Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody for August 1st 2008 - Total Solar Eclipse?

Options
  • 20-12-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi All,

Total Solar Eclipse on August 1st 2008. They say a total solar eclipse is a must do once in a lifetime experience. I've a bit of an interest in Russia, been a few times and so have decided to go to Siberia to see the eclipse, kill 2 birds with the one stone and all that.
    Ive booked flights to Moscow and then the transiberian train for a 2 day ride to Russia's third largest city "New Siberia" or Novosibirsk. Theres even an Irish Pub in Novosibirsk! I hope to spend a couple of days there doing a "homestay" with a local family and then fly back to Moscow, 4 hours, 90 Euro! All tickets booked, total cost €540 Dublin to Siberia and back! Leave on a Saturday, back on the Sunday week. Need to work on the visa and accomodation next.

The path of totality is about 220 miles wide and the central path will be 30 km west from Novosibirsk although in Novosibirsk you will still enjoy totality but for a few seconds less! Duration of totality about 2mins 30 sec. They reckon about 70% chance of clear skies! See http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEmono/TSE2008/TSE2008.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

why not combine the solar eclipse with driving to Mongolia? I did it this year and I drove through Novosibirsk on the way!

Main Site

My route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Irlandski

I'd like to do that but do you mean drive to Mongolia from Novosibirsk or Ireland? I rode a motorcycle most of the way to Moscow last april, took 4 days of solid driving. To Novosibirsk or Mongolia would take more time than I have at the moment although I plan and hope to follow in the path of Ewan and Charley someday.

What was Novosib like? Did you spend much time there?

Advertisement