Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independence Day Extended Version?

• 19-12-2007 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

RTE1 is showing Independence Day at the moment and I am almost sure I have seen a couple of extra scenes that I have not seen before. I have the DVD and have watched it several times and dont recall them at all. Anyone else notice this or know if there is an extended edition of the movie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

can you remember any of the extra scenes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

There was one a few minutes ago when Jeff Goldblum and his da are driving to Washington and before they get to the White House they almost have an accident and crash through a few wodden barricades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

God.. I hope not - the original was bad enough without a director's cut.

** quick look on IMDb **

There's a special edition which is 8 minutes longer (153 min). Details of additional / extended scenes are as follows:
    On July 1, 1998 a Special Edition was released on LaserDisc. This edition contains ca. 8 minutes of extended/additional footage:

* The first dialogue between President Whitmore and Constance Spano was extended.
    * A few sentences were added in the scene as Whitmore proposes to go to DefCon 3.
    * The first added scene is a dialogue between David Levinson and a colleague at the TV station. He explains that an unknown signal is responsible for the bad TV broadcasting and that he may be able to block this signal.
    * In the next extended scene Russell Casse meets his son after he was released from prison.
    * Up next the dialogue between Jasmine and Tiffany in the strip club was extended.
    * Then there is an extended dialogue between David and his father on the way to the White house. Right after this is an added scene in which David is searching for the number of Constance's handy.
    * Another added scene features David and his father in the oval Office. The father is talking about the persons who visited this office. Actors, football players and now himself...
    * Right after Jasmine found the truck, there is an added scene in which the illness of Russell's youngest son is described.
    * The next added scene features Jasmine as she drives the truck and some survivors through the destroyed city.
    * Later in Area 51 there is an added scene in which David Levinson and Dr. Brakkish Okun go into the alien spacecraft. Here the Doctor explains some of the alien technology.
    * As Captain Steven Hiller arrives with the alien visitor, a scene was added in which Russell asks for a doctor for his ill son.
    * The last extended scene shows Russell's daughter establishing a new friendship while the fight rages above Area 51.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yeah that looks about right. Should have checked there first I suppose. Cheers Basquille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

"if we do at least we'll both die virgins"......................fantastic stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Independance Day is a fantastic film. It's one of the better examples of Hollywood blockbusters of recent times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah saw it myself... IMO all of the extra scenes were pointless tbh.

I loved Independance Day when it first came out. Seen it in the cinema 3 times and when we got it on video i watched it everyday after school for about a week:D

But it really hasn't aged well. The script is rather shíte, and the acting leaves a lot to be desired.

But i'm glad it came out when it did, because i didn't know any better:) And it will be a classic for that very reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I can remember being in secondary school when it was released.

I went to see it in the cinema and thought it was pretty average. Remember going into school the following week and everyone was going nuts for it - it was the 'Citizen Kane' of the teenage mindset in the mid-90's! :D

So I thought did I miss something?! Sister brought me a copy on VHS from her holidays and no, it never changed my mind!

The movie which brought Rolan Emmerich into the limelight... and over 10 years later, aren't we all glad?!

PS - only a 6.3 on IMDb.. the ratings really haven't been kind to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

In fairness, The Thirteenth floor was pretty good and there is a special place in my heart for eight legged freaks. The less said about Godzilla, The Patriot and The Day after Tomorrow, the better though.

I had an argument with my brother when it came on. We both agreed that it was the extended version but we somewhat disagreed about the film in its entirety. He maintained it was a classic and I just laughed...
    The whole conversation started because he wanted to see "I am Legend" and I was like, "ugh, Will Smith". Thats when the Will Smith fanboism began. I'd swear he'd start humping his leg if he could get within 5 feet of the guy... he asked me to name one film that Will Smith was in that was shít. I countered and asked him to name one film he was in that was good :p Luckily he hasnt seen Mohammed Ali, neither have I for that matter...

but the guy basically plays the same character in pretty much all of his main films. MiB, Bad Boys, Independance Day, etc. The plucky, 30-something, cool black guy with something to prove.

Sorry for the random tangent but I feel it needs to be said, down with Will Smith!

• Advertisement

No no no! Will Smith is one of the most charismatic actors around. Few can headline a blockbuster like him.

That said, I, Robot was rubbish.

Ivan wrote: »

but the guy basically plays the same character in pretty much all of his main films. MiB, Bad Boys, Independance Day, etc. The plucky, 30-something, cool black guy with something to prove.

Apart from Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness, Enemy of the State and Six Degrees of Seperation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah you can't knock Will Smith for playing the same character. He has shot down that myth with several films.

I enjoyed Independance Day. Some people take it too seriously though criticisng all the scientiffic wrong facts there are etc

Ali I havent seen, as I said. Pursuit of Happiness I intend to avoid unless I hear its decent which I have not as yet...

Ok, enemy of the state was pretty good but not on Will Smiths back and Six Degrees of Seperation I'll give you, quite a decent performance. Though I do draw your attention to the fact that I said "but the guy basically plays the same character in pretty much all of his main films."

He was nominated for an Academy Award in Ali and Pursuit of happyness

I'd call the 2 of them some of his main films

Pursuit of Happyness is excellent by the way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Independance Day is a fantastic film. It's one of the better examples of Hollywood blockbusters of recent times.

are you for real , this movie sucked , it ticked every box with regard how action movies are made , while jerry bruckheimer movies invented theese cliches , at least bruckheimers movies like con air , armegeddon werent so woosy like independance day, bruckheimmers are unapolegitically macho

you could guess what the charechters were going to say next let alone how the story was going to develop, even jeff goldblums dad with his old jewish man take was pure cliche

a big wussy movie

my disdain for independance day aside

i like will smith , hes not a great actor and plays himself more often than not but i still like him

the best movie ive seen him in is ENEMY OF THE STATE

i didnt like I ROBOT , the critics did , then again the critics liked MINORITY REPORT too which i didnt like either , both theese movies to me were trying to be BLADE RUNNER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

I thought it was a good movie when it came out and having watched some of it last night I must say I haven't changed my mind.
    Sure it's full of the cliches you always get in big budget movies but that aside, it's very entertaining. Brent Spiner from Star Trek was particularly funny I thought. Also Randy Quaid was funny.
    I was a fair bit younger than I am now when I saw it in the cinema so if a film like that came out now I'd probably dismiss it as a silly kids movie but it was the Towering Inferno for my generation anyway.
    It was hugely hyped before it came out but you know what I actually think it lived up to the hype!

are you for real , this movie sucked , it ticked every box with regard how action movies are made , while jerry bruckheimer movies invented theese cliches , at least bruckheimers movies like con air , armegeddon werent so woosy like independance day, bruckheimmers are unapolegitically macho

you could guess what the charechters were going to say next let alone how the story was going to develop, even jeff goldblums dad with his old jewish man take was pure cliche

a big wussy movie

It's a summer blockbuster, not Schindler's List. Of course the characters are broadly drawn charicatures - it's not an in-depth character study or voyage into the human soul, it's a movie about aliens invading earth. The bits were Independance Days succeeds are the important bits - you know, the whole scenes of invasion, capturing the panic and fear of the government, the dog fighting and the wise-cracking. You know, the important bits.

Armageddon isn't anywhere near it. You can't hold up Armageddon as a more macho film - what with Liv Tyler having a weepie, and all the manly men choking back tears as they bond. It's total melodrama.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i bet kids all over the world are watching that movie these days thinking 'wtf is a floppy'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Unearthly wrote: »
    Pursuit of Happyness is excellent by the way

Agreed, and I am usually irritated at the mere sight of Mr. Smith.

Well the name alone already infuriates me! Damn them and their poor spelling! DAMN THEM ALL TO GRAMMAR HELL!

On a serious note, I'll probably pick it up at some stage and watch it, but if it sucks I'll be coming for you guys :p

It's a summer blockbuster, not Schindler's List. Of course the characters are broadly drawn charicatures - it's not an in-depth character study or voyage into the human soul, it's a movie about aliens invading earth. The bits were Independance Days succeeds are the important bits - you know, the whole scenes of invasion, capturing the panic and fear of the government, the dog fighting and the wise-cracking. You know, the important bits.

Armageddon isn't anywhere near it. You can't hold up Armageddon as a more macho film - what with Liv Tyler having a weepie, and all the manly men choking back tears as they bond. It's total melodrama.

you honestly think independance day is better than armageddon

gees , what a big girls blouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    you honestly think independance day is better than armageddon

gees , what a big girls blouse

No question, Independence Day is a far superior film. Armageddon was utter tripe.

Yeah, I have to agree. Though not a big fan of Independance Day and even less of one of Will Smith, I think it was way better than Armageddon.

I'd chose Independance Day over Armageddon. Not even Bruce Willis and the great Steve Buscemi could make up for the eye sores that are Liv Tyler and Ben Afleck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Armageddon is one of the worst films of the nineties.
    I loved independence day at the time though I was in the midst of an alien obsession, with the X-files in it's prime. Weren't we all?

Don't think i'll feel the need to watch it again.

Woah, woah, lets not go that far. There alot far worse films from that era...

Will Smith puts in another impressive performance in "I am Legend";)

• Advertisement

I saw it a few weeks ago for some reason and I still think it's an enjoyable film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

cashback wrote: »
    Armageddon is one of the worst films of the nineties.
    I loved independence day at the time though I was in the midst of an alien obsession, with the X-files in it's prime. Weren't we all?

Don't think i'll feel the need to watch it again.

Too true Cashback - I remember going to see it in the cinema with a mate of mine - the place was packed and everyone was really into it. It had that real summer blockbuster feel you don't really get that much these days - it's weird we didn't even notice the cheesy bits that much we were too busy wowing at the effects (which in fairness at the time were pretty good)
    I watched it for the first time since last week and I admit I cringed through half of it but I still loved the "good" bits. We are men - we love explosions.
    I don't mind Armageddon - but it's a different type of movie IMO. Bruckheimer's movies usually don't age well because he uses too much modern music in the score and always has to have a bloody theme tune, A list stars, fast edits, snappy dialogue very formulaic - Independence has a much more classic style to it - traditional style soundtrack, big cast but no megastars, big set pieces it's almost like a western in places, whereas Armageddon is much more claustrophobic and tense and in a way is more of a buddy movie in parts.

i know armageddon is nonesense in the same way con air or the rock is nonesense , i dont for a second think any of those movies are once upon a time in america or even the lord of the rings

i do however think armageddon is a more enjoyable movie , i think independance day is a wussy movie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd chose Independance Day over Armageddon. Not even Bruce Willis and the great Steve Buscemi could make up for the eye sores that are Liv Tyler and Ben Afleck!!
    That romance was tacked on to the film after shooting had more or less finished, even if you remove that it still was bad.

Steve Buscemi has been in a few turkeys but when he's on form he's a delight.

Bruce whatever,
    still can't forgive "last man standing" , at least "a fist full of dollars" was entertaining and of a very different style to "Yojimbo"

I actually quite liked Last man standing :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Armageddon is streets ahead of Independence Day. The former knows it is jingoistic nonsense and takes the piss out of itself; the latter doesn't. Armageddon also has a much better soundtrack, better FX and a plot that moves along quickly.

• Advertisement

Armageddon is streets ahead of Independence Day. The former knows it is jingoistic nonsense and takes the piss out of itself; the latter doesn't. Armageddon also has a much better soundtrack, better FX and a plot that moves along quickly.

you hit the nail right on the head , armageddon doesnt take itself at all seriously , independence day does like star trek or other geeky movies do

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    you hit the nail right on the head , armageddon doesnt take itself at all seriously , independence day does like star trek or other geeky movies do

TBH when you have Will Smith in his stereotypical comedy role, that means the film doesn't take itself seriously either.

Advertisement