Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bang restaurant - bad service

• 20-12-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone experienced this place? I heard the food here was gorgeous so I booked the place for a work dinner recently. There was 15 of us, and about half the party were 20 minutes late. While we waited for them, we were ignored. Only once everyone was there, did the staff bring over bread and water! When one of our party ordered wine, the waiter was extremely condescending of his choices - I realise it is helpful to be recommended a wine, but not in this manner!

Our starters took 45 minutes to arrive! And they were nothing special. I had a honey roast parsnip and chestnut soup which was nothing special, and tasted only of parsnips. I had parsnip for my main which was covered in a sauce that was so sickly sweet I couldn't finish it. Twice I went to the bathroom and they removed my plates without asking the people at my table if they thought I was finished!

At 8.45pm the same waiter came over and said "Sorry, no desserts for anyone - we need this table back". I realise our party did not arrive on time but to be spoken to like this was amazing, especially considering how tardy they were in bringing out our food! Eventually they gave us a 15 minute extension, and served us our desserts which were slammed down on the table, tea and coffee was brought over with no milk or sugar, desserts were missing ice cream as advertised on the menu etc.

Would never visit this place again! You expect in a fairly expensive restaurant like Bang that you will get friendly and professional service, not to be treated like dirt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

this place was good a couple of years ago. I was thinking of bringing my g/f there soon, but I've heard a lot of bad reviews about it recently and won't be bothered.
    Shame you had a really bad experience. I hope you didn't tip! It's experiences like that which make you appreciate great service when you receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

i've been there a few times and had no complaints at all, i guess some restraurants just bite off more than they can chew at xmas time and the service suffers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I've been there a few times with work, nothing outstanding tbh just the usual hype. I certainly wouldn't go with my friends/bf/family. The wait staff leave a lot to be desired, most people who have complained about it to me have been upset by the wait staff. You'd swear they were God's gift to wine lists:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eth0_ wrote: »
    When one of our party ordered wine, the waiter was extremely condescending of his choices - I realise it is helpful to be recommended a wine, but not in this manner!
    Sounds like a total tosser tbh. Why is the wine on the list on the first place if it's that bad? Some people are just knobs I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Sounds like a total tosser tbh. Why is the wine on the list on the first place if it's that bad? Some people are just knobs I suppose.

It wasn't that it was bad wine, just that the two wines my colleague picked out would 'taste very similar'. It was good advice, marred by the condescending attitude of the member of staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Booked the upstairs for a work do once. They charged us for the few seats that weren't used up there, despite the fact that we spent an absolute fortune. Didn't go back. Steak and chips were excellent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I've heard nothing but bad reviews also... was going to go there this week, but we booked somewhere else instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

It averages 3.5 stars on Menu Pages so it can't be that bad. My mom goes there a bit and quite likes it. Never been myself but I'll certainly give it a try at some point to see what the hype is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The food isn't awful but it's vastly over-hyped.

As a matter of interest, Laslo - are you from North America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

The food isn't awful but it's vastly over-hyped.

That wouldn't surprise me.
    As a matter of interest, Laslo - are you from North America?

No, Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

The food is nice but the service is slow and the restaurant itself is cramped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's crap. It was good about five years ago. I've been there three times in last two years - I wouldn't bring anybody there but I get taken out for lunch sometimes and I can't really object to somebody else's choice - and each time it was terrible. The bangers nearly made me puke at the table once, the cod is tasteless and I can get a similar quality steak in a pub.
    Coincidentally, Drummerboy the place I work booked the upstairs there about three years ago for dinner. They kept on opening new bottles of wine before pouring out the rest of the ones that were already open so by the end of the night there was about eight half empty bottles. Nice for the restaurant, ripoff for the customer and I suppose that was the beginning of my negative experiences there.

Advertisement