Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

meteor GPRS/Edge data charges!!!!

• 20-12-2007 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Bloody hell, just looked at 2 BBC sport web pages and it cost me 42c!!! Whats that all about? Is there an add on i can get for data or is it all pay as you use???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

checked livescore.com at the weekend when i changed over from 3 and it cost me nearly €2. couldn't believe it... their charges are crazy.. also does anyone know if its cheaper to use the WAP settings or GPRS settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

well the wap and gprs settings are the same. what you want is the isp settings. that's 0.48c/kb instead of 2c/kb so its just ridiculously expensive instead of insanely expensive.

you can get data add ons but only on bill pay. are you both on bill pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

what you want is the isp settings. that's 0.48c/kb instead of 2c/kb so its just ridiculously expensive instead of insanely expensive.

I was trying to get this a few months ago, but no-one at Meteor customer care had heard of ISP settings :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

No pay as you go. Im using the isp.mymeteor.ie settings for my internet. I rang meteor the other day to get it set up. The customer care team knew nothing about this. I demanded to speak with tech support and they set it up for me straight away. So im using the isp instead of wap/gprs. Still expensive though. Downloaded an email via outlook email on WM6 (pop3) and it was a 4kb email which cost around 2c to download as far as i can work out. Websites with pics are very costly. Service is fast though. Have to give them that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

i'm pay as you go also

im using the meteor wap settings on my phone

i rang meteor just now to set up isp settings on my phone. Now i don't know enough to explain to meteor what i want and he was trying to set up my phone to connect as a modem to my laptop. Is that what I want to do and then use these settings to access the internet on my phone?

Sorry i'm a bit dense when it comes to these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ask to speak to the tech dept and tell them you want to use your mobile as a modem for your laptop and they should change the settings for you.

The bill pay data add-ons are much cheaper.

Customer service is still as bad as ever.

If its a smartphone you have and need to check your email via outlook Windows mobile and internet explorer you need to ask meteor to turn on HLR for ISP! You need to follow these instructions: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055166087

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

its taking the piss. 5 eur to check the train times. maybe less if i had turned off images before.

i can only afford to use the meteor ISP for email. so checking usually costs a cent. it would be nice if i could use it for ssh without paying too much

ive just sent them a stern email asking why they dont have data add ons for Pay as you go. I dont want to move over to bill pay as im an old pay as you go customer with free mms/sms for life. I dont make many voice calls at all, just text and data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'm on contract got an E65 a few weeks ago started checking my yahoo and hotmail emails once a day on Opera using low graphics mode- came to over 1 meg on my last bill - ba$tards charged me €18!!
    I pay €37 a month on my wireless broadband scheme and I can download 1000 times that much - how the hell do they expect to grow their data business if they screw people like this. I'll be using my wireless router from now on they can shag off.

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    ive just sent them a stern email asking why they dont have data add ons for Pay as you go.
    answer:to make you move to bill pay

3 are the only company that do a data add on on pre pay but they're crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

eamon234 wrote: »
    I'm on contract got an E65 a few weeks ago started checking my yahoo and hotmail emails once a day on Opera using low graphics mode- came to over 1 meg on my last bill - ba$tards charged me €18!!
    I pay €37 a month on my wireless broadband scheme and I can download 1000 times that much - how the hell do they expect to grow their data business if they screw people like this. I'll be using my wireless router from now on they can shag off.

Your ignorance of their data plans and non plan prices is hardly their fault. They have a low usage plan of 15megs that would have cost you 80% less than what you were charged, and it would give you complete freedom based on what you're using. They do advertise that in your welcome pack on the first bill plus it's in all their catalogs. I'd suggest using that as it works out way cheaper, especially when wifi coverage is ****e in Ireland. When I was in NY, I could pick from at least 10 at a time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Ahh Hopefully 2008 3G will finally be rolled out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

don't ever use webmail on a mobile phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

towel401 wrote: »
    don't ever use webmail on a mobile phone.

Only a problem on pay as you go.
    If you want to use the internet on your phone, you want to be on a billpay.
    No point complaining about those prices when different prices are available.

I get 10G data allowance on my mobile for €30 a month from meteor.
    I can use webmail, google mail applet, googleearth, chat, opera mini,
    never had a problem with any application I've tried. I'm not meant to
    use VOIP applications as far as the contract goes, but that's not a problem
    personally.

My only net connection out here is a Vodafone 3G card, and though I'm
    technically on the "Unlimited" contract, I've no need to push that regularly.
    The meteor EDGE connection is a great backup for when I can't get a Vodafone
    signal due to FOG or similar show stoppers...
    On a day when I have to rely on meteor, I might pull down 150M or so.
    I'd hate to see the bill on a prepay for that unexpectedly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm just after moving to meteor prepay now.

What's the story with charges on the isp access point? Is it 0.48c per kb or is it that in a 1mb block?

its charged per kb, you don't have to pay a minimum. you need to get the right settings on your phone and get meteor to activate the isp access point on your accoun because its turned off by default

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

its charged per kb, you don't have to pay a minimum. you need to get the right settings on your phone and get meteor to activate the isp access point on your accoun because its turned off by default

Tell me about it... on the phone all last night and this morning to incompetent "technical support" staff. Anytime i get someone who knows what they are talking about, the call is dropped! Is the "connecting the laptop to the internet via my phone" approach the fastest and easiest way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

snaps wrote: »
    No pay as you go. Im using the isp.mymeteor.ie settings for my internet. I rang meteor the other day to get it set up. The customer care team knew nothing about this. I demanded to speak with tech support and they set it up for me straight away.
    Hate to burst your bubble but tech support don't take external calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

getting a "packet data not available" error when trying to use isp settings. Does this mean they haven't set me up yet ?
    Also, can anyone confirm whether the password is "isp" or "meteor" ?

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    getting a "packet data not available" error when trying to use isp settings. Does this mean they haven't set me up yet ?
    Also, can anyone confirm whether the password is "isp" or "meteor" ?

Snap! I get the same error. I cant even connect to normal wap anymore...

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    Hate to burst your bubble but tech support don't take external calls.

You must work for meteor then........As the person i spoke to didnt know what i was on about and she said she was going to put me through to some one in technical support and i spoke to someone different. The person i spoke to set my account to HLR for ISP with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Finally,after 4 calls to customer service and a trip to the shop, the isp settings are working for me now.

The operator said they needed to "turn on my GPRS". Had to insist that she call tech support on it though.

Anyways, happy out. Roll on the 3G :)

long_b wrote: »
    The operator said they needed to "turn on my GPRS". Had to insist that she call tech support on it though.

Exactly the same story with me.... You would think it would be turned on by default...

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Snap! I get the same error. I cant even connect to normal wap anymore...

try selecting "go to address" and going to google or something. your phone might not say go to address exactly but it'll say something similar.

i have the isp settings and if i try to go to the meteor hmoe page it says connection not available but the rest of the internet works

try selecting "go to address" and going to google or something. your phone might not say go to address exactly but it'll say something similar.

i have the isp settings and if i try to go to the meteor hmoe page it says connection not available but the rest of the internet works
    Na i got it working. See my post above.. GPRS was not active on my account :rolleyes:

Advertisement