Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car....

Options
  • 20-12-2007 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

:confused:Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes...

I had arranged to buy a 08 car on the second of January, but i have just found out that i won't have a job as of the 21st of Jan.

Do I have any way of getting out of the deal i made with the garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd find it hard to believe that such an event isn't justifiable reason for binning the contract.
    I'd drop into the garage and have a chat, bring any related communication that you can get. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

whattodo?? wrote: »
    :confused:Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes...

I had arranged to buy a 08 car on the second of January, but i have just found out that i won't have a job as of the 21st of Jan.

Do I have any way of getting out of the deal i made with the garage?
    have you paid a deposit or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 whattodo??

No but i had all the documents signed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Does it say anything about cancelling the contract on the contract itself or what is the documentation you have signed? How long ago did you place the order? I think the dealer could sue you for any losses incurred but people usually just lose deposits for that but it really does depend on the contract and what you have signed. You really should see a solicitor asap and try and cancel the order straight away - the longer you leave it the less chance you have of cancelling the order cleanly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Isn't there a cooling off period on consumer contracts? Anyone?

can't see how you could be sued for much more than the actual incurred loss. Let him/her know as soon as possible, and then ask them what you can do. Just tell them the situation, and then ask them what you can do. You might end up out by a few hundred euro though.

/will move this to the cars forum, as people there might be more familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Have you got the details of your impending unemployment in writing? Just go down to the dealer and explain. They might be very understanding. What type of car was it? Might be a handy one for the dealer to sell on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If they won't budge, is it possible to have someone else buy it?? ie, advertise your 0 owner '08 car and explain the situation and have someone else step in as the first owner???

What about delaying delivery and seeing if you can find another job????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you've paid a deposit you'll probably loose it. Otherwise tell them the truth and just walk away.

The car isn't registered yet. It can't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just explain the situation, they'll understand unless you've specialy ordered it in a bizzare colour or something. Seeing as they didn't take a deposit, I doubt this is the case.
    Sorry to hear about anyone losing their job coming up to Christmas.

Advertisement