Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bikers

Options
  • 19-12-2007 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

** Originally posted in motorbike section - not edited, open letter to bikers but car drivers need to read it so some might wake up **

Hi,
    My name is Linda. My husband Jude was killed last Thursday off his bike. It happened on the 13th (for the google people out there) He was one of two bikers who died on Thursday. To be honest I don't know much about the other lad, I know he was 27 and from Kilkenny past that I don't know.

I know a majority of you out there probably are safe drivers like Jude. But I know from experience, both while following Jude on his bike and obviously what happened last Thursday, that it's not yourselves you need to be watching. You need to watch everybody on the road. They're probably not looking for you.

The mornings currently are darker, the roads colder and your wheels won't heat up a quick so your grip is less. Being extra diligent might be the thing that saves you.

Jude had a thing. When he saw an accident happening he dropped the bike to minimize the damage to anybody else. On Thursday, he tried the same thing but this time it didn't work. He WAS overtaking but it was on a wide stretch and a broken line so a legal manouvere. The car involved turned into a driveway while he was overtaking. Whether she used an indicator is up for debate but it's fairly obvious that she did NOT look properly in her mirrors. The usual way people do probably - 'No Cars, grand' She wouldn't have been looking for a bike.

I've been told the RSA started a campaign the same day for raise awareness of bikes on the road but I know from painful experience that car divers will probably not change for you guys. I've seen people hesitate at junctions and then pull out anyway in front of Jude, not realising that even though a bike is smaller and the engine smaller that the weight ratio is less so he could travel quicker. I've seen people cut him off on roundabouts. I've seen people overtake from behind my car and pull in in front of me - nearly putting him in ditches.

Basically, I'm asking for everyone to be extra diligent. Jude used to say it wasn't him he had to worry about it was the other drivers. So True. Car drivers assume they're the more powerful vehicle so can do/make the manouvere before a bike gets to them. I may have a reason for knowing and being aware of bikes when I'm in the car but others DON'T.

Give yourself the extra few metres between you and the cars. Make sure you know what's going on around you. Cars generally are not looking out for you. Make sure your family doesn't have to go through what me and my daughter have to. Don't let your wife, girlfriend, mother, daughter, sister, whatever have to explain where daddy, brother, uncle has gone. I know it's going to be the hardest conversation for me. How do I tell a 2 year old her daddy is gone because of lack of observation, on whoevers part? How do I tell her she never gets to see him again? How will she explain it to people when she's older?

I'm sure you're all aware of what you need to do but...

Look after yourselves boys (and girls) - not everyone on the road is.

Linda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Hi Linda
    Very sorry to hear of your loss. Coming from a biking background myself i know how little respect bikers get on the roads.
    Unfortunatly i had to go through the same as you as we burried my 16 year old brother earlier in the year after as the result of the same kind of accident, lack of observation. lets hope this thread has some effect and slow even some people down and open thier eyes as there are others on the road.
    Best wishes
    A

Advertisement