Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

skoda went bang:(

Options
  • 20-12-2007 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭

so pulled off from a traffic lights last night and then a bang and what sounded like it was scrapping off somthing and a knocking... id say its eather the clutch or a probshaft??? to be honest tho i wouldent have a clue what it is....

so the questions:
    any one know what happened? ( by the off chance)
    would garages be open this time of year? would they be too busy to see me this side of christmas?
    and if they are open this week.. if they have to order parts how long would it take them?
    also any garages in dublin? im in dublin 7 and in my travels have seen a skoda garage up the road any one have there number?

cheers
    anto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Timing Belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

its phoenix motors in Dublin 7 www.phoenixmotors.ie and th enumber there is 01 838 0799

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

cheers pete.. rang them closed from tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm selling an Octavia, if it's any help to you?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Try this place
    3b St James Avenue (Off Clonliffe Rd)
    Owner 0868013266

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hardly a propshaft. Only rwd cars have those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

We need more info to help fault find. Does the engine turn over in neutral without problems? Where does the sound come from? Is it knocking engine speed or drivetrain speed related? If the engine is running fine in neutral, can you get under the car, put it in neutral, and rotate the drive train with your hand to check for slack or damage. See if you can jack up the car and spin the wheels with you hands, listening and feeling for roughness in the rotation, and check for looseness, and put one hand at the top and one hand at the bottom of the wheel and rock in wheel to if a wheel bearing has collpased.

I had a big bang from the what sounded like the back of my car 2 weeks ago, and a clunk clunk clunk noise that was speed related. Once the engine was in gear, the car drove and the clunk noise remained. I believed something in the drive train was knackered - a CV joint, diff or G box bearing, handbrake spring etc. I asked myself these questions above and found that the handbrake shoe had disintegrated after the spring snapped behind the rear left brake disc. It happened accelerating away from the lights, but I reckon this is rare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

anto-t wrote: »
    so pulled off from a traffic lights last night and then a bang and what sounded like it was scrapping off somthing and a knocking... id say its eather the clutch or a probshaft??? to be honest tho i wouldent have a clue what it is....

My first thoughts are similar to kluivert - timing belt? Did the car continue to drive - if so did you continue to hear knocks etc? Are there any other symptoms?

I've sent you a PM of an excellent garage in D7.

Andrewf20 : going to try that now... only have my normal car jack but ill be able to get under id say.

the car will go in nutraul sounds grand
    when i put it in gear the knocking starts again and it wont move... i noticed that the speedo went up to 20 tho :S
    when i was being towed there was a knocking sound every 2 seconds or so ( incrweased with speed)

most if not all garages are closed now till the new year so wont be getting it fixed till then anyway...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Engine sounds ok then. Maybe a driveshaft or gearbox issue.

• Advertisement

Okay, so it sounds like you engine is running fine in neutral so it sounds like the timing belt is okay. Thank God. Ill assume then that with the car in neutral and running you had no foot on the clutch, with no noise, suggesting that the clutch is probably ok.

"when I put it in gear the knocking starts again and it wont move... " This sound like the gearbox or diff is knackered. I would probably try pulling off in 2nd to see if that gives any clues. Im not sure about the exact transmission setup of your car, but Ill assume its engine - gearbox - driveshaft - diff - wheels.

If you jack up the 2 front wheels, and spin one wheel with your hand, then the other wheel on the other side should spin in the opposite direction due to the way the diff works. If you do this it should isolate any movement/rotation in the Gearbox and driveshaft connected to the gearbox. If you try that, and hear nothing, then it would point to the drive shaft / gearbox area.

So then, put one of the front wheels on the ground with the other one jacked up, get a 2nd person to sit into the car and press the clutch to the floor and manually spin the wheel raised by the jack with your hands. This should spin all the gearbox gears. Try putting the gearbox in different gears to listen for noises.
    Also try and get under the car and with the car in neutral manually spin the the driveshaft coming out of the gearbox that goes into the diff. Listen for any noises in the diff to see if the main diff gear is shot.

Sometimes holding a screwdriver with the handle end at your ear, and the other end on the transmission parts, can help pinpoint more accurately where noise is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Speedo is reading, would suggest a drive shaft or CV joint rather than gearbox or diff.

Im not sure where the sensor for the speedometer is on this car. A snapped CV joint should be easy to spot as the shaft would be very loose. The drive shaft is visible under the car. That should be equally easy to spot if snapped. I should have mentioned that in my previous post, to get under the car and shake all drive shafts to check for excessive looseness (you will get a little looseness with CV joints for the wheels as they need to shift in and out slightly when the suspension moves up & down).

Im no expert on Skodas, but Ive a few transmissions problems on my own car (gearbox knocking, 2 wheel bearings and brake shoe collapse) over the last few years. I found that doing some of the tests I mentioned in the previous post helped pinpoint the problem. Ultimetly, a garage should be able to find the problem fairly quickly.

right its the shaft from the diff to the wheel on the left hand side of the car.
    its deffo knackered.. looks like it has come out or snapped in teh rubber casing it has at the diff end.

any ideas why it wont still go to the right hand side?

and any ideas how much a new one is and how long it would take to put in?

cheers
    anto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

anto-t wrote: »
    any ideas why it wont still go to the right hand side?

Thats because of the diff , its normal.

ya thought that.. what ever has more grip i think isent it? or more traction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

It will send it to whichever one is easier to turn , limited slip diffs overcome this by having ramps or braking discs ( internal) to stop the one with less grip spinning too much. Traction control usually just uses the ABS sensor to detect a spinning wheel and puts on the brake on that wheel. Some diffs are under hydraulic ( quattros etc ) or lockable by air control ( aftermarket offroad 4x4 stuff)

so dpes anyone know of the price of a shaft? and how long to replace?

Advertisement