Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I was abused by a taxi driver in the bus lane yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I pissed him off cause I delayed him, he delayed himself further, ha, and i got to work sooner.
    You might wish to consider removing the BMW car club Ireland link from your sig. They have enough of an image problem as it is, without you making things even worse.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

biko wrote: »
    I effing hate bus lane cruisers in their Mercs and Beamers

Stupid generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If I pissed him off cause I delayed him, he delayed himself further, ha, and i got to work sooner.
    Ah, another BMW "I'm better than you" driver using the bus land. What a surprise there...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Dub13 wrote: »
    How did he know that the OP was not a cop...?or someone in a rush is hospital...?

as he was obviously driving at a slower speed than the taxi behind him ;)

how did the OP know the taxi wasn't in a rush to hospital?

no getting out of this one i'm afraid.

it all started when the OP made the decision to hop into the bus lane, which he isn't entitled to use.

the op then claims he was being abused etc.. which in my view is like trying to claim of insurance when you've no license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mac1970

To be honest the taxi was in the right and the driver is in the wrong even though his attitude was ott and i don't condone whatsoever. Taxis can use the buslanes even with no passengers as they could be going to pick up a customer. Theypay over 6000 euro for their license and one of the priveliges is to be able to use the bus lanes for convenience of paying public like ourselves so think about it the next time you are in a taxi and the traffic is manic and the driver uses the bus lane to get you to your destination quicker and cheaper and if its full of joe public you wouldn't be happy watching the metre tick away!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

trellheim wrote: »
    Get out of the bus lane. People who drive in it who're not supposed to get no sympathy. Are you a 'special' person ?

Well said.

This, folks, is a case of mummy patting little Jimmy on the head every day and telling him how special he his.

GERRROUADDA that bus lane and queue like the rest of us. Despite what your mother told ya, you're not special and it is the LAW so toe the f***ing line:mad:.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

smemon wrote: »
    as he was obviously driving at a slower speed than the taxi behind him ;)

how did the OP know the taxi wasn't in a rush to hospital?

no getting out of this one i'm afraid.

it all started when the OP made the decision to hop into the bus lane, which he isn't entitled to use.

the op then claims he was being abused etc.. which in my view is like trying to claim of insurance when you've no license.

Don't get me wrong as I said in my first post on this thread that the OP and the taxi driver were wrong.

My point been that the taxi driver must be used to this kind of thing at this stage and if he keeps acting like this he will get in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

MarkN wrote: »
    Stupid generalisation.
    Bloody true though. Frequency of wanker sightings in bus lane:

1. Mercedes (especially SUVs)
    2. BMW (Likewise)
    3. SUV's
    4. Taxis
    5. Buses

Well sorry Jackal but you're type of person who cut me up in traffic this morning right in front of the Dept. of Justice (where there is ALWAYS a guard standing but not this morning!!) not because I had a right to merge but because I was driving a BMW.

You and people like you, need to get the whole thing out of your head. A brand of car is not driving a car, a HUMAN is.

A LOT of Irish people need to lie on a couch belonging to a man/woman with a degree in psychology and stare at this sign for a long time!!

bmw-logo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

As a taxi driver I see this every day.And not as a generalisation I would say that 95% of people cruising in bus lanes are BMW or Merc drivers.I dont abuse them in any I JUST PRAY THERE IS A GARDA IN A BAD MOOD WAITING DOWN THE ROAD.It is obvious that you dont give a **** about the other drivers who are queing in the normal lanes.
    As for doing cause there are n o Garda around my response to you is this.
    You,sir are an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

you're looking for sympathy? If I was that taxi driver I would have braked in front off you. I'd love to see you explain how your car was up the arse of a taxi in the bus lane. Sick of you pricks.

bcmf wrote: »
    I would say that 95% of people cruising in bus lanes are BMW or Merc drivers.

Howaya Mr Taxi.. seeing as we're generalising so. Here's a picture I've drawn for you.

3.jpg

the_syco wrote: »
    Ah, another BMW "I'm better than you" driver using the bus land. What a surprise there...:rolleyes:
    Well sorry Jackal but you're type of person who cut me up in traffic this morning right in front of the Dept. of Justice (where there is ALWAYS a guard standing but not this morning!!) not because I had a right to merge but because I was driving a BMW.

You and people like you, need to get the whole thing out of your head. A brand of car is not driving a car, a HUMAN is.

A LOT of Irish people need to lie on a couch belonging to a man/woman with a degree in psychology and stare at this sign for a long time!!

You had a right to merge... are you sure? Check my non-exhaustive list below to check whether you had a legitimate right to merge, or you were pulling manouver number 2 - which is a classic Beemer move.

Yes I bloody would cut you up given half a chance. If by cut up, you mean attempt to stop the drivers of the BMW/MERC/RANGEROVER/SUV brand (humans of a subtype WANKER) pulling their usual ****e:

1. Bus lanes
    2. Driving in the empty right-only lane past a load of traffic then attempting to dive into the left... like you made a mistake.
    3. Going through red lights 3-5 seconds too late
    4. Pulling out.. and out.. and out until you completely block a lane of traffic when you do not have right of way.
    5. Thinking that putting on hazard lights both absolves you of all wanker behaviour and allows you to park anywhere while you nip into the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

markN no need for those huge pics

jackal wrote: »
    Yes I bloody would cut you up given half a chance.

Such a foolish comment to come out with.

You sound like a timebomb on the roads to be honest.

You'll either get a dig or a trip to explain yourself to a judge.

Lads, I hate people using bus lanes etc as much as the next person but taking the law into your own hands is not your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The taxi driver was completely in the wrong. He got out of his vehicle and sought a confrontation with you. He stopped his vehicle in the buslane again to seek a confrontation. It's none of his business if you decide to take the risk to use the buslane. He can report it if he wishes. What if you were trying to get to a hospital in an emergency? What an uppity little f**ker.

You'll get a dig

Is that a threat?

Selective quoting is such fun no?

What I was saying, and you probably know this already.. is that from the posters point of view he is legitimately trying to merge and was cut up. Thats poor. I dont cut people up if they are trying to merge legitimately. If I see one trying to pull the driving past a queue and then "trying to merge" i.e. skip the traffic, then yes I would go out of my way to block them.

As for the chances of getting a dig/caught by the guards... A dig is much more likely on our roads. There is no fear of getting caught with bad behaviour on the road, therefore it is up to other drivers such as that taxi driver, to enforce etiquette on the road.

Based on the **** I see BMW's etc pulling, I do not give them the benifit of the doubt.

wyndham wrote: »
    The taxi driver was completely in the wrong. He got out of his vehicle and sought a confrontation with you. He stopped his vehicle in the buslane again to seek a confrontation. It's none of his business if you decide to take the risk to use the buslane. He can report it if he wishes. What if you were trying to get to a hospital in an emergency? What an uppity little f**ker.

Why dont you point out the rule of the road about using bus lanes for emergencies to us all?

He was blocking a vehicle that had no right to be in that lane. The driver should have removed himself from the bus lane. Unless there is a sign on your roof that says "taxi" or you are in fact driving a bus, then get out of the bus lane.

Selective quoting is such fun no?

Depends how old you are I guess.

therefore it is up to other drivers such as that taxi driver, to enforce etiquette on the road.

Taxi drivers in Dublin, the salt of the earth they are, salt of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Why dont you point out the rule of the road about using bus lanes for emergencies to us all?

Never said there was a rule. No right-minded person or Guard or Court would object to same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

1. Who said i drive a Beemer.
    2. I like the way statistics or lack-of, prove that the majority of Buslane bandits are actual drivers of certain marque of car. No statistics, just opinion.

Taxi drivers are one to talk. Yes they have paid 6 grand for their licence, but i wonder how many are sending in the tax returns accurately. It's nice to be able to get the cash in hand, not unlike us PAYE suckers.

4. I freqented many a taxi driver who broke the speed limit, and the same that can be said for driving "the long way round" too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Here are the RULES :

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a32

Important :

Section 5:
    5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

Section 32

Bus Lanes

32. (1) A bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 028 or traffic sign number RUS 029 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024, and a contra flow bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 030 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024.

(2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(3) A person shall not enter a contra flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus.

(4) A person shall not enter a bus only street with a vehicle other than an omnibus except for the purpose of access.

(5) ( a ) Sub-articles (1) and (2) shall not apply to a vehicle crossing a with flow bus lane or a contra flow bus lane solely for the purpose—

(i) of entering or leaving premises or property adjacent to such a bus lane, or

(ii) of entering or leaving a road inset adjacent to such a bus lane in order to load or unload goods.

( b ) Sub-article (2) shall not apply to a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi which is being used in the course of business.

These are the rules and are from the 1997 regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

...and the stampede of long-legged horses continued across the Motors forum as another Christmas approached....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

bcmf wrote: »
    As for doing cause there are n o Garda around my response to you is this.
    You,sir are an idiot.

Sounds pretty smart to me. A lot smarter than doing it when a Garda is around, anyway.

Who is to say the a taxi is doing business? I have seen taxi parked at night timein owners homes with the Taxi sign still attached to the roof.

Something gives me the feeling that some taxi drivers never remove their roof sign, and continue to drive their taxis when doing personal errands too. Imagine that.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

E92 wrote: »
    You were completely in the wrong but that doesn't excuse the fact that the taxi driver was a pr1ck to you. What you did is as bad as the cretins that think the hard shoulder on the road from the shopping centre in Mahon Point is a normal lane as well and then just barge their way through just before the tunnel. If they ever do it to me I blow them out of it with the horn!

Just passed up by Mahon Point a while ago. As usual the queue into the Centre is long so langer Dan in his transit decides to go up to the lights, stop in the "straight ahead" lane and wait until the right-tuen filter comes on.

Unfortunately in his cunning plan langer Dan didn't think that there would be a Guard at the junction who told him to sling 'is 'ook....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Neuromancer - You're no better than the worst taxi drivers in this city when it comes to obeying the rules of the road.

I too wish you'd run into the back of that taxi in the bus lane. You'd deserve every form of punishment you would have received.

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Neuromancer - You're no better than the worst taxi drivers in this city when it comes to obeying the rules of the road.

You don't know me, so don't judge me.
    Gil_Dub wrote: »
    I too wish you'd run into the back of that taxi in the bus lane. You'd deserve every form of punishment you would have received.

Yeah, that would make you feel better, an accident. This coming from you, ha. My punishment would have been a fine and points, I'll accept that, but no one deserves abuse from a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't know me, so don't judge me.

You admitted to breaking the ROTR in your opening post of the topic, so we can judge all we like, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

but no one deserves abuse from a stranger.
    Would you ever stop being such a cry-baby, it's not as if he actually hit you or anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement