Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GPS Users - Dangerous ?

Options
  • 20-12-2007 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Are drivers fiddling with GPS units in cars as dangerous to other drivers as drivers on mobile phones?

Is there a chance that we will see a new offence / points category created for people who use GPS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hagar wrote: »
    Are drivers fiddling with GPS units in cars as dangerous to other drivers as drivers on mobile phones?

Is there a chance that we will see a new offence / points category created for people use GPS?

I would say they are just if not more dangerous, but would the same not apply to people changing radio stations, etc?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have often wondered about this. Even having a brightly lit screen in front of you while driving has to be a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I have mine on the lowest brightness level, which can even sometimes be too bright. But as long as the route is calculated before you set off, I don't really think it's a distraction. The only time I have to touch it really is to zoom out at roundabouts to make sure it knows the roundabout and is telling me to take the right exit, for example, a new roundabout could have a new 1st exit, which would be a left turn, but the GPS is telling me to take the 1st exit, I zoom out and it means straight ahead.

I don't see pressing zoom out as a hindrance at all but trying to plan a new route going along the motorway can be quite distracting, typing in the location, making sure it's in the right area etc. There's a way to do it safely though so it's not so bad, you can ignore it much easier than ignoring a phonecall so I don't think it's as bad. Anyone who has to fiddle with them en-route would generally be couriers and the likes who hopefully have good driving experience.

Is it the lesser of two evils though? Distracting yourself for a few seconds or going around like a headless chicken looking for somewhere, making wrong turns, slowing down and pissing off the drivers behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah its really dangerous.

Even more dangerous than mobiles and I'll tell you why.

On a mobile, you can text or chat and it wont be too bad; take testing, you know what button does what, you can text without looking at the phone most of the time, and keep a good eye on the road. Only occasionally glancing down.

On my gps, the one dial does everything, so if you're typing in an address or going through menus, you have to give it your full attention. You cant just press a number of buttons whose functions you're aware of while keeping an eye on the road, its way more intensive and diverts far more attention from the road.

I dont think following a GPS's directions once its engaged is too dangerous, its more like following a road sign that's constantly on your dash; though I have found that it can cause you to focus less on the real road signs.

So yeah, pretty dangerous - I dont think they can really put a ban on though, possibly do you for dangerous driving if they see you doing something stupid which is far more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Tails142 wrote: »
    On my gps, the one dial does everything, so if you're typing in an address or going through menus, you have to give it your full attention. You cant just press a number of buttons whose functions you're aware of while keeping an eye on the road, its way more intensive and diverts far more attention from the road.
    Thats why you are meant to set them before you go and stop if you need to adjust them. Anyone adjusting them en route could be done for driving with due care surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Slightly O/T: is it illegal to watch TV while driving a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Tails142 wrote: »
    Yeah its really dangerous.

Even more dangerous than mobiles and I'll tell you why.

On a mobile, you can text or chat and it wont be too bad; take testing, you know what button does what, you can text without looking at the phone most of the time, and keep a good eye on the road. Only occasionally glancing down.

I dont think following a GPS's directions once its engaged is too dangerous, its more like following a road sign that's constantly on your dash; though I have found that it can cause you to focus less on the real road signs.

So yeah, pretty dangerous - I dont think they can really put a ban on though, possibly do you for dangerous driving if they see you doing something stupid which is far more likely.

You just set it before you go off...???

My sat nav doesn't let me put in any locations unless I am stopped. The only time I touch it is if the charger becomes loose in the cig lighter thing, then it asks me to I want it to carry on or switch itself off. I just have to press one button and it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lethally dangerous - when you combine fiddling with them when driving, having a "funny" voice as 90% of TomTom user seem to have bought telling you what to do and a bright screen glaring at you all night with the amount of blind sheep who do exactly what it says without checking...

I know someone (the former CEO of a now bankrupt software firm) who broke his collar bone by blindly taking a "turn left now" in to the path of a tram in Germany....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

unkel wrote: »
    Slightly O/T: is it illegal to watch TV while driving a car?
    I believe it is, AFAIK it's illegal to fit a TV screen in a car where it is visible by the driver if it can be operated while the vehicle is in motion.

Makes sense when you think about it.

/edit

There must be a very fine line in law, if any, between a TV screen and any other screen which shows a moving picture such as a GPS.

I am only starting driving and wouldn't have a clue where lots of places are, I have no sense of direction. Most of the places I want to go to are shopping centres, work etc, so I would know the general area. I usually check the route the sat nav has given me before using it. For example if it tells me to go on a motorway I tell it to suggest an alternative route. If I did not check I would have ended up on the motorway and I have never driven on one before.

• Advertisement

I know you're a learner, and hence shouldn't be on them, but... if you've driven on a proper dual carraigeway - N7, N4, etc - a motorway isn't much different. Theres no traffic lights, no chance of crossing traffic, no random entrances and exits.

However, as goes route planning, most of us have these things called "maps". I've got a back seat covered in them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Like all things they are dangerous if they distract you from driving. The last time I had a real brown trouser incident was when an oncoming driver turned right in front of me while looking at the GPS and following the directions. The GPS didn't make the car turn instead the driver turned without looking or indicating. By themselves GPS systems won't cause crashes, it's always the driver. Same goes for newspapers, radios, phones, maps, food, coffee, etc...

Thats why the topic is "GPS users" not "GPS units", obviously - the GPS itself is just a means to a (potentially fatal...) end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Of course you set your route before you start and you stop if you have to make changes ...

...and then you get the right GPS!

-mine automatically zooms in and out at junctions and roundabouts
    -has a big , clear screen with adjustable brightness and a night setting
    -gives clear, concise directions well in advance and right on the dot (and shuts up otherwise), in fact the voice directions are so good that I don't even need to look at the screen

I have never found it distracting (to the contrary!) and have no need to do any "fiddling" whatsoever while driving

Route 66 chicago, btw

EDIT
    I would deem my (non driving) wife shouting "ooh" and "did you see that?" at things outside my field of vision (i.e. some scenery or whatever) far more distracting than the GPS :D

MYOB wrote: »
    However, as goes route planning, most of us have these things called "maps". I've got a back seat covered in them ;)

I know what a map is but I would prefer to have to just look up at a screen to see where I am going rather than have to keep pulling in to read a map.

But if you're looking at the screen, you're letting something distract you from the road... coming back to the danger point again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I had one for a while and did notice myself being distracted by it. However, I quickly copped on and relied on the voice commands only, which worked out fine.

Although, I have seen people driving with a map, or written directions, open on their steering wheel. Now that is just damn stupid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

cormie wrote: »
    Is it the lesser of two evils though? Distracting yourself for a few seconds or going around like a headless chicken looking for somewhere, making wrong turns, slowing down and pissing off the drivers behind you.
    Have to disagree with you there. I'd much rather you got lost for a few minutes, and possibly in that time learnt how to read the road signs, instead of you taking your eyes off the road to look at the pretty pictures on your GPS screen. Pissing off the people behind you becasue you happen to go around a round-a-bout a couple of times whilst you get another look at the signs is far better than the other option.

MYOB wrote: »
    But if you're looking at the screen, you're letting something distract you from the road... coming back to the danger point again.

I only need to glance at the screen for a second, I have it beside my rear view mirror so I don't even have to turn my head. It takes no longer than looking in the mirror itself or at the wing mirror.

Mine has a night mode too, the screen is dark except for the roads.

I would much rather not use a map, having to turn them around etc, is awkward.

Mine tells me 800M in advance when I need to make a turn and then tells me again when I am nearer the turn. It is great because if the next turn is not for say 2.1km I can relax for a bit instead of constantly looking at a mao, trying to figure out how far away a particular turn is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

robinph wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there. I'd much rather you got lost for a few minutes, and possibly in that time learnt how to read the road signs, instead of you taking your eyes off the road to look at the pretty pictures on your GPS screen. Pissing off the people behind you becasue you happen to go around a round-a-bout a couple of times whilst you get another look at the signs is far better than the other option.

you obviously don't have a Sat-Nav, or do you?

Negotiating a roundabout with the Sat-Nav on mine sounds like this:

well in advance: "ahead, at the roundabout, take the second exit"

when you're about 50m from the roundabout: "at the roundabout, take the second exit"

at the exit: "now, take the exit"

No need to look at any screens ...on the contrary, you can concentrate on the signs well in advance and check if you're satnav is correct and if it is indeed the second exit and line yourself up correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

peasant wrote: »
    you obviously don't have a Sat-Nav, or do you?
    I do actually but although it does autorouting it does not speak to you and so is not actually intended for use in vehicle navigation. I have used it many times though as the passenger of the car with me being the voice, and also a filter for clearly stupid instructions that it will tend to give you. I was replying to someone else who claimed it was better to be distraced for a few seconds than for them to just pay attention to where they are going though

Whenever driving somewhere I don't know myself, have a good look at the map before hand, if it's a particularly long or complicated way then just pick out a list of road numbers or major towns and remember them. Then head off driving and read the road signs and keep your common sense engaged, if I reach a point where they stop signposting where I was expecting then keep going until they do start signing it again. I might end up going round in circles on occasion but I'd much rather do that than crash into someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

well i think it comes down to common sense..

if something is distracting you and you're acknowledging it's a hazard why the **** do you use it then? :rolleyes:

Just because it's legal and you can?

There comes a time when law and rules go out the window and common sense comes in. If something distracts you whilst driving and you know it could *potentially* slow down your reactions or put other drivers at risk, get rid of it or organise you trip better, have pre-installed destinations etc..

I'm getting a sat nav for christmas, but have driven with loads of them before.. i just use it/look as it as i do a speedo.. quick glance.

If it's too fiddly, stop the car, sort it out and be on your way - simple.

Don't drive at 100km/hr, eyes off the road trying to type in a location with a touchscreen.

COMMON SENSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was replying to someone else who claimed it was better to be distraced for a few seconds than for them to just pay attention to where they are going though

I didn't claim that, I questioned which was better ;)

And when I said "distracted" for a few seconds, I meant by putting in a new destination. I don't think it's distracting at all to actually observe a calculated route, not with my GPS anyway. Also using route66 Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Hagar wrote: »

Is there a chance that we will see a new offence / points category created for people who use GPS?

There about as dangerous as any driver fiddling about with anything while driving.

smemon wrote: »
    Don't drive at 100km/hr, eyes off the road trying to type in a location with a touchscreen.

COMMON SENSE.
    I'd say they are actually more dangerous being used going slowly around town than whilst speeding along a motorway. There are far more actions you can do that will result in an accident with another vehicle or pedestrian whilst driving around a town with the car driver unaware of what is going on around you them than whilst on a motorway where basically you are just following the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Yup my driving goes to **** when changing the route or choosing the detour etc. I have a nuvi370 but im getting used to the touchscreen and using common features without looking but by just by feel. I only enter addresses etc at lights or when stopped (used to do it when driving but then decided its not worth the risk even driving in a straight line isnt that easy while trying to enter addresses because you need to look at it for more than just a few seconds etc.).

I can text without even looking at my phone (just a quick glance at end to make sure the T9 didnt screw anything up) and radio again by feel alone like all secondary car controls.

So in order of danger

#1 (HIGH): GPS
    #2 (MED depending on how well you know your phone): Mobile
    #3 (LOW again unless your a blond girl with CD's :p ): Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

You're experience must be somewhere other than Ireland...

The road signage here is unbelieveably bad. Try driving in Athlone without being already familiar with the drections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

It basically all depends on where you have the GPS attached and settings used. Mine when attached it under the rearview mirror, so its not a distraction and its basically like glancing at the rearview mirror. I have the default settings which only allow you to fiddle with it when the car is stopped. Also since the sat nav speaks, I rarely have to look at the screen for directions, I just listen as it gives advanced notice of turns. If used properly they are not dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

AntiVirus wrote: »
    There about as dangerous as any driver fiddling about with anything while driving.

Better to get the GF or wife to fiddle about with it for you. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

A map on the steering wheel is much safer.

Do people really need to have penalty points as a substitute for common sense?

Are people really that thick that the need to be babysat in everything they do?

Do personal freedoms count for anything anymore in ireland, or is the Nanny state welcomed with open arms?

Advertisement