Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Won something on a radio station, what's the likely-hood I'll get it?

• 20-12-2007 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I've won a big enough prize on a well known Dublin radio station, and got told that I'd receive a call telling me when they have some in the station and I can go and pick it up (it's a piece of electronics).

That was last night, and I know I'm being impatient by wondering if I'll actually get it or not already, but is it possible that a radio show would give out prizes and then not deliver on the promise so that they appear generous on air, or do most stick to their word?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

If they are giving one out a week/day etc they will probably do it in batchs. You should probably call them, no harm, they might have lost your details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Most Dublin stations will not post stuff out generally so I would call during office hours to arrange getting your prize.

Dublin stations don't do fake prizes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It would hardly be a good selling point would it? :D

I've won stuff in the past and always got it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

they most likley took your details, like a mobile number when you won.

They'll have you on record somewhere, they dont post stuff out because in the past some people have claimed that they didnt get the prize, causes a world of hassle.

Give them a call, but be advised, do it today (Friday 21), They might be down to skeleton crew over Christmas, only jocks and newsreaders there who dont have keys to prize lockers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

MarkN wrote: »

1 particular station in Dublin never gave me a prize I won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

Speaking of prizes, Dublin radio stations, namely FM104 and 98FM really go over the top when it comes to prizes and money give aways. Do 98FM still do the cash call?? The 98FM fugitive was a genius of an idea, but they milked it too much and people grew sick of it. Today FM and 2FM although much better stations don't give out as much prizes in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

have won stuff before on the national stations, was one of those first 10 caller things, name got mentioned on air, got a call few days later to get my address, received prize following week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

I won a Kenwood Clock Radio on the 2FM Breakfast Club when Peter Collins and Theresa Lowe presented, on the 26th December 1989 (I think) for being "first up" at 7am as they called it

It took to mid February to get it!:D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I won a 1GB Zen on Newstalk's The Right Hook about 2 months ago. Received it there last week. \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Speaking of prizes, Dublin radio stations, namely FM104 and 98FM really go over the top when it comes to prizes and money give aways. Do 98FM still do the cash call?? The 98FM fugitive was a genius of an idea, but they milked it too much and people grew sick of it. Today FM and 2FM although much better stations don't give out as much prizes in my opinion.

So what exactly are you saying? Giving away prizes is bad? :confused:

Hammering home the idea that 98 and 104 give away more than any other stations is bad marketing?

Not sure if 98 do still do the cash call but there is nothing more a listener wants as a prize than cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Won a T-shirt from Declan Meehan in 84 when he was on NOVA doing "Looney Lyrics" I'm still waiting Declan?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

Most radio stations would have the prizes in store before giving them away. Naturally, there will be exceptions, but you should never be worried about receiving your prize.

Considering FM104 & 98FM are the two biggest stations in Dublin, I'd say they're doing something right. People love to win things, the bigger the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I won an ipod shuffle recently... got a call the mid week after being on the radio on the Friday night and it came from the uk 2 weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I won condoms from beat 102. condoms and lollipops

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Radio stations don't do fake prizes, would be very bad pr. If there's a delay in your prize it can be because they are doing a whole bunch of the one prize and are expecting a delivery. I wouldnt wait around for ever if you are not hearing from them because the receptionist or who ever is looking after your prize just might need a kick in the bum!

If you were having a real difficulty in getting a prize you won, ring the station looking for manager, or email one of the managers. Most stations have their act together, but if not, there's some lazy one dealing with them. Dont take the bull. And if its a massive prize, a threat of a solicitors letter will be like putting a rocket under their ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

MarkN wrote: »
    Not true, I won something on 98fm about two years ago and never received it.

Anything I've won from Phantom FM, Newstalk, FM104 and TodayFM I've received very promptly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭cor

I won a hamper on Q102 and it was sent to me by courier not long after I won. I won a prize on 98FM and they asked me to call to the station to collect it.

Amz wrote: »
    Not true, I won something on 98fm about two years ago and never received it.

Just because you didnt get the prrize doesn't mean it was a fake prize, did you follow through on why you didn't get it. There can be a very simple reason as to why you didn't. I doubt very much it was a fake comp. But I would say a station that you don't get your prize from is not worth listening to. Ineffecient, not good enough. But fake??? that could get them into serious trouble, doubt any station would be stupid enough to do that.

I did follow up, they claimed never to have had the competition or taken my details etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That's very poor form from any radio station never mind one as big as 98fm

You could have proved them wrong within 90 days of transmission as they have to log and keep all output for that period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I won tickets off Spin a while ago and got them no hassle at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

I did follow up, they claimed never to have had the competition or taken my details etc.

Amz, considering you enter radio competitions quite a bit, is it possible you got the stations mixed up. I know from experience, there are people who constantly mix up competitions on radio stations. They hear a competition running on one station, and they ring or text the answer to a different station. Sometimes listeners just hear their name called out on air, and don't remember what station it was on.

Eh, no, I'm not an idiot.

Well thats hilarious! Next time you're a winner on a radio station, record the transmission. The muppet is right, they legally have to keep 90 days of transmission, but better still, if you record the competition yourself, and have a recording to prove you are a winner, then they are in big ****!. You could sue. If you are sure you were onto the right station about your prize I would have sent a strongly worded letter to the Managing Director. If the prize was some thing like a holiday give away etc, then a solicitors letter would sort that! Of couse if its just a Cd its probably not worth the hastle, but another option would be contacting the presenter of the programme. I'd hastle the hell out of them, thats so bad. I still don't think they faked a prize, too dodgy, people tape things. Believe it or not, if there was a change in personnel or some thing like that, they may simply have lost your details on file! stupid station!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I won a bobble head ray on the Ray D'Arcy show tonight and just checked my email and they want my address to send it out to me so that looks promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

The thought of a bobble head ray. Few years ago you'ld have probably got a fortune on ebaY for it. seems to be losing his popularity these days.
    I have often won cds on todayfm and they come out within a week or so. Last year I won a gas bbq and bbq pack as a daily winner on tony fenton show. It took over 2 months to come and it was the next model down from one promised. Around €200 of a difference. Didn't bother complaining. The 1 promised would prob have been 2 big anyway.

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    The muppet is right, they legally have to keep 90 days of transmission, !

Thats the legal situation but I would suspect that all stations (especially the bigger ones ) keep a permanent log of all output. They may not be willing to make it availble in this instance but if it were to prove that there is some misunderstanding and the were right they may.

I would be surprised at any station not honouring the terms of competitons but that must happen if the posts here are to be believed. I know stations vett winners (another dubious practice) and I have heard a competition winner on a national station that sounded suspicious but given the rumpus across the water an here lately re competitions I would imagine most stations are being extra carefull at the moment . The negative publicity that would ensue if any wrong doing is proven will far outweigh any savings they may make by not playing competitions by the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

God I've won loads over the years - a phone and a holiday on Ian Dempsey, a load of CD's on Tom Dunne a DVD home cinema on Marty Whelan and a very nice VIP night at the Green Energy festival thanks to Rick O' Shea - don't get to listen to the radio much these days though unfortunately so the booty has dwindled :D I'm not one of those serial competition contestants though I think I just had a run of good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I work for a radio station and sometimes we do giveaways that would last the week, like one prize a day for the week.sometimes we would give away prizes that we havent even recieved yet, but we ring the winners and tell them we will contact them when they arrive, or if we haev the prize we ring winners and tell them to come in a collect it, or if they are a bit out we send it to them if its only somehting small liek a cd or something, sometimes our prizes go through BMS (broadcast media sales) so we email the winners to them and then it is out of our hands, we sometimes get phone calls from people who are pissed off about not getting their prizes..when it would have been out of our hands..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Femmy wrote: »
    sometimes our prizes go through BMS (broadcast media sales) ..

sometimes get phone calls from people who are pissed off about not getting their prizes..when it would have been out of our hands..

Be VERY careful about who you blame on a public forum like this. :)

sometimes our prizes go through BMS (broadcast media sales) so we email the winners to them and then it is out of our hands, we sometimes get phone calls from people who are pissed off about not getting their prizes..when it would have been out of our hands..

That's a very poor attitude to have towards your listeners and your stations reputation. Any prize won on your radio station is not out of your hands untill the winner recieves their prize, you can't just fob it off as someone elses responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I got my bobble head in the post on Monday, not bad since it was posted on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

The Muppet wrote: »
    That's a very poor attitude to have towards your listeners and your stations reputation. Any prize won on your radio station is not out of your hands untill the winner recieves their prize, you can't just fob it off as someone elses responsibility.

well we dont actually say "oh its out of your hands" and leave it at that. we do explain why they havent got their prize and we follow it up ourselves and keep in contact with them until they receive their prize..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

My name was called out on a well known cork radio station on monday ( sent entry by text. just my name and the general area i live in) that I won a what i consider big prize. Havn't heard anything since. all they have is my number but really thought they would have been in contact by now.

Advertisement