Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I was abused by a taxi driver in the bus lane yesterday.

Options
  • 20-12-2007 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Right, so I left work for lunch yesterday, to get into Liffey Valley Center to buy some Christmas cards, and maybe a sandwich or something too. Got there about 4pm, and was there for about 35 minutes. Came out and drove into a whole lot of traffic, a lot more than I was anticipating.

Anyway, after crawling past the Foxhunter pub, traffic didn't change, and got worse, as usual. So I comtemplated using the Buslane, which runs the length of the Lucan Bypass up to the traffic lights, heading west.

(Now, just to make this point clear, I don't use the Buslanes ever, unless of course the usage time on the sign expires, and they are open to all vehicals, you know yourself.)

So, I'm driving down the Buslane, and a taxi comes up behind me, full beams on probably to get me out of the way, not happening. Now about halfway down this Buslane there is a turnoff to the left, and the Buslane breaks. So I drive up here, and turn around, and head back for the Buslane, and rejoined it, the same taxi is still behind me, with full beams on.
    So I'm cruising down the Buslane again, and the traffic starts to move, so I indicate and join it. The taxi pulls up beside me and the driver starts banging on my window, calls me a little wanker and drives off.

What the hell, he doesn't OWN the Buslane?

So, I get back into the Buslane, and put on my beams. He stops his Trajet dead, and puts on the hazards, and sits there. Blocking the whole lane for about a minute.

There is a queue off buses behind me all flashing the lights. He decides to move, i overtake him, and he sits behind me with his full beams on, all the way down the M4.

I know I was in the wrong, but don't deserve abuse from taxi drivers, driving down buslanes with NO passengers, and acting like they own the damn Buslane.

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

I know I was in the wrong

Nail...head

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know I was in the wrong, but don't deserve abuse from taxi drivers, driving down buslanes with NO passengers, and acting like they own the damn Buslane.
    From what you've said, it actually sounds like you do. And believe me, i'm no fan of taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Are you looking for sympathy? If so I think you're in the wrong place? Although I don't condone the taxi mans agressive attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm a pedestrian. I'm walking down the middle of the street, rather than using the foot path to the left of me. You drive up behind me. Whats your response?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

(Now, just to make this point clear, I don't use the Buslanes ever, unless of course the usage time on the sign expires, and they are open to all vehicals, you know yourself.)

The buslanes on the Lucan road are, in their entirity, 24 hours. So why did you even consider using them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The taxi driver acted like a little pr!ck to be honest. You still had no right to be in the bus lane though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

No sympathy - Bus lanes are there for certain vehicles! Plus an hour to get into and out of liffey valley over christmas? You must be mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Typical Joe Maxi driver, were you delaying him? No, so what was his problem, every morning on the N4 I see the tossers with their kids in their taxi heading for the schools in the bus lane. If he had a problem with you he should have reported you not started doing what he did " Road Rage". Stay out of the Bus lane but when one of them wants to get back into traffic let them wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Maybe I'm not getting my point across. We all, as drivers of something know what it's like, to see someone do something wrong. But do we all shout abuse, and bang on windows, I think not.

If I started banging on the windows of ever L driver on the motorway, i would have no arm left.

I wouldn't mind if he was in a hurry and had passengers, but the thing was empty, and he had time to stop and delay me and all behind me.

Only lately I'm starting to spot more and more taxis and hackneys with no passengers at all in them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Both of you were in the wrong,road rage.

You should not have been in the bus lane and its not up to the taxi driver to police this.

• Advertisement

He may have been on call to pick up passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

You don't just decide one day to use the buslane - in a rush or no rush.

It's a 'risk it' attitude and you got nailed - luckily not by a cop.

Cop would have slapped you with points and a fine, instead you got called a name - i know what i'd prefer.

You still didn't learn your lesson and retaliated.

No contest, you were in the wrong and created the problem. Had you decided not to chance it, it wouldn't have happened.

I'm no taxi driver, but i'd imagine he has to put up with this crap day after day - people with no right to be in bus lanes, chancing their arm. Cops aren't about, so rather than let you get away with it knowing there's a good chance you'll do it again, he tries to leave a lasting message.

Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You were completely in the wrong but that doesn't excuse the fact that the taxi driver was a pr1ck to you. What you did is as bad as the cretins that think the hard shoulder on the road from the shopping centre in Mahon Point is a normal lane as well and then just barge their way through just before the tunnel. If they ever do it to me I blow them out of it with the horn!

smemon wrote: »
    I'm no taxi driver, but i'd imagine he has to put up with this crap day after day - people with no right to be in bus lanes, chancing their arm. Cops aren't about, so rather than let you get away with it knowing there's a good chance you'll do it again, he tries to leave a lasting message.

Job done.

I don't agree its not up to a taxi driver to police the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Maybe I'm not getting my point across.

no you are getting it across fine but its till wrong.

you did wrong you got your cummupins...boohoo get over it and move on. if you dont want it to happen again dont use the bus lane when your not allowed. if you dont care about it happening again then go ahead and use the buslane.

i will never...ever let someone back into the flow of traffic from a bus lane if they were not meant to be in it in the first place but then im a provisional driver who uses the motorway the odd time so ignore me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

So, I get back into the Buslane, and put on my beams. He stops his Trajet dead, and puts on the hazards, and sits there. Blocking the whole lane for about a minute.

There is a queue off buses behind me all flashing the lights. He decides to move, i overtake him, and he sits behind me with his full beams on, all the way down the M4.

Two idiots playing silly buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

You should have got out and hopped the head off him with a wheel brace.!:D
    I'm Kidding.

Sorry man you were in the wrong, though I don't condone his aggressive behavior nor do i generally like taxi drivers

I was willing to take the fine and points, as I have none and could afford to pay the fine. But I don't need some guy policing the buslane cause the gardai aren't about.

I was willing to take the fine and points, as I have none and could afford to pay the fine. But I don't need some guy policing the buslane cause the gardai aren't about.

he wasnt policing the buslane he was trying to piss you off like you pissed him off and he did

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

NBar wrote: »
    Typical Joe Maxi driver, were you delaying him? No, so what was his problem
    The OP said in his first post that he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Think of it as a citizens arrest ;)

I praise the taxi driver for doing what he did, up until the point he stopped and put on the hazards - that's getting other drivers involved and not on - lack of respect.

If everyone did what he did up to and after that point, there would be no buslane chancers or no queue jumpers - as they'd know they wouldn't get back in.

smemon wrote: »
    Think of it as a citizens arrest ;)

I praise the taxi driver for doing what he did, up until the point he stopped and put on the hazards - that's getting other drivers involved and not on - lack of respect.

If everyone did what he did up to and after that point, there would be no buslane chancers or no queue jumpers - as they'd know they wouldn't get back in.

How did he know that the OP was not a cop...?or someone in a rush is hospital...?

If I pissed him off cause I delayed him, he delayed himself further, ha, and i got to work sooner.

If I pissed him off cause I delayed him, he delayed himself further, ha, and i got to work sooner.

exactly therefore you have no reason to bitch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

A little over the top, fair enough. Nothing to do with you delaying him though. He was just defending his turf. What if everyone took your example and started using the bus lanes when they couldn't be arsed waiting? His cushy perk becomes useless!

While he doesn't 'own' the lane, it is in his interests to keep you out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No sympathy. I effing hate bus lane cruisers in their Mercs and Beamers "Yeah, I'm very important so I'm using the VIP lane".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 simplybikes

both of you were wrong of that there is no question. You should not have been in the bus lane and he is a taxi driver and not the police so not his job to act as he did. What amuses me about taxi drivers is this attitude that they feel they have the right to police bus lanes and get all high and mighty that someone is "breaking the law" but at he same time not adhere to the speed limits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I was willing to take the fine and points,
    Does that make murder okay if the offender doesn't mind going to jail for it? :confused:

fletch wrote: »
    Does that make murder okay if the offender doesn't mind going to jail for it? :confused:
    Just so long as nobody gets killed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Did you take the number of the taxi and report him to Mister Taxi Regulator ? Oh he won't like that.

Also one of the Traffic Control CCTVs would have caught it.

I'd take the points and take him to the cleaners for the road rage.

Tell us : will you drive in the bus lane again ?

Get out of the bus lane. People who drive in it who're not supposed to get no sympathy.

Are you a 'special' person ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement