Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jerrycan in the van - is it safe

Options
  • 20-12-2007 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello forum,

Is keeping a jerrycan of diesel in the back of your transit safe? What with the can being metal and maybe getting knocked about abit? Saw the jerrycan in woodies and thought just the ticket in case I run out of diesel in the middle of nowhere , but is it safe?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Yeah, diesel is safe enough, just secure the can so it won’t spill or you will have a stinking mess in the back of the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Diesel is safe and won't explode too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Metal Jerrycans are the safest way of carrying fuel.
    Plastic ones are not great.
    If you are getting a metal jerrycan try and get a clamp on spout, they are great for pouring without mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Had a Jerrycan of Diesel in my Berlingo for 2 years. Shouldn't be an issue, wish petrol was safer to carry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Indeed, diesel burns, petrol explodes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

even petrol is pretty safe to be honest, although its a lot more volitile than diesel., lighting petrol is actually pretty hard without a naked flame or really strong spark.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I used to carry two jerrycans full of petrol in a VW combi travelling around Oz, still alive, make sure its secured well, ie bunjys strapped and put a pin through the cap to prevent the lid from opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jgoodman05

Cheers lads, Glad it wasn't a waste of quids, shall fill it up next time I'm at the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

jgoodman05 wrote: »
    Cheers lads, Glad it wasn't a waste of quids, shall fill it up next time I'm at the garage

;) Very Handy indeed...i had to use it once when i was running on fumes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make sure its an approved type and keep it fairly full (not so much that it spill when you open it). Try to keep it out of sight also.

With most fuels the risk is fumes, not the liquid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement