Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GPS Users - Dangerous ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cancan wrote: »
    A map on the steering wheel is much safer.
    You are joking, aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Slight bit of sarcasm there - penalty points for maps too?

How about listening to the radio - distracting yes - two points
    Day dreaming - 4 points
    Thinking about boning the secratary - 6 points.....

You see where is ends...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cancan wrote: »
    Slight bit of sarcasm there - penalty points for maps too?

How about listening to the radio - distracting yes - two points
    Day dreaming - 4 points
    Thinking about boning the secratary - 6 points.....

You see where is ends...
    No sarcasm intended at all. If you want to consult a map, then stop in a safe place, consult it and then move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Sorry - i was being sarcastic...:')

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LuckyStar wrote: »
    I only need to glance at the screen for a second, I have it beside my rear view mirror so I don't even have to turn my head. It takes no longer than looking in the mirror itself or at the wing mirror.

Mine has a night mode too, the screen is dark except for the roads.

I would much rather not use a map, having to turn them around etc, is awkward.

Mine tells me 800M in advance when I need to make a turn and then tells me again when I am nearer the turn. It is great because if the next turn is not for say 2.1km I can relax for a bit instead of constantly looking at a mao, trying to figure out how far away a particular turn is.

You're not meant to "relax for a bit" when driving! This is the source of all the danger of people relying on them for directions - they assume they're infallible... they are NOT a substitute for paying attention to the road yourself.

As goes "turning them around", fold out maps are not intended for use *in* the car (I'm just about old enough to remember the ones with the woman unfolding the map on the bonnet of a Fiat Regata on the front), map books are. They're far easier to handle, and anyway, its not like you check them when driving...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

blackbox wrote: »
    You're experience must be somewhere other than Ireland...

The road signage here is unbelieveably bad. Try driving in Athlone without being already familiar with the drections.
    Well until recenlty the standard of any GPS maps for Ireland was even worse than the actual road signage. You do need to have a reasonable sense of direction for driving and navigation using the road signage, and I think you proably actually need an even better sense of direction if your using a GPS so that you know when to ignore it. Of course a lot of people seem to just disengage their brains when the GPS is on instead and just blindly follow what it tells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Until "recently"? I have to tell taxi drivers NOT to put my house in to GPS or it sends them two estates away; and I've seen brand new systems that don't have the M4 on them out of the box, and lots of people don't have the know-how to update them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

MYOB wrote: »
    Until "recently"? I have to tell taxi drivers NOT to put my house in to GPS or it sends them two estates away; and I've seen brand new systems that don't have the M4 on them out of the box, and lots of people don't have the know-how to update them.

i dont understand why people would need to fiddle around with a gps while
    driving, you put in your destination before you start off and thats all you need to do, if you take a wrong turn or direction then it will re-calculate
    a new route automatically,

i think gps is great in places where you are not familar with the road layout.
    e.g. saves crawling along for 2 miles pissing off the drivers behind you while
    trying to find a turn off in the dark.

whats the difference in glancing in your rear view mirror or wing mirrors
    and glancing at a gps for a sec.?????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

whats the difference in glancing in your rear view mirror or wing mirrors and glancing at a gps for a sec.?????
    Well your supposed to be looking in your mirrors in order to be aware of what is going on around you, looking at the GPS does not help you in that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

MYOB wrote: »
    You're not meant to "relax for a bit" when driving!.

Nah when I say relax I mean that I am not coming up to every turn straining and worrying to see if this is the one I am meant to take, because the GPS has told me mine isn't for another say 500m.

Like I am still quite nervous and the GPS relaxes me. It doesn't make me into a zombie or anything, it just gives me one less thing to worry about, the more relaxed I am when I am driving, the less likely I am to panic and do something hasty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement