Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Track

Options
  • 20-12-2007 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi guys

I'm not sure if there are many greyhound fans out there on Boards, but I just wanted to hear some views on Limerick track. As you may know, the track has recently been graded .20 fast (as of 10th Dec), and it's interesting to see the reaction to this.
    I see on todays Leader the reaction from that guy - basically saying that Limk is in fact 4 yards shorter than what it should be. And questioning how come they decided to grade it .2 fast (and not .3 as per other "fast" tracks)? The mind boggles alright. I think it'll be ok once we get used to it, but the transition period will have some effects on everyone. I guess it's very important to get it right in the future.

Also, another (very related!) issue is the new Limerick track. I see the planning application is finally gone in today. I hear from a few people that it isn't very clear if planning will be granted. Knowing our luck, it won't go ahead and we'll be left with what he have for some time to come. Personally, I favoured the Greenmount site, at the new racecourse - this is an ideal location. I pity the poor people travelling up from Cork or Kerry trying to get at the Dock Road(or even if there's an entrance off South Circular Rd) trying to get through the traffic at 6pm peak time.

Anyway, that's my few pennies worth! I am not knocking the track at all, just have some issues with it. I'm an avid owner/trainer, and glad to say that most of the dogs in Limerick are well above average in terms of ability. Go on Skywalker Ace, what a legend of a dog and one for the future, well done to Rory Ryan for breeding him (in Limerick!)....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Infrequent visitor to track but do have an interest in dogs and live locally - big issue will be on sale price of pups which will surely diminish - anyway heres hoping we can relocate to Greenpark asap - Dec 09 is proposed opening - will believe it when I see it - Happy new yr

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭manaboutdog

I'm a regular supporter of Limerick myself, owner/trainer of a good few dogs there. To be honest I don't think the 0.20 is enough for a Monday night but the track usually runs 20 to 30 spots slower on a thursday night I've found, Saturday is usally somewhere in between.

The whole idea of standard going allowances is a joke anyway. There should be an allowance made on each individual race night down to the judgement of the RM.

Also on the subject of selling dogs out of Limerick(which greatly affects me) I think this is a positive move, people had lost all confidence in Limerick form before this and hopefully now it'll be restored to some extent, and good dogs will make good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 s**tstirrer

How in gods name is it possible for the speed of the track to vary depending on what night of the week it is? Does it have something to do with the lunar cycle or something or are the dogs in limerick just likely to run faster on a Saturday night due to fact that it's the weekend and they're in good form?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭manaboutdog

The track is ploughed every wednesday after trials on a tuesday, it is loose on a thursday night, but settles in by saturday and even more so by Monday, have you ever seen the difference in a horse race between softer ground and harder ground? Track runs slower when it's soft, no? Same principle.

Is it still difficult for you to understand? Want me to draw you a diagram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 s**tstirrer

Send on that diagram there alright. Do you not think you should have explained that in your first reply. Without that info it didn't make a whole pile of sense. What do you think is the effect time wise on racing due to the settling of the track from thursday to monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

Guys just look at the racing in the Uk. Each race is given a rating on whether it is +10 -10 Normal etc. This is what I think manabloutdog is talking about. The RM should be making calls on each race. So many factors contribute to whether a track is running fast or slow.
    Weather, for example, alot of rain on most tracks would make to track slow and more suitable for wide seeds due to the track and how the bends are cambered. Anyway I could be here all day discussing this.

Regarding that article in the leader.That was digging up old news. That point was raised firstly when the track moved from a mixture of grass\sand to an all sand surface. At that stage the track was measured and the measurements were accurate.

When will Limerick get its new track, well it should have had it 10 years ago and its a disgrace this has not happened. Limericks TD's have alot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hi guys

I pity the poor people travelling up from Cork or Kerry trying to get at the Dock Road(or even if there's an entrance off South Circular Rd) trying to get through the traffic at 6pm peak time.

That's a good point. Its a nightmare trying to get out of that exit on the south circular road at anytime, never mind after a race meeting. I'm sure that all this was factored in when the planning was being sought though. Isn't the new road going to be running parallel to Greenpark, surely they'll have an exit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

By the time the greyhound track is built the Shannon Tunnell will be open which in turn will take a huge volume of traffic off the dock road.

It's an ideal location in my opinon as it will now be very easily accessible from all approaches to the city.

Advertisement