Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

M6 Toll to bypass the congested 'ordinary' M6 through the West Midlands - effectively a bypass of the greater Birmingham area.

Toll at the Dartford Crossing on the M25.

Lots of countries in Europe charge people a special road tax to use their motorway networks, including of course city bypass motorways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette_(road_tax)

Actually your wrong on that statment.

The M6 is actually a congested bypass of Birmingham. There is other alternative roads to use.. The M6 toll is a relief road for commuters who are long distance on the M6. They don't have to pay the toll.

Anyway the M6 toll is a good bit away from Birmingham.

Special road tax, me eye, do you see how good all their roads are. In France they have state of the art motorways, soaring through mountains, valleys and dips. We have a very substandard road system and we are paying road tax and tolls. Most of our national and secondary roads are in a shocking state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

mysterious wrote: »
    The M6 toll is a relief road for commuters who are long distance on the M6. They don't have to pay the toll.

They do: http://www.m6toll.co.uk/pricing/default.asp?mainmenuid=4

http://www.m6toll.co.uk/pricing/Pricing_Table_1-1-09.pdf

Good idea with the variable pricing BTW.
    Anyway the M6 toll is a good bit away from Birmingham.

Have you ever lived in this area of England? I have, and Birmingham is only part of the huge West Midlands conurbation (total population about 3.5 million).

Without the M6 Toll the massively congested 'ordinary' M6 would be gridlocked.
    Special road tax, me eye

The fact is that some European countries have an extra road tax for people who want to drive on motorways.

If you don't pay this special road tax, you don't get to drive on the motorways, not without risking substantial fines anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

The fact is that some European countries have an extra road tax for people who want to drive on motorways.

If you don't pay this special road tax, you don't get to drive on the motorways, not without risking substantial fines anyway.

They're much lower than here. The Swiss tax, for example, is about €30 for the year. If you drive from Ennis to Dublin Airport once the motorways are completed, you'll have a toll on the Limerick Tunnel, two tolls on the M7 and the toll on the M50. That will be around €18 in tolls for one round trip to Dublin. :eek:

rubensni wrote: »
    They're much lower than here. The Swiss tax, for example, is about €30 for the year. If you drive from Ennis to Dublin Airport once the motorways are completed, you'll have a toll on the Limerick Tunnel, two tolls on the M7 and the toll on the M50. That will be around €18 in tolls for one round trip to Dublin. :eek:

Maybe so, but they still exist. Motorway tolls in France and Spain are much higher than they are in Ireland.

Maybe so, but they still exist. Motorway tolls in France and Spain are much higher than they are in Ireland.

Yeah, French and Spanish tolls are high (esp. in the summer). But to be fair though, we have to pay road tax on top of that as well. The French don't have any road tax. And though the Spanish do, it's to the local/town government so it's spent locally, and is a lot lower than here.

And as for VRT! :mad:

• Advertisement

They're much lower than here. The Swiss tax, for example, is about €30 for the year.

True enough for Switzerland. But the Slovenian motorway tax is €95 per year since 1 July 2009. That might sound low but if you compare average wages in Slovenia to average wages in Ireland it's the equivalent of a few hundred euro.
    Slovenia
    For the use of the Slovenian freeways and expressways use of toll stickers is obligatory for all vehicles with a permissible maximum weight of 3.5 tons as of July 1, 2008. The sticker costs were €35 and were valid for six months since the day of purchase, and €55 for a calendar year valid from December 1 of previous year to January 31 next year. Motorcyclists had to pay €17.50 or €27.50, respectively. Trucks use existing toll plazas.[4] Use of freeways and expressways without a valid and properly displayed sticker in a vehicle is a violation of the law and is subject to a fine of €300 or more. Due to pressure on the Slovenian government to introduce short-term toll stickers, the yearly sticker costs €95, the newly introduced monthly sticker €30, and a new weekly sticker €15, from July 1, 2009 onwards. Half-year stickers are no longer available for cars, and motorcyclists have the option of weekly (€7.50), 6 month (€25.00), and annual (€47.50) stickers

The motorway sticker used to cost nearly €120 per year in Hungary, again a substantial amount when local wages are taken into account:
    Watch out in Hungary, the year's motorway pass costs a scorching 29.000 Forint (€118,40) ! A week's ticket costs 1.900 Forint (€7.75).

If you drive from Ennis to Dublin Airport once the motorways are completed, you'll have a toll on the Limerick Tunnel, two tolls on the M7 and the toll on the M50. That will be around €18 in tolls for one round trip to Dublin. :eek:

Motorway tolls in France are higher than in Ireland. A return trip from Paris to Lyon (456.7 km) will cost you €30.80 in tolls. The return trip from Ennis to Dublin Airport is slightly longer (about 470km).

If you went from Ennis to Dublin Airport using the M6 you'd avoid the Limerick Tunnel toll.

According to the AA, petrol prices in many Eastern European countries are quite high (over €1 per litre; €1.18 per litre in Slovakia).

Again, the initial figures sound low but if you compare them to average wages....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

all, can we get back on topic please........any pictures of n7 limerick tunnel scheme progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Who in the name of GOD drives their car to Dublin Airport from Ennis, with Shannon only up the road. Even if Shannon didnt cover your flight needs, you could fly it to get to Dublin and onward

I dont think there is 1 boardsie on the whole site who would consider such a journey, and TBH if there is, he deserves to pay double the current rate of tolls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

...two tolls on the M7...

Huh?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain there is only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

veryangryman:
    Having to go through two airports is not something I would choose to do unless strictly necessary. It's bad enough going through one.

Flying is not much bother, it's the airports that are hell.

• Advertisement

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Huh?

Didn't spot that. Is there going to be a second M7 toll between Limerick and Nenagh? :confused:

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Huh?

Sorry, you're right. There's only one toll on the N7. D'oh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The port tunnel is N7 and there will be a Toll west of Portlaoise M7 ...and one on the Westlink M50 if you travel from Shannon to Dublin Airport.

Therefore Ennis - Dublin Airport will have as many Tolls as Galway - Dublin Airport.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The port tunnel is N7 and there will be a Toll west of Portlaoise M7 ...and one on the Westlink M50 if you travel from Shannon to Dublin Airport.

Therefore Ennis - Dublin Airport will have as many Tolls as Galway - Dublin Airport.

Three each way for Ennis - Dublin Airport via the M7: Limerick Tunnel, M7 (near Portlaoise), M50.

Three each way for Ennis - Dublin Airport via the M6: M6 (between Galway, Ballinasloe), M4, M50.

Once the M18 is finished from Gort to the M6 there won't be much in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Where exactly is the proposted Portlaoise Toll? Any info on which slip roads before/after will be tolled?

Tbh, when the motorway is finished, I think I'll be half tempted to get off after portaloise and drive the old N7 if I'm not in a rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Tragedy wrote: »
    Where exactly is the proposted Portlaoise Toll? Any info on which slip roads before/after will be tolled?

Tbh, when the motorway is finished, I think I'll be half tempted to get off after portaloise and drive the old N7 if I'm not in a rush.

About 4km south of the end of the existing M7. Its just a couple of meters south of the N7 overbridge you can see when passing by on the current road.

If you want to avoid the toll you will have exit at J18 travel through Mountrath and Borris-in-Ossory and get back on at J21. I would rather pay the toll IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Three each way for Ennis - Dublin Airport via the M7: Limerick Tunnel, M7 (near Portlaoise), M50.

Three each way for Ennis - Dublin Airport via the M6: M6 (between Galway, Ballinasloe), M4, M50.

Once the M18 is finished from Gort to the M6 there won't be much in it.

You can take the N4/N1 combination and not be tolled on the M50 or any number of non-primary national routes to avoid the m50 tolls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Is the tunnel really going to be a regular, abeit tolled, National Road.
    Its to be the N7, not M7 seemingly.

Does that mean that pedestrians, cyclists and horses will be allowed down it, exactly just like is allowed and can be seen on the Athlone bypass or Ballincollig By-Pass?

It'd be interesting to see what toll a horse would get or would they be considered to be pedestrians?
    And who would clean up the horse crap from the toll plaza?!!!

The constraints study and route choice survey specifically mention that cycle and pedestrian traffic is not to be specially accommodated, but at the same time theres no mention that for safety reasons it's to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Its to be the N7, not M7 seemingly.

Does that mean that pedestrians, cyclists and horses will be allowed down it, exactly just like is allowed and can be seen on the Athlone bypass or Ballincollig By-Pass?

It'd be interesting to see what toll a horse would get or would they be considered to be pedestrians?
    And who would clean up the horse crap from the toll plaza?!!!

The constraints study and route choice survey specifically mention that cycle and pedestrian traffic is not to be specially accommodated, but at the same time theres no mention that for safety reasons it's to be banned.

it will be similar to the waterford city bp......i.e. national primary route (N7) with motorway style restricions for pedestrians, animals etc.

Its to be the N7, not M7 seemingly

Does that mean that pedestrians, cyclists and horses will be allowed down it, exactly just like is allowed and can be seen on the Athlone bypass or Ballincollig By-Pass?.

Doubtful since they're prohibited from using the Lee (Jack Lynch) tunnel which is part of the N25.

Restrictions can be placed on N roads too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No-one on here has ever found the legal basis for the Jack Lynch Tunnel "ban".

The Wateford BP has it written in to its toll bye-laws and has a mini-version of the motorway No signs on entrances. As the Shannon Tunnel is going to be tolled this should be possible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

8th to 11th february 2010 7am to 7pm

Road Closed : N69 between Dock Road Roundabout and Junction
    with L1438 Moore's Lane

Date and Time : From 07.00hrs to 19.00hrs on Monday 8th February,
    2010 and Tuesday 9th February, 2010

Reason : To facilitate construction of Limerick Tunnel Scheme

Road Closed
    : R510
    between Dock Road Roundabout and
    Quinn's Cross Roundabout

Date and Time : From 07.00hrs to 19.00hrs on Wednesday 10th
    February, 2010 and Thursday 11th February, 2010

Reason : To facilitate construction of Limerick Tunnel Scheme

Diversions will be signposted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

emfifty wrote: »
    it will be similar to the waterford city bp......i.e. national primary route (N7) with motorway style restricions for pedestrians, animals etc.

This is the whole idiocy of this.

If thats the case, why not make it motorway. The 6km section of "motorway" is a dead end N7, that is no long existing only near Dublin as a 3 lane DC.

Can anyone tell me the "real" reason why they are not opting for motorway status, despite actually been given motorway restrictions.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Maybe the reason Waterford Bypass, Limerick Tunnel aren't motorway is so that the toll operators can potentially get extra money - i.e. from drivers not qualified to be on motorway?

Perhaps that's too cynical and contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Zoney wrote: »
    Maybe the reason Waterford Bypass, Limerick Tunnel aren't motorway is so that the toll operators can potentially get extra money - i.e. from drivers not qualified to be on motorway?

Perhaps that's too cynical and contrived.

Perhaps not!:rolleyes:

Anyone in the Limerick area interested and taking some snaps of Rossbrien interchange and n18 interchange in particular? Would be much appreciated by some far away ppl such as myself who don't know whats goin on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Is the Limerick tunnel even motorway spec? What will the speed limit in the tunnel be? I'm sure it won't be 120kmh anyway. Really don't see what difference it makes by not giving the tunnel the legal status of a motorway - it should be possible to have regulations regardless, it's not going to have motorway speeds anyhow and it's not like anyone is going to try to build additional access points onto it (it's a tunnel after all).

Waterford Bypass is a lot different - it's built to motorway spec and it's highly likely that people could try to build additional inappropriate access points onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

There is a pattern for Limerick, Waterford and Athlone not getting a motorway river crossing - a lack of bridges. Think it boils down to the alternate route rationale, which is hazy at best...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Galway bypass (if it ever gets built) wont be motorway either, just N road. But then that wont be up the curvature of motorway. Wonder if thats the case for the others? The Waterford bypass is motorway spec in places, but surely the gradients on part of it are way below motorway spec.

Roryhy wrote: »
    Perhaps not!:rolleyes:

Anyone in the Limerick area interested and taking some snaps of Rossbrien interchange and n18 interchange in particular? Would be much appreciated by some far away ppl such as myself who don't know whats goin on!

I will try and take a few of the Rossbrien interchange at some stage pass it enough times anyway, the mainline hasnt changed too much over the last few months so I will take some of those when some wearing course goes down. Ideally an aerial shot of the Rossbrien interchange would be the best! :)

Just looking at the clonmacken link road a few days ago, is there a real need for a concrete barrier for the median? I guess it has to be constructed like that due to the toll plaza.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    Is the Limerick tunnel even motorway spec? What will the speed limit in the tunnel be? I'm sure it won't be 120kmh anyway. Really don't see what difference it makes by not giving the tunnel the legal status of a motorway - it should be possible to have regulations regardless, it's not going to have motorway speeds anyhow and it's not like anyone is going to try to build additional access points onto it (it's a tunnel after all).

Waterford Bypass is a lot different - it's built to motorway spec and it's highly likely that people could try to build additional inappropriate access points onto it.

The Limerick tunnel scheme is built to motorway standards (HQDC) so there is no reason why it shouldnt be reclassified as a motorway if there is another trance of motorway redesignations. The Waterford bypass should also be included into that as well as the sections of N22 and N25 near Cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement