Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's Laziest DJ?

• 19-12-2007 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I give this award to Derek "Floody" Flood of Today FM. He's a desperate radio jock imo, he talks for about 1 minute an hour and doesn't name half the songs he plays.

He is particulary lazy on The Top 40 Show when he stands in for Phil-in Cawley. Phil works hard naming all the songs during the countdown and giving a lowdown on the movers and shakers at end of each hour. Floody names one song in a set before an ad break, so if a new entry comes in you haven't a clue what the name of it is.

I just swich off the eighties show on Friday nights if he's the presenter as he knows nothing about the music he's playing. Once again Philip is hard at work when he presents the show trying to track down anorak and weird requests from the eighties, he also fills us in with amusing stories in relation to the music.

Today FM are arsing about making Phil Cawley fill in for weekday jocks, when he should be presenting HIS weekend shows that he was given after Today FM kicked him off Weekday Radio. That eejit Derek Flood should not be presenting Friday Night Eighties or the Top 40, they are well out of his league!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Are you Phil Cawley? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

Nightwish wrote: »
    Are you Phil Cawley? :p

Yes:p!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

hard to say who is the laziest right now but when he was on the radio , gareth o callaghan took the biscuit

imagine a scenario where he might today play the song UMBERELLA by rhianna , he would then go on to say how that is sure to be a big hit in the new yr

guy never done his homework , likeable guy otherwise and good in the afternoon , hes a shrink now believe it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Backselling songs people know is not worth the clutter it creates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

he actuaaly presents the breakfast show on galway bay fm now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

Tommy, your first post reads like a personal attack on Derek Flood. He might not be your favourite DJ, but lots of people sound different when filling in on shows. It doesn't mean they're lazy or a bad presenter, but just different to what you're used to.

Do you really need to be told what every song is on a chart show? As for talking for 1 minute an hour, perhaps his show is more about the music than the DJ.

In fairness the whole point of a top 40 is to get up to date with new music, and see what's up and whats down. If a new entry isn't named then you haven't a clue what the name of the tune is, which destroys the whole point of listening to the show to check out new music.

Like you said other DJs sound different and have their slant on things when they stand in, but it's not like mainstream radio where it's more acceptable to leave out names of songs and just get on with the music. The top 40 is more of a specialitive show and therefore requires more preparation and better links between song sets as does the 80s show. The fact that Floody doesn't put in this preparation is why I'm calling him lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Lazy to me means someone is unwilling to bother their arse to do something.

I don't get that impression from Derek Flood what I do get is someone who doesn't want to let too much of his personality out on air and believes the music is what people are tuning in for.

Larry Gogan's style would be very similar to Derek's in terms of that Larry doesn't ever say an awful lot and gets on with the music but you don't get people on here slagging off Larry.

It's call shut the f**k up and play the tunes in radio programming terms. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Am I out of line by saying that 90% of chart music is crap, and who cares?

Thought so.... sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

derek flood plays alot of decent music and doesnt talk much. My ideal DJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Derek Flood

I give this award to Derek "Floody" Flood of Today FM. He's a desperate radio jock imo, he talks for about 1 minute an hour and doesn't name half the songs he plays.

He is particulary lazy on The Top 40 Show when he stands in for Phil-in Cawley. Phil works hard naming all the songs during the countdown and giving a lowdown on the movers and shakers at end of each hour. Floody names one song in a set before an ad break, so if a new entry comes in you haven't a clue what the name of it is.

I just swich off the eighties show on Friday nights if he's the presenter as he knows nothing about the music he's playing. Once again Philip is hard at work when he presents the show trying to track down anorak and weird requests from the eighties, he also fills us in with amusing stories in relation to the music.

Today FM are arsing about making Phil Cawley fill in for weekday jocks, when he should be presenting HIS weekend shows that he was given after Today FM kicked him off Weekday Radio. That eejit Derek Flood should not be presenting Friday Night Eighties or the Top 40, they are well out of his league!

Happy Christmas 'TommyShannon'.

Now...back to the music!.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Ha ha! Brilliant! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not back-announcing is something that irritates me though - not directing that at anyone in particular, just in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

New songs Dudess?

Or telling you that was Bryan Adams, Summer of 69 which you know back to front?

Just curious as to which type of back announcing do you mean?

Hahaha, Happy Christmas and New year to you too Floody:).

I've a new found respect for you now, anybody who can shake off the critics like that deserves a good karma point in my opinion. I know of too many bands, DJs etc. who refuse to take the rough with the smooth. Fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Good Man Floody! Just to say I find Derek's style excalty what that station needs at night. He would have been my choice to replace Ray Foley. Lazy... I don't think so...

Big Balls wrote: »
    New songs Dudess?

Or telling you that was Bryan Adams, Summer of 69 which you know back to front?

Just curious as to which type of back announcing do you mean?
    Oh yeah sorry, should have specified. I'm talking about new stuff by as yet unknown artists. Or really rarely played oldies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

Actually Tommy Shannon, Floody has been around radio a long time and certainly does know his 80s music. A major 80s anarok infact!

That he didnt jump at all those lovely statements like "desperate radio jock" or "particulary lazy" or "knows nothing about the music" or "eejit", shows you the gentleman that he is.

Right between the eyes. (great tune from Wax.... 80s)

Prefer Building a Bridge to Your Heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Larry Gogan hehe

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

carbsy wrote: »
    Larry Gogan hehe

least spontaneous person who ever lived , never uttered a word in 40 yrs that was not scripted

hes an unsackable institution at this state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

LOL Forgot about areth O Calaghan , and dont want to remember him really....terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 alan767

Any time I';ve tuned into that show over the last 5 yrs its been Billie jean over and fecking over again......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

neither a massive fan of floody or phil cawley but man does cawley talk way too fuc###g much!when he fills in for am kelly its terrible,so bloody loud and in yer face at 5 am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I like Phil myself, i think Timbooooooooo as he calls himself is probably one of the laziest djs about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I hate Phil Cawley. He is everything that is wrong with radio. He relies on a load of cheap tired radio gimmicks and does nothing original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

silvine wrote: »
    I hate Phil Cawley. He is everything that is wrong with radio. He relies on a load of cheap tired radio gimmicks and does nothing original.

Agreed, Cawley sucks a.s.s big time. He talks waaaaay too much and 90% of what the prat says is total boll*x.

I was listening to some muppet on 2fm the other day and he was asking people to text in their potato recipes. I swear to God, potatoes!!! Lazy f*ck was incapable of coming up with something himself so this was his idea of "entertainment".

I'd sooner listen to a bag of cats being spun in a tumble dryer while my missus drags her nails down a black board and I chew on a big ball of tin foil which drive my fillings nuts.

Advertisement