Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bog Oak - how to cut?

Options
  • 20-12-2007 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭

I have a bog oak that was taken out of the ground roughly 15 years ago and I want to be able to cut and sculpt it into a mantlepiece (the train track sleeper type) and also as a handrail.

I have never tried this before on a bog oak and since it is so bloody hard (goodbye several chainsaw blades!) I was wondering if anyone here would be able to advise me on the best way to proceed?

Cheers in advance.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

i have cut bog oak a few times and have found :
    it can be hard on chainsaw teeth but this can be as much to do with grit and dirt in the log - a good power hose , and peel of any loose bits that grit can get trapped behind etc....
    i rip mine on a bandsaw - fit a metal cutting blade if you find it too tough on the wood blade.
    if you are trying for a smooth finish you will have your work cut out planing and sanding - a more rustic look could be acheived straight off the saw and a bit of sand blasting ........

i'm sure it will look great finished
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Cheers for the tip Geoff. Thankfully I'm a bit spoiled for where to cut as it's just over a meter in diameter and about 10 long.

Was thinking of carving the name of my new house into the bottom of the trunk and putting it just outside the front door as well.

Can't wait to get started :)

Advertisement