Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay For College....?

Options
  • 19-12-2007 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but do you have to pay for college? Here I was thinking how great Ireland / the EU is with this free higher education scheme they have, and my friend tells me that you have to pay to go to college....and this EU scheme does technically pay for your tuition, but there are other fees.

Then I found this on the TCD website:

http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/fees/fees_ugdegreefees.php

Where they have a different category for EU applicants.......

Then my mam says that that fee is for if you have to repeat a year or something like that. So now I'm just back where I started, not having a clue what the story is.

Anyone want to clear it up for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

As long as your not going to a private college its free, since your coming from your leaving cert. If you fail any year and have to repeat then yes, you do need to pay. When you get your course you'll have to pay a registration fee which is around 800/900 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

As an Irish citizen, You pay a registration fee which is circe €950 (for UCD anyway), unless you qualify for a local authority grant, but the state pays for your college fees for your first undergraduate degree which amount to several thousand per year, but it depends on the degree.

If you have to repeat a year, you will pay the full fees for that year.

/edit, msg rocks got there before me.

Advertisement