 1990 (which was a reasonable DC originally despite the cheap junction at Bunratty, but just in the last 5 years it has subsided wildly, becoming a roller-coaster - will likely need serious remedial work just like the DC east of Bunratty did).

I'm guessing however that the original single lane road between Limerick and Bunratty was not some ancient goat track - but a more recent upgrade/build due to the creation of Shannon. The new bridge (the first one) in Bunratty and highway-style streetlighting was likely around the same era as the original single lane road which is quite straight between Bunratty and Setrights, and although curvy for DC, is not country road style curves between Setrights and the city.

Anyways, getting off topic but further info would be of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

topper75 wrote: »
    You mean Coonagh? The main course of the N18 dual c/way coming from Ennis will no longer go to Caherdavin/Limerick city, rather to the tunnel/bypass. The long flyover (á la Chiswick :D) facilitates the outbound dual carriageway from Limerick City passing under it, which will merge into northbound traffic emerging from the tunnel further out beyond the flyover. I think! Someone in the know want to verify?

But the existing outbound dualcarraigeway will become something of a local feeder road. Surely a simple single span underbridge would have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

But the existing outbound dualcarraigeway will become something of a local feeder road. Surely a simple single span underbridge would have done?

Yeah - effectively a feeder road. With the single span you propose the road going towards the tunnel would have to do a sharp turn over the Limerick DC. The gentle m-way style curve requires a long flyover.

30nhd95.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The N18 section around Shannon was built across a bog that is why. The ennis road bypass built at the same time in Limerick, south of the Coonagh Roundabout subsided badly too.

They all used a Dutch technique that proved unable for Irish bogs in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The N18 section around Shannon was built across a bog that is why. The ennis road bypass built at the same time in Limerick, south of the Coonagh Roundabout subsided badly too.

They all used a Dutch technique that proved unable for Irish bogs in the long term.

I am pretty sure it was built on the flood plains of the Shannon rather than a bog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

We have awesome bogs in this country. They swallow machines and roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Was that bog squashing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yep, the quincentennial bridge in Galway eastern approach was also done this way all the way to the Headford Road roundabout , it sort of bobbled a bit afterwards but held a driveable surface and camber.

ISTR it takes 2 years to squash the bog or maybe 3.

1. You put a sheet of thick plastic on the bog where you intend to build a road.

2. You drive pipes all the way down to the bedrock , they sit well proud of the plastic because.

3. Then you throw min 5m and probably realistically 10m of 3inch screen aggregate on it and leave the pipes sticking out of the top of this spoil heap.

The weight of the aggregate squashes the bog and the water can be forced up the pipes but cannot get back down because of the plastic on top.

After 2 years or maybe 3 the bog should be squashed.

I reckon the failures were caused by too little aggregate a squashing or for too short a time .....or both.

The Bunratty bypass and the Ennis Road bypass western section are two good examples of failed bog squashing efforts. I have not seen the technique used except during the 1980s so it must be abandoned. I think the new road east out of Letterkenny for 2km to the Galway road is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

On Limerick Local Radio this morning, Tunnel to open in May

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

It's on Limerick's live 95fm website
    LIMERICK TUNNEL TO OPEN AHEAD OF SCHEDULE
    14 January 2010

The Limerick Tunnel will be ready to open in May - four months ahead of schedule.

Originally due to open in September it's expected to take up to 40,000 vehicles off the streets of Limerick City.

The 675 metre tunnel under the River Shannon completes the final phase of the Southern Ring Road linking the Dublin Road to the Ennis Road.

Construction work on the 500 million euro river-crossing began in 2006 and is one of the largest engineering projects ever in Limerick.

Traffic Engineer with Limerick City Council is Rory McDermot

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/limerick-tunnel-to-open-ahead-of-schedule/389a255f-a191-4406-8bdc-8f66f8de521e

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

tech2 wrote: »

this is great news.......let's hope the 'bog of doom' will be open before may.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The tunnel will be open in June according to the Irish Examiner:
    PLANS are being finalised in Limerick for the biggest simulated emergency exercise every carried out in this country.

Hundreds of firefighters, gardaí, ambulance and medical personnel will take part in a planned accident in the new €660 million tunnel under the Shannon, which is now nearing completion.

The tunnel, which was due to open in September, is now likely to open by June, allowing up to 16,000 cars a day to by-pass Limerick city when travelling on the western corridor, linking Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Clare and the West.

However, before it opens it will have to undergo a huge emergency drill to comply with new legislation on tunnel safety.

The exercise will be the final part of the safety process which entails a "book of evidence" being completed showing that the tunnel ticks the rigorous safety rules.

Twenty firefighters from Limerick and Clare have travelled to Switzerland to undergo special training in tunnel rescues and have been accredited to give the same course to their colleagues.

The tunnel is a key element of Limerick’s new Southern Ring Road, a 9.7km four-lane highway. The tunnel runs for 900m, of which 675m will be under the Shannon.

The tunnel connects the southern side of the Shannon near the cement factory in Mungret to the northern riverside near the Radisson Hotel on the Ennis Road.

Tom King, managing director Direct Route, builders of the tunnel, said up to 200 people, including 120 fire-fighters, will take part in the simulated emergency which they hope to carry out in May.

He said: "There are huge logistics involved in getting 200 people from all the emergency services for the one exercise and we are working on May 21."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/emergency-exercise-to-test-euro600m-tunnel-109699.html#ixzz0ci1n8ffP

Assuming the exercise goes well, and that no major problems are identified, it should be open within a couple of weeks after May 21st.

Toll seems reasonable too:
    When open, the tunnel road will be tolled at rates equivalent to other toll routes, with a car rate of around €1.90 and lorries at approximately €4.50.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/emergency-exercise-to-test-euro600m-tunnel-109699.html#ixzz0ci28nOlt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

That will be one toll I sure as hell wont be dodging. It'll be 10 minutes to get from the N18 to the M20, it can take over an hour at the moment, depending on time of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

That will be one toll I sure as hell wont be dodging. It'll be 10 minutes to get from the N18 to the M20, it can take over an hour at the moment, depending on time of day.

I still think tolling a city tunnel is mad. I'd hate to see the money make those corrupt ccnuts richer.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

So they will have the tunnel complete to the Radison? Is that possible in such a short time period? By the looks of the bridges and all at the tie in I was expecting it to take at least another 6months. Not that I m complaining!!!
    Or are they going to open it onto the roundabout between the travel lodge and town?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Are they not allowed to be ahead of schedule? :) It seems they planned all this properly, as opposed to the M7 to Portlaoise...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

lots of activity at the dock rd interchange, trying to get back on track as they are behind due to the bad weather which we had, asphalt going down on the entrance to sewage works from new roundabout, roads still have to be closed which they were to be last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Excellent news that it'll open early. There was an article in the Limerick Independent today too quoting a May opening.

The toll is grand at under €2, it will avoid the traffic in Limerick city which at times would cost you more in petrol on an idle engine.

lukejr wrote: »
    Excellent news that it'll open early. There was an article in the Limerick Independent today too quoting a May opening.

The toll is grand at under €2, it will avoid the traffic in Limerick city which at times would cost you more in petrol on an idle engine.

I'd love to know who will still pay tols in two years:D

It will be well under 2Euro. I.80 at most for bypassing a city. There is no way a bypass of a city should be tolled in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mysterious wrote: »
    I'd love to know who will still pay tols in two years:D

It will be well under 2Euro. I.80 at most for bypassing a city. There is no way a bypass of a city should be tolled in the first place.
    Care to explain why?

Tunnel was built at enormous cost and this needs to be recouped. And like it or not, in order to incentivise a tolling company to operate the road, it needs to be one that will provide a guaranteed revenue stream, ideally a city bypass. There are loads of examples in foreign countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

spacetweek wrote: »
    There are loads of examples in foreign countries.

care to give a few?

On the autoroute system in France, city bypasses are free, while intercity trips are tolled. I've less exprerience in Spain, but the AP7 is free to use between the junctions immediately North and South of Girona but tolled for Longer distance traffic.

care to give a few?

On the autoroute system in France, city bypasses are free, while intercity trips are tolled. I've less exprerience in Spain, but the AP7 is free to use between the junctions immediately North and South of Girona but tolled for Longer distance traffic.

Oh and French roads are a thousands times better, even the alternative A roads there are top notch.

What we have is a box type tunnel that is 600 metres long. They have these tunnels built in Third world cities.

Ireland is or was meant to be one of the richest in the world. They have hundreds of tunnels in Italy, Swizterland, France that are like 20 miles long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Ireland is or was meant to be one of the richest in the world.

This is irrelevant when the cost of doing business is just as high and as I'm sure you aware the apparent wealth this country had was based on credit. PPP builds will mean that instead of your tax money definitely paying for roads, you have a choice to pay or not pay. Not a bad scheme really.

I personally will pay the toll without issue. I'm really looking forward to the tunnel opening, whenever that happens.

Over time, people and businesses will build the cost of tolling in to their incomes, expenditure, etc. and so it will all balance out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

Yep, the quincentennial bridge in Galway eastern approach was also done this way all the way to the Headford Road roundabout , it sort of bobbled a bit afterwards but held a driveable surface and camber.

ISTR it takes 2 years to squash the bog or maybe 3.

1. You put a sheet of thick plastic on the bog where you intend to build a road.

2. You drive pipes all the way down to the bedrock , they sit well proud of the plastic because.

3. Then you throw min 5m and probably realistically 10m of 3inch screen aggregate on it and leave the pipes sticking out of the top of this spoil heap.

The weight of the aggregate squashes the bog and the water can be forced up the pipes but cannot get back down because of the plastic on top.

After 2 years or maybe 3 the bog should be squashed.

I reckon the failures were caused by too little aggregate a squashing or for too short a time .....or both.

The Bunratty bypass and the Ennis Road bypass western section are two good examples of failed bog squashing efforts. I have not seen the technique used except during the 1980s so it must be abandoned. I think the new road east out of Letterkenny for 2km to the Galway road is another.
    Think sections of Knock bypass might be similar method.

So from the Actual N18 flyover to the N18 mainline how much are they realigning.

Are there many private accesses left from there to Bunratty. I know the right turns movements are gone from the N18 flyover.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

So from the Actual N18 flyover to the N18 mainline how much are they realigning.

Are there many private accesses left from there to Bunratty. I know the right turns movements are gone from the N18 flyover.
    Yes, there will still be several. On this fantasy futures map I drew, I've marked the section in (as a potential motorway upgrade project) in blue.

What we have is a box type tunnel that is 600 metres long. They have these tunnels built in Third world cities.
    Wow... You inferiority complex much?

I'm sick of people complaining about having to pay road tolls, saying it's double-paying... despite absolutely EVERYTHING else being like that:

Public transport - Metro/tram/bus is built/setup using public funds, which come from the taxpayer. But then, every time you use it, you have to buy a ticket. You paid twice.
    Airports - Airport is built out of public funds, or sometimes privately using a passenger charge which passengers pay. Then, when passengers fly, they have to buy a ticket. You paid twice.
    Electricity - New power plant is built, out of public funds, and users are charged for the electricity. You pay twice.
    Water - Water treatment facilities are built out of public funds, and users are (will be!) charged for the water. You pay twice.

However -
    Roads - A motorway is built out of public money. People refuse to pay a user charge :)

This doesn't make any sense!

Anyone that refuses to pay city bypass tolls is quite frankly an idiot. I hope they have a lovely time sitting in traffic in Limerick city centre while everyone else whizzes by.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Yes, there will still be several. On this fantasy futures map I drew, I've marked the section in (as a potential motorway upgrade project) in blue.

That was interestnig how did you manage to create these lines directly onto google.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

care to give a few?

M6 Toll to bypass the congested 'ordinary' M6 through the West Midlands - effectively a bypass of the greater Birmingham area.

Toll at the Dartford Crossing on the M25.

Lots of countries in Europe charge people a special road tax to use their motorway networks, including of course city bypass motorways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette_(road_tax)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement