Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squeeky brakes

Options
  • 19-12-2007 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

My brakes on my car didn't squeek. Now they do.

Is it to do with the weather? I've only noticed it the last week or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Some makes/models have 'squeal plates' installed which make that noise to indicate that the pads are reaching the wear limit. Get them checked. It could also be due to a lip on the disc or maybe they just need some copper grease applied to the pad back plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

Could be something with the build up of carbon.....or brake pads could be just worn and your hearing the work of steel on steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Could be a mouse trapped somewhere? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

JMCD wrote: »
    or brake pads could be just worn and your hearing the work of steel on steel.

Possibly, but usually if they are that worn it's more of a deep grinding noise rather than a squeal - either way they should be checked - it's never worth ignoring any problem with brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 scotia

As cross said, it's probably just some brake dust thats squeaking away, is it front or rear?A quick clean up and some copper grease should do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I appreciate the advice about getting it getting out, does make perfect sense. I just want some idea what I'm dealing with before some garage takes me for a ride!

I don't know if it's front or rear .. all I hear is squeaking.

By quick clean up you mean a quick DIY job or a quick garage job?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

I have the same problem, and I only got my breaks done about 2-3 months ago, seems to only happen when the start in morning, after one or two touches on the brake I don't hear it anymore.!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I have the same problem, and I only got my breaks done about 2-3 months ago, seems to only happen when the start in morning, after one or two touches on the brake I don't hear it anymore.!!!!!

Might be a rust buildup on your disks. A thin layer of rust can build up over night or a day or two of not driving, one or two touches on the brakes removes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

More than likely it's dust build up, your car doesn't happen to be a Toyota ?

Don't worry about the earlier comment about 'squeal plates', I've lost count of how many times I've heard this from people saying their shim pads need to be replaced :rolleyes:, they don't. Most garages these days will just bin them if they find them while replacing pads, also make sure that you get the rotors turned at the same time. I don't know how many times I've come across pads been change and the rotor not turned. More cases than not it's not the shims making the noise.
    Easy fix (9/10 times this does the job) to get rid of the noise is to take the pads off and cut a 2mm horizontal line across the center of each one if no line is present.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Cool thanks for the advice man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

My brakes squeak, I hate them. I turn the radio up to fix it :D ...but that gives me a headache.

Had it serviced there 2 months ago and brakes were fine, didnt need replacing but they squeaked before and still squeak after.

Think its time I went down this copper grease route, i'd say it should be a fairly easy diy job? Anybody know of any links that might walk a novice through it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

It's not that hard you buy the grease take your wheel off apply it put your wheel back on simple really!!!!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Wouldn't be trusting you to do it now lewey, not with a dodge haircut and sparkley ears like yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

wouldn't work on asrta's baz....I only work on high power machines!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:p:p:p

Advertisement