Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achtung Achtung!

Options
  • 20-12-2007 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Must watch my bank balance so. I always use the cash machines in Douglas and South Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

There's a lot to be said for getting cash back from shops, prob a lot safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said for getting cash back from shops, prob a lot safer.

huzzah for laser.... but my friends account was debited from japan WHILE it was being used in cork at same time. Approx 7grand.... she did get it back.... i like to make withdrawals from my mattress.... although i did see a mouse looking at me funny the last day i did that..... must booby trap the coils.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

According to the Echo (so it's definitely true) it's a gang that jet in from East Europe, run a bunch of ATM skimming scams over the course of a few days, and then leg it home. the usual advice - check the machine and cover the keypad as you enter your pin. They also mentioned gang of pickpockets down in Cork for christmas, covering the crowds watching on street entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Iduno about the rest of ye but the ATMs around the South Mall always seemed fierce dodgey to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

so you say one of them was at mahon point? that's what we thougt, too. we were among the victims: used the card on the 10th, at mahon point i think then on the 15th and 16th, 2x700 euro gone from our account...:eek: soo scary. from now on i will try to use cashback in shops or get the cash from a live teller, in a bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

do people have any come back on it?are the bands insured for this type of thing or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Well anyone that i'v heard who has had money taken from their account have gotten it back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

scaryfairy wrote: »
    so you say one of them was at mahon point? that's what we thougt, too. we were among the victims: used the card on the 10th, at mahon point i think then on the 15th and 16th, 2x700 euro gone from our account...:eek: soo scary. from now on i will try to use cashback in shops or get the cash from a live teller, in a bank!

That's crazy. Will you get any recompence?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

yeah, thank goodness, we got the money back. they have been very efficient both at the bank and gardai. but don't know how long banks can take this and keep on picking up the bill... i'll be extremely vigilant from now on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

First I heard thanks for letting us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

There was a time when to get access to the BOI ATM you had to swipe your card to open a glass door and then use the machine in private...maybe for security reasons they should bring back this as the "open" machines are obviously being accessed and tampered with quite easily.

Might be an idea for people to change their PIN regularly to keep one step ahead of those eastern european gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Security is always a double edged sword. You'd have to change your pin every time you use it, using a secure machine to do it. Apart from the effort it would take people would forget their pins all the time.

Guess who's studying security at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Big Tone wrote: »
    There was a time when to get access to the BOI ATM you had to swipe your card to open a glass door and then use the machine in private...maybe for security reasons they should bring back this as the "open" machines are obviously being accessed and tampered with quite easily.

Might be an idea for people to change their PIN regularly to keep one step ahead of those eastern european gangs.
    This wouldn't be practical as it would take too long, there is already long queues to go to an atm during the day in the city centre in any busy period, this would make it twice as slow

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

what are we doing here being suckers.... surely we could set up our own gang, fiddle a few atms and retire to the bahamas *or that island that lost is set in.... i could play student nurse to dr jack and wipe the floor with that hoe kate.... and we'd have a load of people cursing our names in a half admiring half resentful way....

*watchin ordinary decent criminal has had a detrimental effect on my beliefs system...

Advertisement