Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regarding money transfer/currency exchange

Options
  • 20-12-2007 12:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Quick question for you all. Heading off to Canada next Friday for a year. Rang the bank today to order travellers cheques to bring with me.

In total i'm bringing over $5000. I originally wanted $4000 in cheques, the rest in cash. They rang me back and left a message on my phone saying that they only do/have travellers cheques for US$'s. So i'm stumped on what to do now.

I don't particularly fancy carrying around $5000 in cash. Plus i don't know how long it will take to get an account set up over there and don't want a wad of cash sitting in the house.

So what are my options? I could just bring 1500 or so in cash. Leave the rest in my ire account and transfer it when i get an account sorted in Canada. But it could be a while before an account is set up over there and 1500 may not last long. Not only this but i don't know how long transfering takes or even how much the charges would be for something like that!

So, i'm open to suggestions as to what i could do!:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You could put it as credit on a CC if you have one. If you're in credit and you withdraw from an ATM there is no cash advance fee or interest.

Or you could try another, larger bureau de change.

Or you could just take the US$ and convert it there when needed.

Advertisement