Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not paying VRT on an M3 (moved from importing thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Unsubscribed, this thread is turning to ****. Where are the mods?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

m3boy wrote: »
    i believe that everyone has the right to do what they wish as long as it does not intentionally harm anyone else

Your unwillingness to pay your taxes and insurance harms me as a law abiding motorist who does. Why should I subsidise you? Its assholes like you who keep Irish insurance premia so high- as those who do pay their premia end up having to subsidise the scheme for the uninsured. Neither of your proposals would provide you with valid insurance were you in an accident- and you have stated that you either want to lie to the Revenue Commissioners about the car you are driving or intentionally refrain from registering your car here at all. You are intentionally harming all the decent law abiding motorists- thats who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 m3boy

Chaz wrote: »
    Unsubscribed, this thread is turning to ****. Where are the mods?
    we are still talking about vrt which is related to importing from the uk , we are just talking about the implications chaz sorry if these minor dissagrements are annoying you , ill stop as soon as people just understand where im comming from and stop bitc.hing at me like a room full of bored housewifes

smccarrick wrote: »
    Your unwillingness to pay your taxes and insurance harms me as a law abiding motorist who does. Why should I subsidise you? Its assholes like you who keep Irish insurance premia so high- as those who do pay their premia end up having to subsidise the scheme for the uninsured. Neither of your proposals would provide you with valid insurance were you in an accident- and you have stated that you either want to lie to the Revenue Commissioners about the car you are driving or intentionally refrain from registering your car here at all. You are intentionally harming all the decent law abiding motorists- thats who.
    i would be covered by the insurance company , i would be paying insurance so you would not be subsiding me ,
    i run a importing company that imports electronic goods into ireland , first of all there is corporation tax to pay , then ive excise duty on all my products i bring in , plus i have to pay my income tax as well as prsi for other people who work for me not to mention the insurance on the vans and the public liability insurance so please , i can assure you i pay way too much tax, dont tell me that your supporting me , you dont even know my circumstances

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dont tell me that your supporting me , you dont even know my circumstances

Your circumstances are that you are advocating bringing in a car, misreporting the model of the car to the Revenue Commissioners in order to reduce the VRT due on it, misreporting the type of car you are driving to insurance companies in order to lower your premia, advocating driving here indefinitely on UK plates rather than getting Irish plates, advocating lying to the Gardai should you be stopped and questioned about the status of your car, advocating lying to UK based insurance companies regarding the whereabouts and length of time the car is out of the UK- need I go on? Its illegal, period. If you are in an accident and you do not have insurance cover- which you would not have if you have lied to your insurance company- I, as a law abiding motorist paying my insurance premia, pick up the slack via the uninsured fund. Your comments sicken me.

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Again not true. I had an EVO4 registered as a 2ltr lancer on the logbook. However I had to specify that it was an EVO when insuring it. If you think I just registered it as a Lancer that the insurance would pay out in the event of a claim - not a hope in hell.

As said above - Ignorance is not an excuse, and it's YOU that'll pay for it in the end, not the garage that registered it

Seriously, you're making a muppet of yourself with your silly comments that are simply untrue. Do some research, you're just digging a hole
    do you mind me asking why you put it on the log book as a 2l lancer
    ? how come you didnt say it was a 1.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

do you mind me asking why you put it on the log book as a 2l lancer
    ? how come you didnt say it was a 1.3?

Because I like to drive my cars legally. You don't get to choose the details you put on the log book (believe it or not)

They're not all that thick in the VRO you know... "Ah yeah boss she's a 1.3 alright, I just put huge discs on the back and lumped a fake turbo on her to make it look good. Ah the dump valve sir? Sure it's only an electric one"

I'd love to see you going into the VRO and try convincing them that your M3 is a 320. As I said, they're not thick (unfortunately). I had to pay over 5k for VRT for my BMW. They wouldn't even leave the 'SE' out, they included it (it was on the V5) which brought it up even more. What makes you so special that you think you deserve to avoid paying VRT? In fairness, if you're as successful with your business as you claim, VRT on an M3 would only be a drop in the ocean to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mods?

Because I like to drive my cars legally. You don't get to choose the details you put on the log book (believe it or not)

They're not all that thick in the VRO you know... "Ah yeah boss she's a 1.3 alright, I just put huge discs on the back and lumped a fake turbo on her to make it look good. Ah the dump valve sir? Sure it's only an electric one"

I'd love to see you going into the VRO and try convincing them that your M3 is a 320. As I said, they're not thick (unfortunately). I had to pay over 5k for VRT for my BMW. They wouldn't even leave the 'SE' out, they included it (it was on the V5) which brought it up even more. What makes you so special that you think you deserve to avoid paying VRT? In fairness, if you're as successful with your business as you claim, VRT on an M3 would only be a drop in the ocean to you...

that was not my question my question was why did you put an evo down as a 2l lancer on the log book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

When you take in the car into the VRO office they will first check out the V5 reg doc and make note of make, model, VIN Number, Engine number as well as cc's. They will then inspect the car and check that they match. They wont take any paper stickers under the bonnet either for the VIN. They checked in 2 different places in the car I brought in. In the VRO office they have a list of engine numbers for different make and models of cars. They can easily check to see what bhp it is. It would also be fairly obvious by looking under the bonnet of the 3 series that it isnt a 2litre engine.:D

As another poster said M3 are expensive cars to run. Tax insurance, Tyres servicing and parts will be expensive.
    The M3's engine looks completely different to an ordinary 6 cylinder 3 series. Check under the bonnet. They'll know straight away. Here's a clue:
    the M3 engine has "BMW M Power" in big writing written on it, the ordinary 6 cylinder models have "BMW" and that's it. And the M3 has 4 exhausts too, the 6 pots had 2 in an E46 and E36 328i and 325i, and the E36 320i and 323i had just one.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    The M3's engine looks completely different to an ordinary 6 cylinder 3 series. Check under the bonnet. They'll know straight away. Here's a clue:
    the M3 engine has "BMW M Power" in big writing written on it, the ordinary 6 cylinder models have "BMW" and that's it. And the M3 has 4 exhausts too, the 6 pots had 2 in an E46 and E36 328i and 325i, and the E36 320i and 323i had just one.
    yes its uite apparent that they will know its an m3 thats why im not taking it to the vrt office, my point is that m3s have been looged as 320s in the past so there must be a way of getting them into the country and reged as a320

Your circumstances are that you are advocating bringing in a car, misreporting the model of the car to the Revenue Commissioners in order to reduce the VRT due on it, misreporting the type of car you are driving to insurance companies in order to lower your premia, advocating driving here indefinitely on UK plates rather than getting Irish plates, advocating lying to the Gardai should you be stopped and questioned about the status of your car, advocating lying to UK based insurance companies regarding the whereabouts and length of time the car is out of the UK- need I go on? Its illegal, period. If you are in an accident and you do not have insurance cover- which you would not have if you have lied to your insurance company- I, as a law abiding motorist paying my insurance premia, pick up the slack via the uninsured fund. Your comments sicken me.
    i can picture you in my head wearing a louis coplen suit or the likes and going for 3 martini lunches with your friends who are solicitors and also law abiding citizens like berti ahearn
    at the end of the day i support my self and dont see why i should pay money to have someone tell me that i have to pay even more money , if everyone was to obey the law like you the garda would be out of a job , as well as the courthouse , not to mention the street sweepers , im surprised you even approve of importing a car into the country , why dont you do the right thing and purcdhase an irish car which would help better uor economy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Someone ban this idiot. MODS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

that was not my question my question was why did you put an evo down as a 2l lancer on the log book?

I didn't, the person who imported it did.

I guess the reason they did was because, well, um, maybe, just maybe it's a 2litre engine, and it's a Lancer EVO. What do you think it should be on the logbook... a 1.1 litre biodiesel VW or something??

I didn't, the person who imported it did.

I guess the reason they did was because, well, um, maybe, just maybe it's a 2litre engine, and it's a Lancer EVO. What do you think it should be on the logbook... a 1.1 litre biodiesel VW or something??

oi leave it out mate, i tot evos had turbos on dem nd dey were logged as lancer evo 2l t or something , dnt tell me off just because i dont know much about evo's

blastman wrote: »
    Someone ban this idiot. MODS!!!

as for you , its not nice to talk to people with disrespect, especially when you dont even know them , your mother obviously didnt bring you up very well when you were in your younger years

get a grip on your self, your comments are not related to this topic so its you that should be banned from posting on this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

MY comments aren't related to the topic?? I'm not the one who turned a perfectly good guide on to import a car (legally) into a debate about the fairness of democracy and how one might evade the laws of the land. I know you well enough to recognise a troll when I see one, one that I'm not feeding any more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Posts moved into their own thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

m3boy will have to change his name to Dublin Bus boy until he saves enough to go legit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Don't drop the soap!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wow. Interesting thoughts M3boy.

I'd like an M3 too, but due to penal VRT and probably exorbitant insurance and other running costs, I simply can't afford it.

The thing is that you seem to think it's ok to try and defraud the Revenue, to knowingly lie to a potential insurer, or to try and blame someone else for a false declaration.

It's not ok. Yor entire attitude is fudamentally incorrect.

VRT, like it or not, is the law. Dodgy or flawed insurance is another con.

Have a good long think about this. There are many law abiding citizens who would quite happily shop you to the authorities if you try this scam. Me included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

m3boy wrote:
    its purley for cheap vrt,road tax and insurance purposes

You do realise that not having correct information on your insurance makes the insurance totally invalid? Insuring an M3 as a 320 is as good as not insuring it at all.

If you are as responsible a driver as you are at complying with tax and insurance regulations, I pity anyone who ever gets into an accident with you, which will undoubtedly be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

excuse me if you had any brain cells you would have read earlier on that i said i can afford a legaly reged and insured m3 but that i just refuse to be ripped off by the irish revenue commission
    im young and aint got alot of money and noticed they were a lot cheaper over in the uk and that there is a much bigger selection

BAN THE TROLL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

......If you are in an accident and you do not have insurance cover- which you would not have if you have lied to your insurance company- I, as a law abiding motorist paying my insurance premia, pick up the slack via the uninsured fund. Your comments sicken me.

That's if he stopped at all. The wanker who wrote me off this summer past was driving on UK plates but didn't run to the north. So it's most likely he's actually from the republic, and was evading VRT and traceability by not registering the car here. He was some little scrote doing just what M3boy proposes. And I got NOTHING from the insurance board for the loss of my vehicle, not the mention how easily we could have lost our lives.

M3boy, you come across as nothing more than a dirty little scumbag who thinks he's above the law. Do you actually expect anyone to believe that the kind of toerag who spends his time trying to work out how to defraud the state, lie to Gardaí and so on would actually stand up and take the punishment if you harmed someone else?

Come clean - You're a 17 year old importing cheap crap off ebay, aren't you? Businessman my hairy hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

E. Fudd wrote: »
    BAN THE TROLL.

Ah no, don't. This is one of the most entertaining threads of the year.

I'm just wondering though, is m3boy somehow texting his posts in? Or maybe he's just too busy running his electronics importing business to have time to find the CAPS key on his keyboard.

Troll on m3boy, it'll make this night shift go faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I couldn't give a toss about the VRT, if the revenue boyos cop on the car is gone that's as simple as it is. Driving without or fraudulent insurance should lead to at least a 5 year ban and a 5k fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

The funny thing is he truly believes he is in the right and that we are all plonkers for not doing the same .. I'm all right jack taken to extreme. :rolleyes:

Since you've decided that "It's all right because others are doing it too" there's not a lot we can tell you.

a bit of trolling going on too I think.

I drive an LS400 and that's 4 litres of fun to tax and insure.

You, sir , have gotten my goat. Can I have it back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

well robert you certinaly sound like you know your stuff, i really want to import a bmw m3 , im young and aint got alot of money and noticed they were a lot cheaper over in the uk and that there is a much bigger selection , i hear alot of talk about something called a v5 form and difficulties obtaining the other half from the seller which the vrt office require and there can be problems over this ?
    also i would like the m3 registered as say .... ah 320 or something , how can this be done , many garages have offered me the service of registering the car on the logbook with a lower ccengine but how could i do this my self if it says m3 on the form , and even if the form somehow didnt say m3 on it because it was altered someway dont the vrt people look at the car , surley they would notice it was an m3 , your help would be greatly appriciated many thanks
    colin

Are you 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Why not just a smaller engine BMW, as far as i know, going by eBay listings. E36 Convertibles comes as low as 318i, cheaper to buy/insure/VRT and tax all legally? Mod it to M3 spec then if you want, most M3's on the road arent real ones anyway.

VRT sucks, but its there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Like I said in another thread.........This aul forum is gone to the dogs lately....

Seven Worlds will Collide

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement