Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym

Options
  • 20-12-2007 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Best one for swimmers? Also need treadmill and weights. Any idea? NRG, Kingfisher, Leisureland? Want somewhere that's open a lot, not many classes on, money not an issue really. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

I joined the quality hotel gym but the equipment wasnt for me (was more into free weights etc). They have alot of cardio equipment and some free weights. They dont have a bench press and some other basic equipment.

Their pool is pretty good though and im sure its what i was paying most of the 56/ quid a month for.

Joined Leisureland. It has a good mix of weights and cardio stuff. The pool you prob know about. 180 for 3 months membership (unrestricted times etc). Bit of a trek across the city but suits me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Kingfisher is pretty good. It's where I go. Cardio is excellent, weights are good, plenty of machines including a smith, two free weight benches, chest press, leg press and extension machines amongst many more etc etc....pretty much anything anyone could want really. Nearly everytime I go, it's practically deserted, which means you have loads of space to do whatever you want to do. Nice pool as well.

The Quality is a joke (with regards using it regularly, not as hotel gyms go), their pool is small and their weights are appalling (not to mention looking like from the 1980's), though their cardio is very good. They have a free weights bench but it's part of the Smith machine...you just lie backwards :D

Seriously though, awful place for any kind of weights. If it's anyway busy (i.e more then 2 people) you have to wait for things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

which side of the City are you? i was in the Clybaun before and it was grand. used get very busy at times, haven't been in a few years now though. i hear Leisureland is decent too but haven't been myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I used to go to NRG on Bohermore...never too busy, 20m pool, nice facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Leisureland has a very large pool and a good weight/equipment room. However it is used a good bit by swim teams and the like, so the pool always looks relatively crowded (i've only been by twice though). The weight/cardio room seemed pretty empty. The hotel next door has a pool and gym that you can pay to be a member of but it was tiny (and the same price as leisureland).

One of my friends is a member of NRG and says good things about it - I'd say it's also the closest gym to city center that has a pool.

Can't tell you much more - opted to go for gym that was cheap but no pool, knowing I'd never actually swim enough to make it worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

tristanc wrote: »
    Leisureland has a very large pool and a good weight/equipment room. However it is used a good bit by swim teams and the like, so the pool always looks relatively crowded (i've only been by twice though).

I go there swimming 6 days a week there are 6 lanes, 3 for clubs and 3 for public ( slow,medium,fast lanes ) Its only 40e per month and you get to go whenever there is a public session running and thats 4 times a day and there is also a steamroom and sauna included in the 40e.

Best money i ever spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Basing this on times so...when is Leisureland open & when is NRG open? For the pool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Basing this on times so...when is Leisureland open & when is NRG open? For the pool?

the gym in leisureland is according to their site:
    Monday - Friday
    7.00am - 10.30pm

Saturday/ Sunday
    9.00am - 8.00pm

Leisureland pool times:

8AM-930AM

1230PM-2PM

545PM-715PM

8PM-10PM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I used to go to NRG at about 7am... generally arriving in about 6:50, and it was open then, I think it stayed open till about 10 in the evening

• Advertisement

Can anyone verify they stick to those pool times in Leisureland cos I can't imagine when all the lessons get done if they do stick to them.

Can anyone verify they stick to those pool times in Leisureland cos I can't imagine when all the lessons get done if they do stick to them.

What i gave you is the public session times. There are Lessons in between the Public session timings. There are new lessons beginning in Jan but you need to get the timings from the pamphlets they have at the Customer Service desk.

I was wondering alright cos those times really don't leave much time for classes. I'll go in & ask them myself next time I'm in the vicinity. Thanks

Advertisement