Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late night radio

• 20-12-2007 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭

Simple question - Does any Irish radio station have a live, on-air DJ after 2am?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

I think FM104 do. Don't hold me to that though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

no it doesn't, just goes onto the night network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

Ok, I remembered a few years back there was a DJ on after 1am who done live competitions, obviously not anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Q102 used to up to last year. I haven't listened lately so can't be sure. If I remember correctly he was called jason and was on from 2 am till 6am,could even have been midnight till 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Jason Maine, a late night radio god, he was on FM104 for years too.

I'm often up at that hour, not that I listen to late night radio (in Ireland) I don't know of any stations broadcasting live. RTÉ turn themselves into a replay of earlier programmes, which I find annoying. Like, wtf is with playing Ireland's Biggest Jukebox, unedited with the Sunday's weather and requests, and asking people to txt in or ring for competitions at 5am on a Friday or Saturday morning? It beggars belief!

Phantom I do know go to 4am on Friday and Saturday nights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

ShaneU wrote: »
    no it doesn't, just goes onto the night network.

FM104 is still live overnight. The overnight show has a DJ in studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brian88

Hi, 96fm have somone on all night long in cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FluffyKidney

Q102 have a DJ on air through the night. The show is called night cruising and the presenters change, there's neil, lisa, wendy and some others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

FM104 have a live DJ throughout the night alright, with text in competitions each hour - IIRC they're still playing all their output from Audio CDs/MiniDisc and then their jingles/liners from a touchscreen PC, so they need at least one person on the desk all the time anyway to keep it going?

I think 98fm also occasionally have a live DJ on air overnight, vast majority of the time though, their overnights are voice tracked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

As I am up quite late and like to listen to quality talk radio (not phone in shows) there is nothing on live on Dublin and national radio after midnight. Therefore, I am forced to listen to foreign broadcasts Thank goodness for BBC Radio Five Live and the World Service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭stepinnman

5 Live is hands down the best station for late night listening - "Up all night" is easily one of the best magazine shows on radio - it's just a pity that it is on so late!!

stepinnman wrote: »
    5 Live is hands down the best station for late night listening - "Up all night" is easily one of the best magazine shows on radio - it's just a pity that it is on so late!!

Gotta agree with you on that, especially when Rhod Sharp is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

stepinnman wrote: »
    Yes. This is the main cause of my growing insomnia problem. Great show. I like Ian Collins on Talksport too. I hate that prat, Mendoza though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

FM104 is brill up to 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Radio Mad. wrote: »
    Gotta agree with you on that, especially when Rhod Sharp is on.

Yes I like Mr Sharp hate the other guy Datun Alibye a.
    Shamrok wrote: »
    I hate that prat, Mendoza though.

I like Mike Mendoza.

I like listening to NPR at night as well. In general NPR is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

What ever happened Jason Maine? He used to do Q102 overnights? He was different and sounded like a jock compared to the other AA Roadwatch people they use. I know he had a fan base state side thanks to the web. Hopefully he'll be back with 4fm. He's an ideal jock for that new licenced station.

Its a disgrace that not one of our national stations are not live 24hrs a day. It the best time to be on-air if you ask me. No holds barred radio:p
    Instead we're force fed yesterday's news

Greenman wrote: »
    Yes I like Mr Sharp hate the other guy Datun Alibye a.

Yeah, we seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet on this one. While I think Rhod Sharpe is great, I wouldn't be mad on Dotun Adebayo. There's such a huge contrast in styles between both.

bbability wrote: »
    What ever happened Jason Maine? He used to do Q102 overnights? He was different and sounded like a jock compared to the other AA Roadwatch people they use. I know he had a fan base state side thanks to the web. Hopefully he'll be back with 4fm. He's an ideal jock for that new licenced station.

As far as I know Jason Maine hasn't been dropped by Q. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't been on because he's sick, and has been for some time now.
    Its a disgrace that not one of our national stations are not live 24hrs a day. It the best time to be on-air if you ask me. No holds barred radio: Instead we're force fed yesterday's news

I wholeheartedly agree. RTE Radio One, in particular, should be a live 24/7 operation. The current diet of repeats and second-rate news bulletins for four or five hours overnight simply isn't good enough. Just imagine if RTE's equivalent in the UK, the BBC, followed suit. There'd be uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

I think FM104 do. Don't hold me to that though!

They do have the NightTime Network but that is done by a live DJ:)

Radio Mad. wrote: »
    As far as I know Jason Maine hasn't been dropped by Q. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't been on because he's sick, and has been for some time now.

I hope its nothing too serious. He's one hell of a jock and a huge loss to night time radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Zipper

Yes, 98fm...most nights. Fact!

I hope its nothing too serious. He's one hell of a jock and a huge loss to night time radio.

Just heard today that he might make a return with the new over 45s station. Here's hoping he does return sooner rather than later..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

Any news of the radio king of all DJ's Jason Maine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

colmranger wrote: »
    Any news of the radio king of all DJ's Jason Maine?

Its scary i just noticed a few days ago a few of his old collegues from pirate radio are all passed away and none of them were old.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Just heard today that he might make a return with the new over 45s station. Here's hoping he does return sooner rather than later..

I'll second that "Jas with the favs"

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Belated reply to this topic but Jason Maine was the main man (pun intended) on Radio Nova in the early 80s.

He had this jingle "Jas -setting the pace" and on his show he had this segment from 11pm to midnight, the Nova Nightcap it was called - theme tune was a Richard Clayderman style piano version of When A Man Loves A Woman. Those were the days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I would be a big fan of Jase however, you have to consider that he is of an age that didnt do formats, say what you like etc. Radio is lot different now to what Jason is used to. Last I hear he was on extended sick leave from Q102. To be honest, I really dont seem him coming back, unless blocker wants to help an old boy out.

Advertisement