Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Test to retire after Irish tour

• 20-12-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently Ireland will be the last hurrah for Andrew "Test" Martin after his tour here in March.
    Thanks to all the fans from Ireland for your great emails. I will be coming there over St. patty's day and I'll have a pint with ya unfortuantely mine will be a pint of diet coke since it been years since I had a pint but I do recall my love for Guiness and it never tasted as good as it did in Ireland. I've talked to my "Better half" and we decided that Ireland will be my "last hurah".

As we all know wrestling is not real and it is very political backstage and as a man I could never bring myself to consort with the people That I didn't care for even if that meant making less money and not getting a world title. The world title is not real but my dignity was and I feel I never comprimised it. I said "no" to Vince a few times which I was told is unheard of and the kiss of death. I personally don't have bad things to say about Vince. I can appreciate what he's done! I wonder what it's like to have evreryone who works for you tell you yes and your ideas are great because they are terrified about losing their job. I will never know nor do I want to.

Thanks to all my fans and please stay in contact I still love to hear from you. I am at peace..I have no bad words to say about anything or anyone>>>that doesn't mean I won't have a few chuckles with "the real boys" on peoples expense who I'm sure know who they are. Take care and stay in touch! Andrew

Full statement can be read here .

I always felt Test was underrated. For a big guy he was solid in the ring and I think politics got in the way of him achieving more in the business. He should have got a better deal from the Steph/Triple H storyline but of course big nose made sure that didn't happen. I also felt he should have got a better deal from the break-up of T&A as I recall him being pretty over during that period. His theme song was bad ass too. The "Testicles" thing was another angle he was involved in that was getting over but was hindered by management.

A lot of potential with this guy which was never fulfilled.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Ah yeah, I enjoyed T&A, thought they were a good tag team. Test is a grand big man, but never got that angle/gimmick to propell him through the glass ceiling.
    I don't know too much about the politicing that goes on behind wwe's closed doors, I think knowing too much ruins the product.
    But it's a shame to see Test retire, but it's good to see him go out with a bit of dignity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

The chap's boned some of the tastier Diva's, so I wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I always thought that he had potential for someone his size.He was a man that always spoke what he thought whether he got heat or not for it.That was probably the reason why he was made to put over so many guys of lesser talent and never really given a storyline that pushed him to the top of the ladder.

However,I have to say that im happy that this is going to be one of the fairytale ending stories for a wrestler-leaving with his health and a nice bank balance.I expect more wrestlers in the coming years to leave the business sooner rather than later.

Also,he did what most of dream about..............................got intimate with a number of the divas.That in itself deserves recognition:D

Unfortunately I dont think that he will take any other role in the business(manger etc.).Therefore I dont expect to hear his name popping up too much in the future.

It was good seeing you big man;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I actually couldn't stand watching him. Ever. I've never been able to put my finger on it, there is just something I cannot stand about the way he moves, his mic work, his expressions, pretty much everything about him. I never really understood 'X-Pac heat' until someone reminded me of how I felt about Test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He was great during his immunity angle.

He couldn't be fired no matter what he did for a full year.

Big booting people left, right and centre!

Actually, I nominate Tests Big Boot as one of the best finishers ever.

It always looked so good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I couldn't care less about Test, never have. He never did anything to interest me even in the slightest. Just another generic big man, who didn't stand out in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

When I said that Test had bad grammar in the American Wrestling Rampage thread I meant it. Test didn't format his typing like that!

I liked him back in the day, when he was with Stephanie and then Albert. Then he didn't seem to improve at all, after all his "potential" that the fans and commentators talked about. Then I really just didn't care about him. I really didn't like watching any of his matches in the last two years or whenever it was that he rejoined WWE. He had a job because he was huge, he lost that job because he was huge and couldn't hide how he got that huge, and then he got kicked out of TNA for the same reason. I felt sorry for him when he was released by WWE after he had neck surgery, but apparently he did pretty well for himself in the property market during his time away from wrestling so he doesn't need any of my sympathy now. Good luck to him, it's worked out best for both of us!

Actually, I nominate Tests Big Boot as one of the best finishers ever.

It always looked so good.
    Give me a Tomko kick to the head any day! Not literally.

b.ie polar wrote: »
    Give me a Tomko kick to the head any day! Not literally.

I was meant to say that actually, I think Tomko's kick to the head is so great! I've been marking out for the move for the last couple of years. Tomko doesn't do a "big boot", he just kicks you in the face! He didn't do it on the last two TNA PPVs though

Fozzy wrote: »
    I was meant to say that actually, I think Tomko's kick to the head is so great! I've been marking out for the move for the last couple of years. Tomko doesn't do a "big boot", he just kicks you in the face! He didn't do it on the last two TNA PPVs though
    Yeah, its a shame they aren't using it to its full potential. I'd spend money just to watch him kick people repeatedly!

• Advertisement

Remember when he made his return to Raw and he kicked Cena in the face? That was so brilliant! I hated Cena at the time, no one better to kick him in the face than Tomko!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I forget what show I saw Tomko at, but he was going to kick Jericho and it was the lamest f'n thing, he didn't come close to connecting with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Albert had a good kick for a fella his size, hands down best kick in wrestling history was Nathan Jones spinning roundhouse on the Big Show I think at WM18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote: »
    I liked him back in the day, when he was with Stephanie and then Albert. Then he didn't seem to improve at all, after all his "potential" that the fans and commentators talked about. Then I really just didn't care about him. I really didn't like watching any of his matches in the last two years or whenever it was that he rejoined WWE. He had a job because he was huge, he lost that job because he was huge and couldn't hide how he got that huge, and then he got kicked out of TNA for the same reason.

I agree with you on that. His last run wasn't great. The only match I enjoyed in his recent run was I think an Extreme Rules match with RVD. It seemed like his heart wasn't in it any more though. His peak years were probably from '99 to '01.

Advertisement