Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average childcare costs

Options
  • 20-12-2007 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi - Does anyone have any information on average childcare costs for babies and children in the Galway area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

am not in the galway area but generaly in a full time creche fees are charged according to age, under 12 months being more expensive and reducing as the chid gets older, fees in the countryside also tend to be cheaper too. expect to pay anything over 150 a week full time for a baby under 12 months and 130/140 for toddlers,

look up childcare.ie or the ncna website they should have some names addresses of creches in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Dublin tends to be more expensive than the rest of the country but the previous poster's amounts seem to be about right.

Also when checking fees it's worth comparing what you get for the money, ie are the creche staff/childminder qualified in childcare, up to date first aid, do they do arts/crafts, outings, provide food and if so what sort of meals are you getting. What are the facilities like, is it bright and airy, plenty of space, toys etc, secure garden.

I'm a childminder and a lot of childminders now have qualifications, first aid, organise activities, etc, are inspected annually and now some areas have relief childminders that can cover if childminder is ill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I'm in a smallish town, and pay 150 a week to a childminder, but it is worth every penny. My daughter loves her childminder and getting to play with other kids, and the childminder is more flexible than any creche I looked into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I pay e40 per day. (Actually, I wish I did now - but my 13-month-old just won't settle when she's away from me, that she's been evicted from a creche and a childminder in just 3 months!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

kelle
    im surprised your child was 'evicted' from a creche because she wont settle, most creches have a great understanding for children who get seperation anxiety. they use a phasing in method which can be adapted to suit the needs of the child. usually its harder on the parent than the child but the key is presevere, presevere,presevere! start off staying with the child for short periods, gradually working your way up to leaving her for very short periods, she has to realise that you cannot always be by her side, though i do recognise it is aa stressfull time for both you and her it will become easier. somtimes if a child is going to creche on a pert time basis it is helpfull for them to go full time untill they are settled then reduce the days when she has settled in fully. this could take time (and extra money) but is completly woth it for her, and also for your peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

kelle
    im surprised your child was 'evicted' from a creche because she wont settle, most creches have a great understanding for children who get seperation anxiety. they use a phasing in method which can be adapted to suit the needs of the child. usually its harder on the parent than the child but the key is presevere, presevere,presevere! start off staying with the child for short periods, gradually working your way up to leaving her for very short periods, she has to realise that you cannot always be by her side, though i do recognise it is aa stressfull time for both you and her it will become easier. somtimes if a child is going to creche on a pert time basis it is helpfull for them to go full time untill they are settled then reduce the days when she has settled in fully. this could take time (and extra money) but is completly woth it for her, and also for your peace of mind.
    I make it sound worse than it really is! What happened was that she cried all day, wouldn't play with toys or the other babies and wouldn't feed. All would be fine the minute I'd arrive to collect her! In each case, the minders felt this wasn't good for her. My husband has his holidays so I can work over Christmas, but in the New Year I'll be stuck!
    I feel though she has improved in recent days and I'm going to try andsee if the childminder will chance taking her again in 2 weeks time (provided she hasn't replaced her yet!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Kelle, would you think of leaving her in for shorter periods over the Christmas holidays (if the CM is agreeable), starting with an hour?

As to OP's question, 160-175 would be average for a CM to mind a baby in Galway city.

Advertisement