Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 poker ambitions/resolutions

Options
  • 20-12-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭

what everyone said last year

some funny stuff in there, I think I see about 5 people who may have achieved their goals....

My own cunning and no doubt unrealistic poker plans:

1. Play 180k hands of online cash, starting with a BR of $4k. See where that gets me! Hopefully to a large online roll....
    Strict 'No cash out' rule will be applied :eek: in 2008 as I have finally separated life roll and poker rolls.
    (well done you f*cking tool, it only took 2 years!)

2. Exercise online discipline. No turbo STTs, no drunken level-jumping. No messing.
    (no fun?)

3. Try to actively gain greater understanding. Post more hands for analysis and comment more on other's hands. Use Pokertracker properly.

4. Live. Satellite into at least one biggie....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

somebody should start a 2007 review thread also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

I'd set myself the goal of being able to pay my rent from poker this year. Have done that (barring some manner of horrible meltdown in the next 11 days).

Next years goals.

1. Pay the rent again
    2. Pay for at least one holiday (ridiculous record shopping expenses included)
    3. Become more of a cash bankroll nit (You are not currently rolled for 2/4 or higher you silly person)
    4. Sort myself out with some of them fancy stats tracker programs
    5. Play better
    6. Make a better effort to qualify for the Irish Open and the WSOP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

For the last 2 years I have failed to achieve any goals so my goals for 2008 are:-

Not to play the WSOP main event.
    Not to improve my cash game and move up levels.
    Not to win any tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Not to play drunk
    Qualify for the Irish Open
    Win a decent buyin live tourney (€200+)
    Play Live more
    Apply Proper B/R management
    Beat Omaha at 2/4
    Not to play drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I think I only played about 40k hands in all of 2007, so I'd like to play more than that.
    I've been lucky enough to have made enough profit to pay car insurance and for the guts of a vegas holiday in each of the last few years so I'd like for that to continue. Can't really aim for more than that since regular hours of online poker bores the tits off me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

To curb my gambling addiction and not become a degen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭CaptainNemo

1. Build up BR to a level where I can meet life expenses with monthly withdrawals while maintaining my level (figure I need about 20K, currently on 5k).
    2. Do this by applying good BR management principles and occasional reasonable shot-taking, NOT by insane spin-up attempts
    3. Don't play drunk. Don't play tired.
    4. Don't play live cash until I have a decent BR (8k or so)
    5. Play donkaments for my live poker buzz until then. Playing drunk in donkaments is allowed. This allows me to get my drunk poker buzz for cheap.
    6. By end of year, have a BR that can allow me to at the very least take an extended break between contracts.
    7. If I go busto from this starting point, give up poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭HiCloy

To play 20k hands online. That was also my aim last year, at 9k so far so could be a busy christmas!

Also to qualify for a major B&M tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

what everyone said last year

some funny stuff in there, I think I see about 5 people who may have achieved their goals....
    Quit playin games that are -Ev are at best slight ev+ i.e online mtts

I couldn't actually remember what goal I had until I checked this but I did actually cut back on mtts savagely, haven't played one in months now as far as I can remember :)

Ok my goals in 2008 are as follows.

a. To work hard to reducing the amount of errors I make, while at the same time not beating myself up too much over them when I do inevitably screw up.
    b. To reduce the amount of shots I take, and when I do take shots to make sure it is only 1 level above my normal game rather than several levels above.
    c. I don't really believe in making set monetary goals, but I should have made more in 2007 than I did, if I had employed better bankroll management for one thing it would have been better, so I'm looking to greatly increase the amount I make from poker in 2008 through putting in more hours, better game selection and better BR Maangement. If I acheive a 6 figure sum in dollars I will consider that i have acheived this, if not i will have failed.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My main resolution for '08 is to stop pretending I will play online a lot. I'd say I have played about a total of 6 hours online in the last 6 months so it is time to admit that it is just not my thing. I achieved some of my targets for 2007, notably play the Irish Open, and go to vegas during the world series (albeit not play in it).

I must do up some realistic ones for my blog too, but probably not for another week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Just reading through last years........
    Solksjaer wrote: »
    To gain the love and respect of my fellow poker players so that together we can form a band of brothers and start an air hockey league in Stillorgan bowl..

Almost Willie.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

2007. I met Shirley Temple Bar, in Temple Bar. Wahoooo.

99% of my 2008 ambitions are non poker but sure I might as well write down some poker ones.

To build up my bankroll in play money so I can finally move up to .50 - 1 (might leave that for 2009)
    To finally say goodbye to boards.ie. It's been difficult but I know we gotta split next year. It's just not working out for either of us. I'll start and move my things out of the spare room. No I'm sorry I can't just leave like that. we'll work something out. Counselling?

To win the Irish Open. I don't want to win any other crappy game, I want to win the Irish Open and no fking deals.

For all stats/odds/maths players to admit that the late great famous cash player Chip Reece is probably the best player that ever lived., .then to discuss his comments at 7.10 in this link.

http://www.pokertube.com/ShowMovie.aspx?movieID=be1b96d0-cbd6-4bb9-a963-451f65e6280a&comeFrom=Films&StartPage=1&pIndex=1&PageView=2&KeyID=-1&PokerAccount=-1&UserId=-1&YourFilms=-1

to perfect my proto type x-ray glasses and take down toury after tourny whilst watching waitresses deliver my endless requests for tea and buscuits.

to go jogging with Annett _15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Van Dice

1 - Keep learning, and spend at least 30 mins a day on theory/strategy/analysis, whether on a forum or just my own hands
    2 - Stop being such a bankroll nit and give 10/20 a proper shot
    3 - Get in 40k hands a month minimum (optimistic given current rate :))
    4 - Maintain winrate as games likely become tougher
    5 - Review regular opponents' tendencies in PT more often
    6 - Destroy all nits

Willie, do you work in Bell labs by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

YULETIRED wrote: »
    For all stats/odds/maths players to admit that the late great famous cash player Chip Reece is probably the best player that ever lived., .then to discuss his comments at 7.10 in this link.

http://www.pokertube.com/ShowMovie.aspx?movieID=be1b96d0-cbd6-4bb9-a963-451f65e6280a&comeFrom=Films&StartPage=1&pIndex=1&PageView=2&KeyID=-1&PokerAccount=-1&UserId=-1&YourFilms=-1 [/SIZE][/FONT]

no sound in work... quotage?!?!

[QUOTE=ditpoker 2006]One resolution of mine is to not enter a tourney if im tired... sounds simple enough but i've done this at least 3 times in the last two months and feel as if i have to win the thing by midnight![/QUOTE]

well that failed miserably....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

1 - Curb tilt and self control problems online and stop them eating into my profit. It's not an issue for me live so hopefully I can sort it online. My winrate would increase beyond recognition of I manage this.
    2 - To be properly rolled for 200nl by this time next year
    3 - Try sat into some decent tournaments on the cheap
    4 - If I get the roll together, start playing live cash again as it's always proved profitable but stay away from it until then, no more playing 1/2 on a roll of 1,000 like before summer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Van Dice wrote: »
    1 - Keep learning, and spend at least 30 mins a day on theory/strategy/analysis, whether on a forum or just my own hands
    2 - Stop being such a bankroll nit
    3 - Get in 50k hands a month minimum (optimistic given current rate :))
    4 - Maintain winrate as games likely become tougher
    5 - Review regular opponents' tendencies in PT more often
    6 - Destroy all nits

Sounds good. Earning a million bananas would be nice too. Moneywise I think 150k is a good/realistic target for next year if I can maintain any sort of dedication to getting the hands in. I also want to play at least 2 WSOP side events.

5starpool wrote: »
    Willie, do you work in Bell labs by any chance?

Oooooh Mod Utilities ?
    Nearly right.....Jingle Bell Labs at the moment.......why do you ask? Are you allowed to tell on me? I'll report you to Victor Chandler if you do.

One of the checks mods can do is see who else posted from the same location as you, and one of the names that came up (apart from your various ones) is someone I know that works there. That's all, nothing sinister. I can't actually see your IP address, not that it would matter anyhow if I could really, nor do I want to.

Edit: As I said before if I wanted to ban this user I would have done it by now, but you would just have created a new account at some point, yadda yadda, and unless you do sometihng ban worthy, I won't be banning this user.

I am that other bloke you know!

The Belle Labs is downstairs. I won't be here for much longer though ( I hope) , got some stuff to do that work interferes with. Details of which will hopefully appear on my non poker blog in the new Year. ...don't tell your friend, he could be my boss

• Advertisement

My lips are sealed.

ditpoker wrote: »
    no sound in work... quotage?!?!

rough quote!
    CHIP (very successful CASH player) , discusses how working out and knowing the odds is not the MOST important part of poker.
    [SIZE=+0]Looking into a players soul to see if he has the goods or not is THE most important part. It don't matter if it's 100 to 1 , if you can see inside his soul[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Thought it was a very topical quote., considering his recent death and *ahem the online fracas on the subject.. (quack quack).... Not saying what I think of it either (great fold Tony :-p)[/SIZE]

Ironically I suppose Chip can look into souls NOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol @ mine, don't even play online anymore. For 2008 it's going to be play more then 10 live tourneys a year. Also to travel outside Europe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I want to be rolled for 50/100 by end of year.

LOL wp Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

cooker3 wrote: »
    I want to start playing live cash games much more.

i hope that u have this ambition for 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

musician wrote: »
    For the last 2 years I have failed to achieve any goals so my goals for 2008 are:-

Not to play the WSOP main event.
    Not to improve my cash game and move up levels.
    Not to win any tournaments.

LOL.

On No.2 is it: "Not to improve my cash game and not move up levels" or "Not to improve my cash game but move up levels anyway"? There's a big difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

2007 Poker

1. To stop going into the Fitzwilliam plastered with a cunning plan to win loads of money in the €100 omaha game, where I actually jam my way to winning alot of money and lose it all in one hand to peter Roche . Stop being so optimistic when playing omaha, and chasing flushes etc.,
    Well I stopped playing when plastered (except for a techical hitch in the S.E. after a christening, but stopped playing the big omaha game yipee)

2. To stop disbelieving people when I raise and get re-raised.
    Well that is a work in progress

3. Try to stop losing all my chips with AK. Went out in the Irish open because i played them slowly in the SB, but I certainly value them less

4. Improve my tournament play ten fold. Learn how to play a large stack better. Feel this has improved,

5. Continue enjoying the game while trying to remember to be a good loser and a good winner Actually threw a few more hissy fits this year then I ever did, so need to work on that.

6. Try to qualify for the Irish Open which will be brillant this year. Didn't qualify but paid in with tournament and Cash profits, so not bad.

Non Poker.

Start the slow and painful process of getting fit ie, walking jogging, swimming .Failed miserably

Lose weight so I don't look like an onion when I go sking in March Failed failed failed

Stay away from Cocktail sausages and chicken wings, the scurge of poker clubs. Tried some fruit (after the coctail sausages of course)

Throw more parties, did throw a few,

Enjoy life cause it's just too f*ckin short . Amen to that

2008 goals

POKER
    1. Qualify for the Irish open

2. Qualify for the WSOP

3. Stop overplaying medium pocket pairs (your were right Nicky:rolleyes:)

4. Win a €500 + tournament,

5. Arrange a Boards home cash game.

6. try to be nice to Bob Battersby

NON POKER

1. lose Weight, and stop whinging about it.

2. Go on holidays to a Country ive never been to

3. Try not kill someone in a fit of roadrage on the M50

4. Prepare the spare Room for the overnight parties when IKEA opens

5. Learn a different language (besides Waffle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

smurph wrote: »
    6. try to be nice to Bob Battersby

this is surely a self-defeating goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

this is surely a self-defeating goal :)

I know, some people donate to charity, some people buy donkeys, some people are donkeys, but mine is to be nice to BOB in 2008 (watch this space)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

smurph wrote: »
    I know, some people donate to charity, some people buy donkeys, some people are donkeys, but mine is to be nice to BOB in 2008 (watch this space)

step 1: change your location

Advertisement