Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS I love you film

• 19-12-2007 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Anyone else seen it? Don't want to ruin it for people but I can't put into words how disappointed I was. Loved the book, writing not the best but for a debut novel not bad. Loved the story and was expecting to cry as much at the film as I did reading the book but I really hated the film. Why did Holly & friends have to be American? And I had Gerry down as a way nicer guy. Am so sick of the sterotypical Irish lad with the shocking accent. I mean was the aim to portray him as a grown up lephrechaun or what ?! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

The movie isn't in cinema's until 21st? :confused:

Is it really that bad? Aw no!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I thought so, sorry! Saw an advance screening of it last night. Believe me, I wish that wasn't the real version I saw last night...

Did they make Gerry out to be a dick? He was lovely in the books!! :(

Am still going to go see it I think. Just so I can see for myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Oh definitely go see it I'm not trying to put anyone off it. Maybe my expectations were too high. I thought Gerry was a bit of a dick and so did my sister but let me know what you think when u see it!

Will do! Am actually eager to see it now! Just so I can see for myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I haven't read the book but the shockin' Irish accent in the ads is enough to put me off wanting to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Want to read the book, just havn't got around to it yet!

As for the film..oh god the irish accents in the trailers are desperate indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Loved the book and plan on seeing the film this weekend but at least now I know not to go in with too high an expectation. Girl in work wants to see film as well but I told her to read the book first. Suppose I'm right if the film isn't as good as it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Crap book becomes Crap film? Shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

So you've read the book then Setanta? Can't imagine many men owning up to that:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I wouldn't wipe my arse with it, though that would probably be more useful that it's original intention. I picked it up at an airport once and flicked through it. There was enough grammatical errors in one page to do me a life-time. No thank you.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its not my kind of book or film, but critics are savaging it so it dont look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Was the movie filmed in Ireland even? I just finished reading it last night and I must say I didn't like the ending at all. Waaaaay too cheesy for my liking and i's a pity cuz up until the last few chapters I was crying at parts of it, it was just that good. Overall though, I'm so dissappointed and now hearing this about the movie. Ugh! Saw the trailer anyways and was pretty dissappointed...and thats only the trailer! Hilary Swank too...poor choice. They should have gone completely Irish with it! :( :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I wouldn't go see it purely for the fact that his accent is BRUTAL :eek: It makes me feel ill whenever I see the ads for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Anyone else seen it? Don't want to ruin it for people but I can't put into words how disappointed I was. Loved the book, writing not the best but for a debut novel not bad. Loved the story and was expecting to cry as much at the film as I did reading the book but I really hated the film. Why did Holly & friends have to be American? And I had Gerry down as a way nicer guy. Am so sick of the sterotypical Irish lad with the shocking accent. I mean was the aim to portray him as a grown up lephrechaun or what ?! :mad:

:( I was afraid that they were going to be American when I read that Hilary Swank was signed up.

I'm not looking forward to the movie now - though Gerard is of Irish descent at least.

I actually didn't care so much for the book, even though I liked the concept. I can't put my finger on what it is with Cecilia Aherne. I don't dislike her, but I find her books almost childlike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I cried for most of the book tbh:o Film is terrible, saw it with sisters today. It's just too dragged out or something and the characters aren't exactly endearing apart from Lisa Kudrow (Friends halo effect imo). They kinda made Gerry out to be the guy we all run away from which is a travesty considering how lovely he was in the book! I can't believe I just used the word travesty in defending a Cecilia Ahern book:p

I think I'll just leave going to see this. I went and hunted down the adverts everyone was talking about and that accent is Hideous!! Why didn't they just hire an irish actor for it? And it's just having bad reviews left right and centre!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Wohoo I can show this thread to my sister who wants to go see this film and hopefully that'll put her off - she wanted me to go with her! I'd rather go to the dentist..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The postman just told me theyre making a wonderful sequel to this film, based in Northern Ireland. The heroine falls in love with a policeman.

Its called PSNI I love you.

Lame, I know. It must be the Christmas sherry.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stinkybum

I'd rather poke out my eyes with shrimp forks than go and see this. the book was painful, i couldnt get past the first few pages after the fright of the curly writing on the cover. Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

god i loved it. i never cried so much. my head was so sore. i laughed quite a bit too. not as good as the book of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i read the book when it was first out & loved it. but i cant remember most of it now so couldnt really compare the film to it. i liked it, but i didnt expect much of it so maybe thats why. of course the accents are AWFUL. & whelans is whaylans..

dont expect something spectacular, but i think it is worth a watch :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I couldn't stomach the book, so i reckon i'd hate the film, only good thing is Gerard Butler.
    Although i'm really not a chick-lit, chick-flick type of girl:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

I found myself in a cinema wit about 150 women and only about 20 men... god love the men as every last woman was one minute laughing and then crying.... brill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

I loved the book. I cried through all of it.
    The film just didn't compare though. I found Gerry to be irritating in parts but your cheeky "Irish" guy. I did like Gerry's friends from the band. Now I'd go see him again and again.
    Plots were left untouched. Where was the rest of her family! loved the development of the characters in the book and this wasn't touched on in the film.
    If you haven't read the book the film is good thought so its not all bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I loved the movie..... but maybe because i haven't read the book... The accent wasn't the best but boy was he HOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

as much as i love ger butler i was kind of put off by the reviews it got! i wil wait til it comes out on dvd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

yeah i seen it a while ago too. i liked it! :)

gerry's accent was appaling though!!

i suppose i liked it as it had some relevance to my own life. Hilary was very good in it i think

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paul_ire57

I havent read the book, but i thought the movie wasnt bad at all.

ok you have to see past his accent, and obviously its americanised but i thought in general it wasnt a bad movie.

There were the usual romcom funny bits in it aswell as moving bits.

And as always the movie is never going to live up to the book as everyone will always have their own picture in their heads about how the movie should play out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

TBH i preferred the movie! The book was a good "idea" but written extremely poorly. So it was right imo that someone bought the rights to the "idea" and changed it into an actual good story.

I agree the accent was shocking, but i dont think he was in it that often to really bother me too much.

Plus I LOVED lisa kudrow in this, excellent job playing Phoebe... i mean... oh erm yea... maybe not so much of a acting chameleon then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

thought book and film were very good. Very sad though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

His accent is brutal!!!!! Put me right off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ladylaughs

Dont know about the accent but will say I liked the movie....didnt know there was a book, otherwise I daresay i'd have been disappointed.
    It's rare that a movie can live up to the book! Now I will have to find a copy of that book and read it!!!
    And bad accent or not Gerard is a total hottie....sizzle sizzle steamy steamy cookie cutter cream cheese gimme some please! (stupid and silly I know, but I just couldnt help myself)
    The man could be mute and i'd feel the same! He could chirp like a bird, buzz like a bee, baaaaah like a sheep and I would STILL want him for my own!
    okay calming down now lol....my blood pressure rises at the thought of that man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

ladylaughs wrote: »
    Dont know about the accent but will say I liked the movie....didnt know there was a book, otherwise I daresay i'd have been disappointed.
    It's rare that a movie can live up to the book! Now I will have to find a copy of that book and read it!!!
    And bad accent or not Gerard is a total hottie....sizzle sizzle steamy steamy cookie cutter cream cheese gimme some please! (stupid and silly I know, but I just couldnt help myself)
    The man could be mute and i'd feel the same! He could chirp like a bird, buzz like a bee, baaaaah like a sheep and I would STILL want him for my own!
    okay calming down now lol....my blood pressure rises at the thought of that man!
    + 1 girl....

even if he was mute i would still want him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Saw the trailer (it was recommended as a good laugh because of the accent). Looks like one of the worst films ever made. Nothing short of insulting.
    As for the book... actually I shouldn't really use the term "book" considering Nineteen Eighty Four is referred to as a book, as is The Great Gatsby, The Bell Jar, The Handmaid's Tale, The Secret History, Catch-22... etc

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Saw the trailer (it was recommended as a good laugh because of the accent). Looks like one of the worst films ever made. Nothing short of insulting.
    As for the book... actually I shouldn't really use the term "book" considering Nineteen Eighty Four is referred to as a book, as is The Great Gatsby, The Bell Jar, The Handmaid's Tale, The Secret History, Catch-22... etc

I'm dying to read the handmaid's tale actually, I saw a part of the movie. Very interesting.

Oh it's amazing - go get it asap. It's about christian fundamentalists running America - scary eh? Oh... wait...

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh it's amazing - go get it asap. It's about christian fundamentalists running America - scary eh? Oh... wait...

Oh I know what it's about - I keep meaning to buy it then forgetting when I'm in the shop and being distracted by scifi&fantasy :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Book was so badly written I genuinely couldn't get past the first few pages. How anyone could have continued to read such tripe is beyond me. I'm sure the film is even worse but I wouldn't put myself through it.

Also saw Cecilia Ahern on Ryan Tubridy to promote it a while back - was violently ill on myself. She was practically in tears talkin about how amazing it felt to watch its portrayal of Ireland and how proud it made her to promote her country in America. Apparently she "cries watching the news" (in other words, at anything). I'd cry at the news too if I had her Dad. She is a TWAT. And an untalented one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

pookie82 wrote: »
    Also saw Cecilia Ahern on Ryan Tubridy to promote it a while back - was violently ill on myself. She was practically in tears talkin about how amazing it felt to watch its portrayal of Ireland and how proud it made her to promote her country in America. Apparently she "cries watching the news" (in other words, at anything). I'd cry at the news too if I had her Dad. She is a TWAT. And an untalented one at that.

Ha ha ha...so not a fan then no?! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

However did you guess??? :-) She makes my blood boil.

pookie82 wrote: »
    Book was so badly written I genuinely couldn't get past the first few pages. How anyone could have continued to read such tripe is beyond me. I'm sure the film is even worse but I wouldn't put myself through it.

How proud she was to promote Ireland in America? :eek: Jesus Christ every time Ireland appeared in it they were getting out of a taxi in the middle of the boglands on some farm! Because in Ireland we're so backwards that we haven't got cities, it's all just fields and gorgeous farmers!! :rolleyes:

I must admit, I thought the guy that played William was alot more yummy that Gerard. He was the only good thing about the movie imo. Oh, and the song they played at the very end. I like that song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

It was ****E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Did people really expect it to be anything other than sh1te though?

Advertisement