Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

begining to consider triathlon

• 20-12-2007 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I wanted to set myself a good healthy goal for next year. Im considering doing a triathlon. Im a fairly allright swimmer/cycler/runner but im a 100% newbie to all this.
    I had a look at some websites and theres a lot of experts which is totally daunting.

Anyone know wheres the best place to start? Do any clubs cater for beginers?

Thanks!
    Stephen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

The best way to start (i found anyway) is to pick a race and start training for it. You'll find a list of races at www.triathlonireland.com and because you've paid for it, you're more motivated to train. There's a full list of clubs on that website, and they all cater for complete beginners. I keep meaning to join a club, but because my schedule changes week to week I can never be regular for training (that and i'm a lazy git during the winter:D)

As for training plans and stuff, check out www.trinewbies.com and www.beginnertriathlete.com they tend to have lots of info and www.trifuel.com has a load of articles and a very active forum for help.

If you're considering doing more than one race next year, it'd probably be worth your while joining triathlon ireland as you're fully covered under their insurance and you don't have to pay extra for one day racing licences which are €15 a pop.

If you've a bike and a pair of runners you're all set to go, just pick a race and get training!

Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Thats great info and quite positive! Thanks a lot
    Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

I'd have to agree... just pick a race.

It would help a lot if you can persuade a friend to join you... makes the training a lot easier, and each others' progress motivates you to keep up.

I'd suggest aiming for Sprint distance in your first year, unless you are already very athletic and like to aim high.

You don't say if you are already a good swimmer/biker/runner. You have the equipment to consider also.. Minimum you need is a wetsuit, bike and decent runners.

I only started Triathlon in the summer of 2007, and Loughrea (Sprint) was my first attempt at age 38. I have never been fit in my life. I am 5"11' & 224 lbs. However I was always an above average swimmer and I would be ok on the bike. My running is dreadful and only 3 times during training did I get as far as jogging the 5km. I only did about 3 brick session also.

I didn't follow any training program.. for swimming I just made sure that I could swim at least 1000m at a decent pace, by swimming twice per week.

I began biking to work (15km each) twice per week and I would simply try to do it as fast as I could each time.. only pain is traffic lights.

The running I tried to do twice per week.. but I hate(d) it :-)

Anyway.. what I guess I'm trying to say is that if Sprint Triathlon attracts you it's not all as hard as you might think. The most pleasant discovery for me was the wide variety of abilities in the athletes, and that most of them really treated it like a day out and there was not the seriousness that I was expecting.

You can stay back in the swim and let the others go on. I discovered that unless you are competitive it's not a race against others rather a challenge to yourself.

Read through the list of triathlons carefully... I'm thinking that Athy is probably good for beginners given it is flat. Athlone is supposed to have a great atmosphere and good public support to rally you on. I'd recommend Loughrea for the swim alone... I never thought I'd experience such crystal clear water in the swim.. it was excellent!

Anyway, I'm rambling... good luck in whatever you decide, and feel free to PM me as I still consider myself a newbie through and through. All I want to do is improve on my own times from now on :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I've got to agree with Dada there, on everything.
    I'm moderately fit, but don't do anything but swimming.
    I've set myself a goal of the start of May, the Joey Hannon Triathlon in UL doesn't require a wetsuit(indoor pool).
    I've been cycling and running 3 times a week at lunchtime for the last month or so, and now I have to split them up. I got myself a bike from the recommendations of some of the boards members.
    I'm doing it to lose some weight, but mostly just to get fit. If you every want to talk about how it's going, pm me.
    And keep up the good work. I'm know my resolve for the start of year is starting to wane already. :)

Advertisement