Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games to own for your 360

• 19-12-2007 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

perhaps a mod could sticky this thread for the increasing number of posts arriving in here regarding this.

Top games you must own for your 360.

This is not a review thread etc, just a list of games people liked disliked, maybe a few sentences on your choice, and have them added to an overall list of

approved
    dissaproved
    over rated

Halo 3
    Assassins Creed
    Call of Duty 4
    Orange Box
    Crackdown
    Oblivion
    PGR4
    Forza 2
    Rainbow Six Vegas
    Gears of War
    Guitar hero 3
    Pro evolution soccer series
    FiFa series
    Mass Effect
    Eternal Sonata
    Blue Dragon

ill let people review and comment on them, i'm just starting the list

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

You could also do worse than check out
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Nice one,i just bought a 360 today,am downloading demos galore :)
    That guitar hero is insane,my thumbs are killing me after playing it all evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Bioshock
    Orange box
    Cod4
    Gears
    Guitar Hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

From what I've played / own:
    Halo 3
    Good multiplayer.. but single-player bored me immensely. But the single player campaigns in the Halo series never really did it for me.
    Assassins Creed
    Didn't like it at first but gets better the more you play it. It's got a good share of faults but is a lovely looking game and fun (though gameplay can be quite repetitive).
    Crackdown
    Still (aside from Guitar Hero) the most fun on the 360. Just trying to get all the orbs can eat up a fortnight. Once you're abilities are up high, there's nothing like leaping from building to building. Just downright great craic. Much recommended!
    Gears of War
    Another excellent game though a bit on the short side at 5 levels (although they're quite long).
    Guitar hero 3
    First game i've played in the Guitar Hero series and i loved it.. now just waiting for PlayAsia to ship my copy of Guitar Hero 2. Medium still gives me a run for my money and i haven't played it in a while but that's what Christmas will be for.
    Bioshock
    A sublime game. Story, atmosphere and gameplay are all outstanding. A bit easy but probably my game of the year. Just an all-round stupendous game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Big games I can think of, roughly from best to worst:

Orange Box - incredible value set of 3 games, any one of which would justify the price

Crackdown - fantastic game, amazing pure fun

Assassin's Creed - flawed masterpiece, a great experience despite its flaws

Mass Effect - brilliant in places but flawed in others and a technical mess, still worthwhile

Rainbow Six - great game, best pure FPS gameplay on the system

Saint's Row - very under-rated, beats GTA for gameplay but not for humour

PGR4 - Great racer but no worthwhile improvement over PGR3 and poor progression structure

COD4 - great production values, pretty generic gameplay and very short, over-rated

Forza 2 - Gran Turismo wannabe, not bad but lacks fun factor

Bioshock - very atmospheric but repetitive and very over-rated

Halo 3 - brilliant feature list built onto a poor core game, ridiculously over-rated

Dead Rising - I've no idea why anyone rates this, repetitive crap thats amusing for 5 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Tis a good idea for a sticky, we've been getting way to many of these threads recently...
    My thoughts on the original list;

Halo 3 - Good, but very overrated
    Assassins Creed - Good, but EXTREMELY repetetive. I loved it but others would bore quickly
    Call of Duty 4 - Fantastic if you like shooters - essential
    Orange Box - Same as above - essential
    Crackdown - One of my favourite games on the system. Well worth getting for the price it sells for now. - essential
    Oblivion - Good if you like that kind of thing, but I couldn't be bothered finishing it...
    PGR4 - My favourite racing game in years... essential
    Forza 2 - Good if you like anal racers, but gets boring fairly quickly due to the lack of fun
    Rainbow Six Vegas - The spacing between checkpoints ruined an otherwise decent game for me...
    Gears of War - Good, but over too quickly and I didn't feel compelled to play through again
    Guitar hero 3 - Haven't played it yet, but GH II was quite good
    Pro evolution soccer series - Haven't played any since the PS1 release:o
    FiFa series - "Meh"
    Mass Effect - My game of the year - essential
    Eternal Sonata n/c
    Blue Dragon n/c

Some other games;

Naruto: Rise of a Ninja - Surprisingly good, but would be more suited to fans of the series
    Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 - Not even bouncy boobs could save this turkey - AVOID!
    Skate. - I really didn't like this one, stupid controls never registered the moves I tried to pull off...
    Tony Hawk's Project 8 - The pinnacle of the TH series imo, definitely worth checking out
    Flatout Ultimate Carnage - Great fun, definitely worth checking out
    Dead Rising - A horrible game - AVOID!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Guitar Hero 3 - Great Game
    Guitar Hero 2 - better than GH3 but recommend playing 3 first as its considerably easier Essential
    DiRT - A real hidden gem and possibly my favourite game on the 360. Essential
    Stuntman Ignition - not a bad game, just too short and repetitive. if you find it in the bargain bin, buy it.
    COD4 - definitely my favourite game of the year. Essential

Older games:
    Saint's Row - Great game and if you need something to keep you satisfied until GTA4, this is the game to get.
    PGR3 - Entertaining but very repetitive.
    Crackdown - Brilliant but i just haven't got the patience to enjoy its full potential (finding hidden orbs, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I would agree with most things said here especially

"Halo 3 - brilliant feature list built onto a poor core game, ridiculously over-rated

Dead Rising - I've no idea why anyone rates this, repetitive crap thats amusing for 5 minutes"

Mine would be

Fight Night Round 3
    Rainbow 6 Las Vegas
    GOW
    Saints Row

I find it hard to seperate the others. All good games already mentioned here.

Bear in mind, I am getting the Orange box, COD 4 , and Assians Creed for Xmas and have delibertly not played them yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Mass Effect - a great RPG can last up to 50-60 hours if you do all the side missons. Lacking a little in places but makes up for it. Best 360 game of '07 for me.

Assassins Creed - good game, great graphics, highly over rated.

CoD 4 - best and most realistic shooter on the 360, better than RS Vegas and more realistic, very good graphics.

Orange Box - every 360 owner should get this, Portal FTW.

Halo 3 - finishes the story, good shooter but over rated.

Bioshock - very good but not good enough compared to the 2 earlier Shock games. Great graphics and 1950s atmosphere, but a tad linear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I got the RROD and took my time getting around to sending it off for repair so I have missed out on some of the more recent games so this thread is fairly handy for that...

COD4 and orange Box as soon as I get console back methinks!!

as far as my own reviews:

Dead Rising - as mentioned its 5 minutes of fun, just download the demo and whenever you get the urge spend a few minutes mowing down zombies

Gears of War - chainsaw bayonet? 'nuff said - essential

Crackdown - great fun, but spend more time randomly running around doing stuff than missions, sort of like GTA series

Halo 3 - had just got into this when RROD, but seemed pretty similar to previous versions

Perfect dark Zero - a game that doesn't seem to be that popular, but I love plaing multi-player (single not so much) on LIVE. The games always seem to be great craic

Rainbow six vegas - great game and good on LIVE if only because its a more strategic team game, for when you want something different, not just deatmatch mayhem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Halo 3 multiplayer is very addictive and there's loads of cool options to try out. I've lost days to the game on XBox live. The single player is pedestrian though and forces you to play through the same bits over and over. The hype surrounding the game is something ridiculous.

As RPGs go Bioshock is a little disappointing. There's not enough depth to the game play like as seen in Oblivion. On the other hand, if you approach it as a shooter, it's great and has an original plot. It does get a touch irritating towards the end. All that "welcome to the circus of value" and splicer talk grinded on me towards the end.

I liked Rainbow Six but it was frustrating at times, the checkpoints were a bit too sparse for my liking. I hate replaying the same bits in game over and over. I'd level the same criticism at the multiplayer. There is nothing more frustrating than getting shot in the head five minutes into a mission and having to watch everyone else play on. Watching people play games is boring. Re-spawn all the way. Then again maybe I'm ****e at it.

Gears of War co-op is outstanding. It's probably the best experience I've had on the Xbox yet. It was just a pity it was so short. I found the other multiplayer aspects a little hard though. Maybe I'm **** at this as well?!

Assassin's Creed looks pretty but it gets boring and repetitive fast. Looks alone do not a great game make.

Any self-respecting gamer owes it to themselves to play Half Life 2 - to say nothing of the highly original Portal or the quirky Team Fortress 2. There's a lot of gaming in one box.

What's all the fuss about Crackdown? I played a bit of the demo. It seemed like a poor man's GTA with little direction or plot. The graphics were a little dated too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oblivion is a very engrossing time consuming game but towards the end it got a little repetitive what with all the Oblivion gates and the same five actors voicing everyone. But it had depth. The only thing is if fantasy games aren't your thing, it's hard to see how this would appeal. If they are, it's a must. And it looks stunning.

FEAR is worth a play too, especially if you like FPS games. But it runs out of steam by the end and the achievement points are lousy.

Mass Effect is in the post - I can't wait! And I'm hoping to pick up COD4 in the sales. I've played the PC demo and it had me drooling. I've heard the multiplayer is better than Halo's.

No mention of C&C3 I notice? I've played the demo and it seems the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

and Skate. How can we forget about that game, pure quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

steviec wrote: »
    Forza 2 - Gran Turismo wannabe

it blows gran turismo out of the water:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Forza is the closest any console racer gets to a full blown pc sim.
    Its light years ahead of GT series in terms of physics.
    Thats why some say its not a fun game as they dont enjoy realism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Whats cheapst place to get skate, I heard its 40 euro somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

shortys94 wrote: »
    Whats cheapst place to get skate, I heard its 40 euro somewhere.

I got it for 38 on Play.com last week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, if you're missing a bit of the traditional Christmas snow this year, why not go out and buy a copy of Lost Planet and let Capcoms opus chill you to the bone and make you dream of a nice fireside, warm cup of tea and a packet of biscuits!

The game is awesome, stunning visuals and great bosses!

and not enough folk bought it!

For shame, FOR SHAME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Dcully wrote: »
    Forza is the closest any console racer gets to a full blown pc sim.
    Its light years ahead of GT series in terms of physics.
    Thats why some say its not a fun game as they dont enjoy realism.

you took the words right out of my mouth, the playstation controller doesnt have triggers which means your either fully on the throttle or brake, unlike the xbox controllers where you can control braking and acceleration like real pedals, if you want fun go buy viva pinata, if you want tense and exciting online racing buy forza

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Crackdown Crackdown Crackdown.
    the most fun game ever made!!!

I got Kane And Lynch for christmas, is it a good game, or should I return it for another game like SKate or Assasins Creed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 harmoboxer

medal of honour airborne!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭In IRL

I got Kane And Lynch for christmas, is it a good game, or should I return it for another game like SKate or Assasins Creed.

it's hasn't got great reviews, but it's a present so if I were you I'd just keep it. it can get awkward when whoever got you the game asks you how the game was. They wouldn't take it nicely if you said you got it swapped now would they?

maybe you could trade it in after you're finished with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

the game is pretty good.. either get skate or keep it.. assassins creed isn't much better.. thats just my opinion lol ive completed all 3 games..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Well I'm able to change it, yea I saw the reviews I was just wondering whether normal gamers find it good.

I got COD 4 a few weeks back and Kane And Lynch doesn't look like anything special in terms of graphics and variety. I mean I've got a good shooter at the moment, COD 4, I thought something like Assasins Creed might be better or Skate.

I've played the Skate Demo so much now that I'm not sure whether the actaul game would offer much more...
    As for Assasins Creed, I've heard it's a bit repetitive, but seems pretty cool.

Any suggestions?

But is Assasins Creed better than Kane And Lynch daz. :)

But is Assasins Creed better than Kane And Lynch daz. :)

In imo and in short no.. Its just basically doing the same thing over and over again.. with nice pretty graphics..

kane and Lynch might not look good but theres loads of different things you have to do and its got mulitplayer if that interests you..

Skate on the other hand is not really the same thing.. the tricks are the same but you have got a whole city to explore and skate and its endless fun(coming from me ive been skating for nearly 7 years so it might not interest those who dont skate)

In order of my favorites:

Skate
    kane and Lynch
    Assassins Creed

Assassins Creed is defo a rent and not buy game I think.. same with kane and lynch.. but I bought assassins creed then traded it in for kane and lynch.

Yea I skate myself also, but have played he skate demo so damn much. Its a great demo, but is there alot more in the actual game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Crackdown, just got my xbox and have to say it is an amazing game.

Yea I skate myself also, but have played he skate demo so damn much. Its a great demo, but is there alot more in the actual game?

Yea theres tons to do loads and loads of challenges and one good part is you can just do free skate online with your friends ive done that for hours last couple of weeks every night its just fun you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Forza 2 - Try the demo first. Some love it, some hate it. 8/10 for me
    Gears of War - Highly over-rated. Nice graphics but gameplay got old fast. 7/10
    Guitar Hero 2 - Brilliantly fun game. Great tracklist too. 9/10
    Pro Evolution Soccer 6 - Its slower, but light years ahead of PES2008. Addictive online too. 9/10
    Table Tennis - great pick-up and play yet deep gameplay. Pity online isnt very popular. 7.5/10
    Halo 3 - very good FPS but highly over-rated. 8/10
    Oblvion - just wasn't for me. I hate role playing games. 5/10

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is it just me or does Halo 3 seem more and more like Serious Sam with the ridiculous number of baddies they throw at you?

Anyway, I have all of the above games (just about). Haven't got the driving ones because I dont care about cars and I'm just waiting for Burnout. My flat mate has need for speed , which should be called Need for Drift, but he seems to love it. We'll probably get GT just for the prettiness.

I have been dipping in and out of AC for a few weeks. Still enjoying it and I think the people who are complaining bout its repetitiveness probably need to stop playing after every 6 hours straight :)

Mass Effect is mind blowing but I can't shake the feeling that its a glorious HD skin stretched over Kotor. Thats because it IS a glorious HD skin stretched over Kotor, but I loved Kotor so thats ok. The combat is a lot more like Halo then Kotor was. I don't particularly like that development, I liked the turn based Kotor combat (mostly because you could control your goons better, in M.E. you are stuck with their idiocy most of the time). Great game though. If you liked Kotor you'll love this!

Bioshock... why do people think this is a roleplaying game? Its a shooter. It looks great, lots of nice atmosphere and thankfully shot somewhere other then deep space or a warzone.

Skate I adored. Unlocked everything, goofed off everything, trashed everything and made loads of videos of lamping my head off stuff or landing on my nuts! (Pity Sony's online offering sucks ass. Yes I played it on ps3).

Havent got CoD4 yet... major hole in the games collection... Just over loaded with great games at the moment!

DeV.

Advertisement