Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris - a good car? I have the spec and price on one listed here - worth 3K?

Options
  • 20-12-2007 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

4 owners
    1 Litre
    44 KM
    Silver
    Has 550 worth of rims Im told.

- Its from a friend of a friend. Asking 3200 but will settle for 3000

I was thinking of a Honda but I might get this if its a really good deal.

Im thinking the timing belt may have to be done - what would that cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

worded wrote: »
    4 owners
    1 Litre
    44 KM
    Silver
    Has 550 worth of rims Im told.

- Its from a friend of a friend. Asking 3200 but will settle for 3000

I was thinking of a Honda but I might get this if its a really good deal.

Im thinking the timing belt may have to be done - what would that cost?

That is very low mileage for an almost 9 year old car. Not unusual but I would still like to see some sort of service history documentation, NCT certs to back that low mileage up.

Also afaik the Yaris 1.0 litre VVTi has a timing chain rather than a belt so shouldn't need changing for a very long time. One phone call to a dealer should be able to verify.

If all checks out I would try and push the owner to accept €2,900 for it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    If all checks out I would try and push the owner to accept €2,900 for it. ;)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

Like the ad says "Toyota .. best built car in the world"

I've always driven Toyotas (apart from a brief punto moment which thankfully didn't last too long before Carroll & Kinsella gave me a refund!).

The mileage does look good for that year of a car so yes, I'd deffo go with it.

Hondas are easy to break into and hot wire (i've heard).

San

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Sandraf wrote: »
    Like the ad says "Toyota .. best built car in the world"

More like "Formerly the best built car in the world" if some of the stories about Toyotas on this board are true. And speaking as someone whose old man has a 05 Avensis and has driven Toytas for over 20 years I can tell you it is not a lie at all that they don't make them like they used to. They're nowhere near unreliable but quailty has definately taken a downturn with the newer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Been driving a 00 Toyota for a about 4 years now and I have to say I have been very lucky with it so far, has given me absolutely no hassle whatsoever. A couple of mates drive Toyota too and they have had a similar experience. Try bringing the price down a bit. The mileage seems ridiculously low tbh, def get a look at the service history..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the odometer should read in miles rather than km, even though the speedo is switchable. If it's clocked in km, it's likely to be a Vitz japanese import or has had its speedo swapped with one.
    No timing belt to be done, but make sure timing chain is ok too. Listen for a rattle from the water pump, which will be evident in low revs. if the car is clocked this may need attention. it's about the only thing that goes wrong on them. Also make sure it's not the E model without power steering.

Does the car have air conditioning by any chance?

Price sounds right. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I will check if has power steering and if jap import. (whats the problem with jap imports?)

I have been fore warned that a shopping trolley side impacted the front door
    - It has been "repaired" but wasnt crashed.

How to tell the diff between a shopping trolley impact and a truck?

It has power steering and is a Jap import.

Mmmmmmm
    - whats the story on jap imports?

no real "story" with them. just don't take the mileage too seriously, and get it checked over as you would with any car.
    Get it up on a ramp and check the underbody for rust.
    Make sure the aircon blows cold.
    Make sure it's got antifreeze.
    Make sure the auto box and overdrive is working properly (if it's automatic)
    Check all auxillary belts (power steering belt, alternator belt etc.)
    Get someone who knows about cars to look over it.

Don't worry about the fact that it's a japanese domestic model. it's more likely to be minded than an Irish one

I had a look at it tonight, will bring a mechanic next time.

Engine spotless.
    Rims - really cute.
    NCT to Feb 09 I think.

Ive never seen a boot so small, but the back seats fold down.

If we ever go on a weekend our luggage will be on display though.

• Advertisement

the back seat should slide as well. handy.

Advertisement