Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something like Thief 3

Options
  • 20-12-2007 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed Thief 3, I thought it was immersing and fun, not like most first person games, not twitchy and wondering where you are being shot from. since there won't be any sequels I was wondering if any other first person games have a similar slant...more exploration, intelligent and atmospheric gameplay rather than shooting everything (badly, in my case)

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

eyerer wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Thief 3, I thought it was immersing and fun, not like most first person games, not twitchy and wondering where you are being shot from. since there won't be any sequels I was wondering if any other first person games have a similar slant...more exploration, intelligent and atmospheric gameplay rather than shooting everything (badly, in my case)

cheers

Assassin's Creed is kinda like it in a way??.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Deus Ex: Invisible War came out at the same time and was very similar - and very good. Give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Assassin's Creed and certain parts of Heavenly Sword are the closest I can think of to the sort of satisfying kills you could get in Thief 3.

But I think what you describe as "intelligent and atmospheric gameplay rather than shooting everything" might match up nicely to the Tom Clancy games - they're not really based around exploration but they are based on finding a good tactical position, staying behind cover, and carefully lining up and taking your shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is your best bet if your after something recent.

Theres also Penumbra if you can track it down, theres a shorter freeware version that the team realeased before they got picked up for a commercial realease that you can try first though.

Vampire Bloodlines is also good, although its more of a stripped down RPG using the Half Life 2 engine.

And finally, although it is a shooter, Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl is excellent on the atmosphere front.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Deus Ex: Invisible War came out at the same time and was very similar - and very good. Give it a go.
    BLASHPEMY!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I would of thought the obvious choice would be Thief 2. It's much better than the third one.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Plus there's loads of fan missions made for T2. There's also an unreal tournament based conversion called Thievery.

Everything can be found here

I presume you have played the Splinter Cell games? I've always really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

humanji wrote: »
    I would of thought the obvious choice would be Thief 2. It's much better than the third one.

Agreed, although the feature of the third of being able to go around the town and break into places was good, i thought the second game was better overall. Kept me going back to play more.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

That level on the rooftops - Life & Soul of the Party was one of the most memorable levels of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Thief 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and the TTLG forums are great, loads of really top quality fan made missions (fm's). I still play fm's for Thief occasionally, when I can get away from the fm's for Neverwinter Nights!

• Advertisement
Advertisement