Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Zune

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Sea08

seems there is a lot more to making this work than I thought, found this tutorial but it needs you to download some extra tools

http://www.zunescene.mobi/forums/index.php?topic=47145.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sea08 wrote: »
    seems there is a lot more to making this work than I thought, found this tutorial but it needs you to download some extra tools

http://www.zunescene.mobi/forums/index.php?topic=47145.0
    awesome link there.

works perfect.

even adds an audiobook section on the menu :D

kudos for that

Roll on Sept 15 stateside.

http://gizmodo.com/5335353/zune-hd-release-date-and-packaging-leaked-will-hit-stores-september-15th

I can't hack only 32gb and with the euro v dollar the way it is, it would want to be around 600dollars to put me off buying a 64gb version.

<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I'm gutted. I had hoped beyond hope that the 8th was the date. Kinda confirmed by other best buy notices recently but this new poster kinda puts it definate at 15th. Now I'll have to ebay or get it some other way. :(

hshortt wrote: »
    I'm gutted. I had hoped beyond hope that the 8th was the date. Kinda confirmed by other best buy notices recently but this new poster kinda puts it definate at 15th. Now I'll have to ebay or get it some other way. :(
    Ya were gonna be in the US I take it? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Im definitely getting this,200€ for all it is a very good price and 32gigs is well enough for my music,only problem i see is using the video player,720p video files can be over a gig each so it will fill the zune quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Looks like a sweet bit of kit alright. I have enough music players though so i'll pass. If they ever do a bigger version with a 4.3" or 5" OLED screen and big HDD i'd probably buy it, that Tegra should give it great video capability. Probably not high-profile H.264 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Sea08

I'm sure you've all seen this already, but just posting it in case some one missed it.

Extremely sleek UI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Looks very nice alright. I don't know if I'd be ready to give up my iPod Touch for it though.

• Advertisement

Pre-order from today in the US.

Price appears to be confirmed at 16GB flavor for $219.99, or a beefier, "platinum" finish 32GB version clocking in at $289.99.

or €154 / €203 at xe.com.

Shipping from ebay will be a cost a bit as well.

from where exactly? I cant find any listing on ebay

rejkin wrote: »
    from where exactly? I cant find any listing on ebay
    Not on sale yet!

Available for pre-order now in select US stores.

I was just saying that shipping will be a bit when they do go on sale and are up on ebay :)

Sept15 is launch day in the US. I'd expect them to appear around then on ebay

fair enough,its just i even looked up the pre-order listing on the main zune site and none of the shops listed to take preorder actually do,the links go to blank pages

fair enough,its just i even looked up the pre-order listing on the main zune site and none of the shops listed to take preorder actually do,the links go to blank pages
    just checked it actually; amazon & walmart links fail, best buy work but I didnt see a pre-order link, and the MS link will only allow US pre-orders :(

Best Buy leaks show they'll have stock from the 8th. Wonder if they'll break the street date?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

For the most part i'm gushing over this thing, of course apple will have their next gen announcement around the same time as the new Zune is released, by then we might have a bit more info on the Zii platform too (maybe even a release date for a consumer model).

Eventually i'll move to an all in one phone, but right now none of those cut the mustard, iphone probably comes closest but it's seriously lacking in some basic basic features that i'd call essential so is ruled out for me, nokia's attempts have been feable at best and sammy still have work to do on the media side before I chase one of there's...

Yes, a bit of a rant all right, but it's all relevent and the Zune HD is leading the way in the battle for my cash, with the Cowon S9 just behind but not by much.

Does anyone know if this has options to put in a sd card?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Does anyone know if this has options to put in a sd card?

Yes, it does not have the option to put in a sd card.

alright thanks! hmm though im wondering how much id have to pay customs if it gets caught since it will be 200€ and coming from america,theres the vat plus some custom charge added on i think

i know when i bought my zune80 it was over 200e i think but I was ok on customs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Does this new Zune have browsing capabilities?

Will they be available for the 80gb?

Des wrote: »
    Does this new Zune have browsing capabilities?

Will they be available for the 80gb?
    Yeah it will have a web browser but only comes in 16GB and 32GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dman001 wrote: »
    Yeah it will have a web browser but only comes in 16GB and 32GB.

Ah, you misunderstood me.

I have an 80gb Zune (2nd gen? It has games on it too)

I was wondering will the browser be available for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LeslieP09

got one as a gift for my sis, had a few issues with it freezing
    and stuff, but they gave a replacement and all good since then.

hmm, not sure Des.

Possible with a fw update to the second gen zune but all you have is the squircle input rather than the touch screen.

Mactard wrote: »
    For the most part i'm gushing over this thing, of course apple will have their next gen announcement around the same time as the new Zune is released, by then we might have a bit more info on the Zii platform too (maybe even a release date for a consumer model).

Eventually i'll move to an all in one phone, but right now none of those cut the mustard, iphone probably comes closest but it's seriously lacking in some basic basic features that i'd call essential so is ruled out for me, nokia's attempts have been feable at best and sammy still have work to do on the media side before I chase one of there's...

Yes, a bit of a rant all right, but it's all relevent and the Zune HD is leading the way in the battle for my cash, with the Cowon S9 just behind but not by much.
    Yes they are some good media players and phones but all have, what I would consider, major flaws.

The Zune HD looks lovely but no App store and slightly smaller screen than the Touch. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the UI either.

The Creative Zii looks very interesting with the Android OS and the ability to expand memory via a memory card slot.

The Touch/iPhone comes closest to perfection for me. 3.5" screen, great browser, 1000s of Apps, simple to use, UI is amazing to use especially when browsing music. The next gen will probably have a camera and 64GB option too but the design is getting slighlty old for me but thankfully Apple keep updating the Firmware.

The N97 looks nice and has a lovely QWERTY keyboard but the OS looks terrible.

Des wrote: »
    Ah, you misunderstood me.

I have an 80gb Zune (2nd gen? It has games on it too)

I was wondering will the browser be available for that?
    Oh sorry! It would be doubtful that it would get a browser. As Kaimera said, it wouldn't be nice browsing and typing with the little scroll wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The Zune HD looks lovely but no App store and slightly smaller screen than the Touch. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the UI either.

To be fair, while the iPod screen is diagonally larger, it uses a 1.5:1 aspect, so if you throw up a movie on either, the viewing size is around the same (unless it's an old 4:3 movie or something). And the ZuneHD should have more vibrant colours, better viewing angle, and smoother motion. I'd trade that for the loss of 0.2" tbh.

True plus the OLED screen would be lovely. I'll see what Apple come out with this September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Theres a marketplace coming with the Zune HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Zune hd 32gb. anyone here going to preoder one on ebay , just spotted the one crowd doing it , delivered to you by sept 27th is what they say, 32gb is 265 euro.
    Im tempted but might wait till a few reviews are in or till christmas if i got one id like a few accesories too like a case and screen protectors or whatever

Zune hd 32gb. anyone here going to preoder one on ebay , just spotted the one crowd doing it , delivered to you by sept 27th is what they say, 32gb is 265 euro.
    Im tempted but might wait till a few reviews are in or till christmas if i got one id like a few accesories too like a case and screen protectors or whatever

265 is quite dear considering the price is 295$ which is 200€ so plus delivery should be max 230€

Get it from amazon,at least the price will be cheaper and you will prob have a warranty with it from them.

Amazon won't deliver this outside of the US. Means options are a little more limited.

Cheers

Aw really? crap,well then I think i'll wait and buy it from a company that does,the ebay price is way overpriced. In sure it will be cheaper, sure it hasnt been released yet

ya i will wait and see what way ebay prices go......
    the only thing that would worry me is there might be a supply/demand issue coming up to christmas

good point,there might be,does best buy or the zune site itself not deliver it to ireland?

at a quick check of microsoft store i think not leave me know if you find anywhere besides ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

don't forget Customs also

uk site but its £249 :eek: before postage
    http://www.zunethings.co.uk/zune-hd-32-gb-p-152.html

they will be cheaper than £250 id say most import crowds are hoping to make a quick profit off preorders. its a pity microsoft dont make the effort to get it out over here .
    Sure once they are out they will pop up all over ebay so hopefully can get a good price there.

• Advertisement

it is being released in europe I thought?

not sure of a date/timeframe.

mine will be coming from the states anyway

Nothing really confirmed for a european release date , just a few statements that it will, a few places such cnet say they would put money on a european christmas release. only prob is.
    No hd radio as its different to DAB and how would the marketplace function

Current gen zunes to be discontinued - HD the way forward.

I found the second gen zune to be quite awesome and with them being discontinued, and you cant splash for the HD, bound to be some bargins to be had

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/09/01/current-zunes-are-discontinued-zune-hd-is-it-going-forward.aspx

kaimera wrote: »
    Current gen zunes to be discontinued - HD the way forward.

A totally logical move, although it is unfortunate. I see apple doing the same thing (maybe not this year now though)

Still am quite interested in the Zune, just need MS to port the zune software over to mac!

Mactard wrote: »
    A totally logical move, although it is unfortunate. I see apple doing the same thing (maybe not this year now though)

Still am quite interested in the Zune, just need MS to port the zune software over to mac!

they really should make them mac compatible it might win them back a few supporters .

I just hate people who just buy ipods cause they seem like the best or coolest .............. id rather buy the best quality product available whoever makes it.

and oddly enough, the new zune sw will be launching Sept 15th as well.

funny that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

Was thinking of getting a Zune HD but I see that today Apple released new Touchs and lowered the prices, 32GB Touch is now $299 and also has a 50% faster processor than the previous model, so I’m undecided now.

Just a couple of questions that maybe someone could answer.

The HD radio: will it pick up ordinary FM signals or is it a completely different technology ?
    The Touch doesn’t have a radio but if the Zune’s radio doesn’t work here then that’s one advantage wiped out.

The processor: probably to early to get a definitive answer on this, but Apple today said they’ve increased the power of their one by 50%, how does this compare to the Zune HD?

My sister is going to the States in 4 weeks so hopefully there should be some hands on reviews of both by then.

on the processor front;

the zune hd is one of the first nVidia Tegra powered handsets; from snippets I've read it has the potential to be very very good in the mobile/pmp area and is quite good on the HD.

on the radio;

I assume it does normal radio but we don't have hd stations here. (open to correction here, tis late for me atm :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Yes we have a form of HD radio [DAB], but it will not work with the HD Zune, without a firmware upgrade [maybe].

A US Zune might not work with European FM/AM radio stations without a firmware upgrade of some sort as the channel spacing and channel width are different from the US.

url

the HD is a US exclusive and MS have no plans to sell it outside the US...for now possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

****ing tools...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement