Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bikers

Options
  • 19-12-2007 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

**Originally posted in Motorbike section and not edited - Open letter to bikers but I'm posting it here for car drivers to read so they might wake up**

Hi,
    My name is Linda. My husband Jude was killed last Thursday off his bike. It happened on the 13th (for the google people out there) He was one of two bikers who died on Thursday. To be honest I don't know much about the other lad, I know he was 27 and from Kilkenny past that I don't know.

I know a majority of you out there probably are safe drivers like Jude. But I know from experience, both while following Jude on his bike and obviously what happened last Thursday, that it's not yourselves you need to be watching. You need to watch everybody on the road. They're probably not looking for you.

The mornings currently are darker, the roads colder and your wheels won't heat up a quick so your grip is less. Being extra diligent might be the thing that saves you.

Jude had a thing. When he saw an accident happening he dropped the bike to minimize the damage to anybody else. On Thursday, he tried the same thing but this time it didn't work. He WAS overtaking but it was on a wide stretch and a broken line so a legal manouvere. The car involved turned into a driveway while he was overtaking. Whether she used an indicator is up for debate but it's fairly obvious that she did NOT look properly in her mirrors. The usual way people do probably - 'No Cars, grand' She wouldn't have been looking for a bike.

I've been told the RSA started a campaign the same day for raise awareness of bikes on the road but I know from painful experience that car divers will probably not change for you guys. I've seen people hesitate at junctions and then pull out anyway in front of Jude, not realising that even though a bike is smaller and the engine smaller that the weight ratio is less so he could travel quicker. I've seen people cut him off on roundabouts. I've seen people overtake from behind my car and pull in in front of me - nearly putting him in ditches.

Basically, I'm asking for everyone to be extra diligent. Jude used to say it wasn't him he had to worry about it was the other drivers. So True. Car drivers assume they're the more powerful vehicle so can do/make the manouvere before a bike gets to them. I may have a reason for knowing and being aware of bikes when I'm in the car but others DON'T.

Give yourself the extra few metres between you and the cars. Make sure you know what's going on around you. Cars generally are not looking out for you. Make sure your family doesn't have to go through what me and my daughter have to. Don't let your wife, girlfriend, mother, daughter, sister, whatever have to explain where daddy, brother, uncle has gone. I know it's going to be the hardest conversation for me. How do I tell a 2 year old her daddy is gone because of lack of observation, on whoevers part? How do I tell her she never gets to see him again? How will she explain it to people when she's older?

I'm sure you're all aware of what you need to do but...

Look after yourselves boys (and girls) - not everyone on the road is.

Linda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Linda,
    My deepest sympathy to you and your daughter. My heart goes out to you at this time.
    Your story could so easily have been mine on 29th November but for some reason I was lucky. I was riding my bike and was hit by a car coming out from a side road. I was doing 50kph. The impact ripped the wheel off the car and obviously wrote off my bike. I slightly hurt my wrist.
    You are so brave and unselfish in thinking of others at this time. In my case, the driver of the car saw me but assumed I was turning left…..In Jude’s case the driver obviously didn’t even look but you are correct in one thing, bikers must treat everyone as if they are out to get them.
    I have three young children and have been trying to decide on whether it’s irresponsible to go back on a bike again. I’ve changed my mind so many times in past fortnight. I’ve actually ordered a new bike but after reading your story, I just do not know what to do.

Linda, Take care.

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Sincerest condolences Linda. I wish you every strength in helping you and your daughter through this awful time.
    I was a biker for many years and, from my nagging and pointing things out to her, I think my wife has become much more observant of bikes, and probably a better driver in general. Very much like yourself and Jude it seems.
    A new house put me off two wheels a few years back and a young family now filling that house will probably keep me away from bikes, probably for good, but I am one who always has an eye out for my hardier brethren.
    The very best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Fair play for posting. I think we all need to be more aware of bikes on our roads, some people just are not aware of what is going on around them when they drive. The fact that your husband was a bike enthusiast and died in an incident outside of his control is very sad.

I think a campaign is needed. I remember in the US they handed out free stickers with "bikers are everywhere! LOOK!" in black and yellow, to put on the back of your car. Every time I saw one I looked, and it raises your awareness of bikes no end.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Very well thought out post Linda. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time for you and your families.
    Hopefully your words will help encourage more drivers to drive with their eyes fully open in future.

edit: I note from breakingnews.ie that today is the most dangerous day statistically on the roads - everyone please drive more carefully!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheykfmhmhau/
    Motorists are being warned that today is the most dangerous day of the year on the country's roads.

A new report from Hibernian Insurance shows that more accidents were recorded in the past three years on December 20 than any other day of the year.

Last year there were 223 accidents on this day alone.

There is also a 40% increase in the numbers of insurance claims made in the week leading up to Christmas than any time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Thank you so much for this post. With all you have to deal with at the moment, I really appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to warn others of the dangers out there.

As a husband, father and motorcycle rider I agree the dangers out there are very, very real. Cars often don't see bikes at all, and more importantly don't even look for them.

On a bike you have to assume every car near you is about to do something stupid and dangerous and they have no idea you are there.

Stay safe out there. Let's try to make sure that no other children spend this Christmas without a parent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bike and car driver here. I can't agree more with Linda's post, every point she makes is valid. To Linda, it's very hard to know what to say to you, Christmas is coming, and it won't be an easy time for you, or your family, but all of us here on boards wish you well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Can I first express my deepest sympathies on your tragic loss. We hear so many statistics that they begin to numb us, but a personal story like yours brings the stark reality into clear focus.

As a car driver, former biker and a parent I can relate to your comments in so many ways. Too many drivers are cocooned in a comfort zone and fail to see how a moment's inattention can have catastrophic consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for posting, Linda. My heart goes out to you and your daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

My sincerest condolences Linda.

Thank you for your eloquent and heartfelt plea.

I can only hope it is heeded.

Thanks
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Deepest sympathies. I saw the immediate aftermath of an accident where a motorcyclist was killed in Gort at the weekend, seeing things like that and reading your post do huge things to raise road safety awareness. Hopefully your post here will cause some readjustment in people's attitudes and save a life someday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement