Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connemarathon - half distance

• 20-12-2007 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

i'm entered for the half-marathon for the connemarathon - eek! - and just wondering how on earth to go about climbing for this thing?

at the moment the longest i've done is a 10km race in 1 hour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

You'll be fine! I did it last year, and although it's tougher than most half-marathons, you've lots of time to get your distance up. I find the best way is to do some short runs mid week and 1 long one at the weekend. Just gradually increase the distance and you'll be grand! It's worth adding in some hills to your training though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi,

Check regularly on the Connemarathon chatroom for similar postings. You'll be fine! The Conn hills aren't as bad as they are made out to be - unless of course you're doing the full, when they do start at a bad stage (i.e. when you're typically hitting the marathon wall). Incidentally, geography has its sence of humour, as when you turn at the pub at Maam up the hill you cross the bridge over the Failmore river!!!

Best of luck.

SJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

cool :)

does anyone know any training groups in south dublin i could fall in with? not uber-athletes, just people putting in the miles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

sportsworld in bushy park/terenure cater for all levels and very big female section. Donore in Chapelizod/Phoenix Park also good for women, lots of levels. Check out the Evening Herald on a Thursday evening, on the athletics noticeboard you will find many southside running groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Whereabouts are you based Goofygirl? I have some training circuits on the south-side of Dublin that I used last year (and again this year) in the run-up to the Connemarathon, that made the hell of the West seem more like the gentle hill off the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi,

For added variety to your training check out the mountain running events which are excellent, and are as tough as you make your own pace to be. See www.imra.ie

Regards,

i'm in clonskeagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

How much is the entry for the half marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Krusty, what route are those circuits? (im on the southside myself)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Fairly pricey for the half, €70 for the full is grand, but €70 for the half is crazy.

Vote with your feet!

I paid 65 last year for the half, and it was so well run and such an enjoyable experience, that it was money well spent. 5 euro extra this year, but they are including race chips for all participants.

Krusty, what route are those circuits? (im on the southside myself)
    My circuits are in Shankill, around the hill called Carrigoligan (or Katie Gallaghers as it's sometimes known). It's the hill with the smelting tower, near Puck's Castle. I have various routes, from 8 miles - 11 miles. Let me know if you'd like me to post some directions / altitude maps. Running surface and hills are very similar to the 1/2 Marathon.

that would be great if you could post/pm the routes :)

yeah I'll second that if you would be so kind - I live in Sandycove so it sounds like it would be perfect!

Sure thing.. They're on the other laptop, so I'll post them tomorrow during a work lull. ;)

Sorry for the delay, here's a page I made previously..
    http://irelandbygps.com/treks/running/Shankill_Training_runs.htm

You can switch the different routes on and off by clicking on the routes in the pane in the top right of the screen. Again, the Google maps are pretty poor, but you should be able to get an idea of where all the turns are.

I also created an elevation profile for the 11 mile run, which you can see here:
    http://irelandbygps.com/treks/running/Elevation.jpg

If you need any advice or directions, just let me know.

thanks a *mill* for that krusty :)

Advertisement