Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 poker ambitions/resolutions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭BuChan

getting out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

1. To get through the whole year without going skint
    2. To get all the money back from players I loaned to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Conbro wrote: »
    1. To get through the whole year without going skint
    2. To get all the money back from players I loaned to

I think there should be a 3rd, stop lending money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

keep a log of every cent spent on poker in 2008 whether it be a decent live tourny or a €5 one with some donks

get myself playing online and at least break even

win €50-€100 freezeout live

improve my game all round,stop making stupid disbelieving calls,disobeying logic

win pauls poker league in college

play a good live tourny like student national and do myself justice

finish in the green for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

1. Count oponents chips before declaring all in:mad::mad::mad: Happened all to often..
    2. Play mostly decent tourneys i.e. 100+ FO - Big slick events in the south east.
    3. Dont play live cash
    4. Continue to play agressively trough the mid stages of tourneys if possible.
    5. Take 85s 64s :( out of my calling raises range..
    6. take down a 200+ buyin tourney, altough there wont be many on in the South East..
    7. Stop telling people my hand;).
    8. Give up pub bingo rebuy..
    9. Play online with daily deposits and withdrawls. (( No more building bankrolls up to 5k and blowing it at 50-100 Limit Heads UP):eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:
    10 Qualify for a few 1k plus live tourneys in dublin or cork..

• Advertisement

Well its near the end of the year has everyone completed their goals for 2008?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

BuChan wrote: »
    getting out

At least one person managed their goal!! WP Eamon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

For this year, I plan to create poker software to run home games and games on mobile phones using bluetooth - and have 50 people use it / day.

Playing wise, I'm going to try to never drop down to .50/1 or below.

Gave up on the 1st part...probably about 2 weeks after posting. Managed to keep the 2nd part OK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

nicnicnic wrote: »

I realise now that this is undoable so this year I'm going to play less aggro from and try get knocked out of less tournaments from the SB

Really put in the effort to make the transition to cash online either 6 handed plo or nlh

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Maintain my wr at 6+bb/100 at 200nl, play another 20k hands, and then, if i've beaten it for 5/6bbs over that sample tentatively move up to 400nl.

probably will play some donkaments as well, and build up a br for going to vegas in 2009.

also, i want to get around to getting another monitor, pretty sure i can 10table without any great dip in play.

i guess that's all three, should have been a bit more ambitious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

thechamp87 wrote: »
    I am going to win the Irish Open.

UL Champ

Although on a positive note...
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    I'm going to cash in the World Series, invite a stripper back, get laid and then fall asleep while she pwns me for $7.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Can't believe I had no goals in this thread.

Poker Goals
    -Qualify again for IO next year yes and 2009 already covered
    - Qualify for WSOP or go over and play 1/2 side events yes for vegas no for qualifying
    - Build the roll to comfortably play 3/6 - 5/10 PLO online yes
    - Become a decent 5 figure winner online yes this has gone very well inc live
    - Win a €500+ buy in live tourney next year :(so close twice
    - Focus more on PLO than HE it has been 95% plo this year apart from live donkathons
    Non Poker Goals
    -Continue to work hard yes and 2009 i have huge plans with the new warehouse
    -Cut down playing so much live poker during the week;) hardly ever play live now during the week, lucky if it is once a month
    -Get over to Vegas for a week for my 30th yes
    -Bring me eldest lad over to see his first Liverpool matchMissed it by a month planning to go over in Jan 09, tbh he would have been to young to fully enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

To make more money than I made in 2006 (which was my failed ambition in 2007).

Looking like I've done it unless there is a spectacular last fortnight blowup - though probably wouldn't have made it if not for the sudden surge in the dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

newbie2 wrote: »
    ...... beat this years profit
    ......qualify for the IO
    ......learn to separate online and live bakrolls
    633317514784490542.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭reilly110

reilly110 wrote: »
    1. stop going on absolute monkey tilt FAIL
    2. stop bluffing retarded stations
    FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

pok3rplaya wrote: »
    100k$
    olympic triathlon
    learn french
    get a job

Only did one of these things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

RasTa wrote: »
    lol @ mine, don't even play online anymore. For 2008 it's going to be play more then 10 live tourneys a year. Also to travel outside Europe again.

I think I played in 7... and the furthest I got on my travels was Sweden.

pok3rplaya wrote: »
    Only did one of these things

Bonjour?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

To curb my gambling addiction and not become a degen.

lol.

Pass I guess. Was a regular proper degen for while ugh... but now havent played in a good while besides the odd social tourney.

Degeneration curbed imo, just took longer than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

damn, was pretty excited to look back and see if i'd achieved my goals, until i realised i didn't set any.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

cooker3 wrote: »
    Goals for year are to move up to 400nl and beat it obv. ugh fail

To be able to play more then 30k hands per month every month. Fail

To make over 10k a month (preferbly want to do this by end summer but w/e) I figure I do this by playing 30k hands a month and beat 400nl for 4 bb/100 and adding rakeback. Fail

If I achieve above for few months to take money out of roll and start investing and such like. It likely will not be huge but it will be good start and good to generally diversify. This will likely hinder me on moving up more but I have no problem playing and hopefully beating 400nl for a few 100k hands if needs be. Probably best that I failed this one

To become much better at understanding hand equities and basically be able to know my equity versus a range of hands at any point in a hand.lol eh fail I think, least in the way I envisioned it

I want to be better able to read the flow of a game, so knowing to up gears when I have been tight and vice versa. A lot of the higher stakes player talk about that and something I need to work on.
    I suppose I did improve at that

To continue to be the only person on boards to not play drunk, keep proper bankroll management and not go on super monkey tilt
    Only person on boards was a bit of an exaggeration but obviously I passed that one with ease

Finally to have a very good understanding of what I want out of poker for the future, whether I see it as possibly a career for a while or just something fun to do on the side.
    Eh not quite. Use 2009 for that....

Pretty disappointing all in all but 08 wasn't my finest year in most respects so hopefully things go better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭HiCloy

HiCloy wrote: »
    To play 20k hands online. That was also my aim last year, at 9k so far so could be a busy christmas!

Also to qualify for a major B&M tournament

Set yourself low targets and hard to fail!

Played about 50k hands and about 2/3 of way to IO ticket on Leprauchan so will count that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

aidankk wrote: »
    1. Count oponents chips before declaring all in:mad::mad::mad: Happened all to often..stopped doing this
    2. Play mostly decent tourneys i.e. 100+ FO - Big slick events in the south east.Fail mostly pub games aroung 50
    3. Dont play live cashfailed
    4. Continue to play agressively trough the mid stages of tourneys if possible.doing this
    5. Take 85s 64s :( out of my calling raises range..failed miserably and got worse
    6. take down a 200+ buyin tourney, altough there wont be many on in the South East..failed altough hardly played in any
    7. Stop telling people my hand;).still works in pub tournes
    8. Give up pub bingo rebuy..failed obviously
    9. Play online with daily deposits and withdrawls. (( No more building bankrolls up to 5k and blowing it at 50-100 Limit Heads less said the better failedUP):eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:
    10 Qualify for a few 1k plus live tourneys in dublin or cork..didnt even play any qualifiers:mad::mad:

Never moved on in poker at all this year which is complete failure.. Lazyness main problem

Only one for next year

Try to play a few decent events in the next year one a month if possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

musician wrote: »
    For the last 2 years I have failed to achieve any goals so my goals for 2008 are:-

Not to play the WSOP main event.
    Not to improve my cash game and move up levels.
    Not to win any tournaments.

Fantastic year for me. 100% success. I did forget the "Disappear completely from boards" goal but managed to achieve that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    poker

1. separate life money from poker money

2. be able to play more than 6 tables, need a new monitor on that note.

3. stop tilting so easily, maybe coaching.

4. ask macspower re: rates for 3.

5. qualify for IO or another big live event

6. be rolled for 2/4 by next december

7. play live more i suppose

8. eliminate shorties

non poker

1. get a 2.1 minimum even though i'll never work as an engineer

2. kill jade goody samuel L style

fail

mostly.

1. get a 2.1 minimum even though i'll never work as an engineer

epic fail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Hmmm, should we not create a new thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Beat roullette, save less, eat a far less healthy diet, drink way more, unlearn French, gain at least three stone.

This thread is tilting me beyond belief for some reason.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think new goals should be saved for new thread. I'll see if I can be arsed to split the posts out and start one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

5starpool wrote: »
    I think new goals should be saved for new thread. I'll see if I can be arsed to split the posts out and start one.

Dom for mod of the decade imo

Advertisement