Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not paying VRT on an M3 (moved from importing thread)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Like I said in another thread.........This aul forum is gone to the dogs lately....

You've said that so many times the words have lost all meaning:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Hey M3BOY your behavior is a bit suicidal in my opinion.

Why don't you take a job in UK for 6 months at least and come back in Ireland with a shinny lovely M3 that will be VRT exempted because that will be a transfer of residence?

Just an idea :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

cantdecide wrote: »
    You've said that so many times the words have lost all meaning:D:D:D

LOL it's funny cos its true :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If somene needs to evade VRT because they find it too expensive then owning a 100K car will also be too expensive for them! Consider the cost of servicing, tyres, insurance, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

m3boy wrote: »
    i can afford one i just dont see why i should be ripped off

You said you can't insure one. Even if you could pull off this scheme, don't bother paying over a thousand euro for an insurance cert on a 320i when it is an M3. You are uninsured, and therefore in my view a scobie. Why should the rest of us bother to insure our cars properly if you don't? Anyway, M3's are expensive to run. Either keep saving or be realistic and buy a decent 320i and run and insure that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Well, he is either a) a troll or b) an idiot, but either way let this thread run, cos it's not about suv's and i can figure out where I want this thread to end, but it could have legs...

Hopefully bill gates comes back and enlightens us. Beats people harping on about suv's and corollas anyway..

(Aside - It's a motors thread folks - car guys on an internet forum - enjoy while you are still allowed...)

Although it's wrong, as long as you are properly insured, screw the man...

Yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 killerbeekilled

m3boy wrote: »
    i can afford one i just dont see why i should be ripped off

Apologies in advance for coming across a bit realistic...BUT:

- if you can't afford one, you should NOT be buying one, keep dreaming and set some short and long term goals.
    - you strike me as someone who would buy one, then save up to be able to run the thing.
    - have you not been reading the news of late on the supposed recent VRT scams going onn, is this not enough to deter.
    - Believe me, im really not in favour of having to pay VRT either, as probably most here, but theres a right way and a wrong way, the wrong way usually ends up in a hefty bill, unneccesary worry, and thick steel bars sharing a cell with buddy-love.
    - fooling the VRT and Revenue is one thing in breaking the law, but with reading the small print in any insurance doc, if you crash/write off/burn and your insurance details are inncorrect against the vehicle, you are likely to be footing a huge bill.
    - this bill is likely to be higher should/would you have been at fault...injuries to others etc...me thinks...jail term (yes - for free)
    - slating berties activities ain gonna get you anywhere when your faced in front of the judge...though, he may sympathise, and let you plead insanity.
    - what age are you?
    - A dream is a dream, some become reality, maybe not today, maybe not tommorow, but soon, if you thinks with your head on your shoulders, plan, and set at the very least, semi realistic goals.
    - work out a budget if this is your dream, set goals and achieve them...without making rash stupid mistakes!!!
    - Apologies again, but do take a reality check, i know you are only asking advice, but the writing seems to be clearly written on the wall if you can manage to think outside the box.
    - The catch is - the instructions of how to think outside the box...are written on the outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - You mentioned that some garages discussed altering you docs...im guessing this is a lovely thing for them to do for you, im also guessing that you will be the first to pin it on them if you get in trouble...thats just my impression of you..

My oh my!!! Take a two doses of common sense, three to four times a day, before during and after meals.............

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Ok, just thought of something, not sure if anyone has mentioned it already, as i didn't read every post.
    Cost of importing a '98 m3: ~£8,000 (€11044) for averagely good specimen + €3800 VRT. = €14800
    So lets say €15000 to import one (€200 to get over to england and back!)
    Cost of buying 1 here. There's 1 on cbg.ie for €18450 that isn't even a convertible, so you're already saving €3450, presumably convertible is more expensive, so factor that in too.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=665835 Here's a convertible for €15500, but its still on english plates, add vrt to that and its way above the cost of importing one yourself.

Now, my point is this, if you can't afford to buy the car here, fair enough, import. If you can't afford to do that legitimately (remembering you're already saving €3500-€4000) and insure it properly, then sorry mate, you can't afford the car! I'd love to drive an m3 too, but i can't afford one, so i drive a €2000 car.

No need to tell you again that you're nothing special and should pay vrt (rip-off as it is) the same as everyone else. Either do it properly, saving yourself a few quid to put towards your legal insurance, or get a cheaper car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

masseyno9 wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=665835 Here's a convertible for €15500, but its still on english plates,
    52,000 miles on a 10 year old BMW. Fishy. Very fishy. I'd need to see copious amounts of service history, which would need to be verified with dealers, as well as HPI checks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    52,000 miles on a 10 year old BMW. Fishy. Very fishy. I'd need to see copious amounts of service history, which would need to be verified with dealers, as well as HPI checks etc.

The ad promises that the car has a full BMW service history, though I wouldn't take the sellers word for it! 52k is low indeed for something that is fast approaching 10 years old.

There is no mention of the VRT being paid for, so the true cost of the car will be like €22,142, as there is presumably 30% VRT to be added on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

M3 whatever is either the most successful Troll in the history of the Boards or he's the thickest poster yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oilrig wrote: »
    M3 whatever is either the most successful Troll in the history of the Boards

Hardly. Interesting to see though how deep a hole someone can dig ;~)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

blastman wrote: »
    gmb, you've got your facts the wrong way around, what Tails said above is right, although the puple part that the seller sends to the DVLA doesn't contain your (the buyer's) details. Once they know the car is exported they no longer care who owns it.

m3boy, is it just the revenue and the VRT crowd you're hoping to fool or is there more to this daft scheme of yours?

Be Careful m3boy, afaik, the DVLA will inform the revenue here that the car has been exported to Ireland and they may well know if its with you if you give the seller your details who in turn may give to the DVLA.

also, having an m3 here in 2008 on uk plates will be short lived. They are cracking down on the vrt avoidance abuse here as we have seen recently. Its a hairbrained scheme you have in mind.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

mick.fr wrote: »
    Why don't you take a job in UK for 6 months at least
    Just an idea :-)

Has to be resident over 12 months, own the car for at least 6

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

E92 wrote: »
    The ad promises that the car has a full BMW service history, though I wouldn't take the sellers word for it! 52k is low indeed for something that is fast approaching 10 years old.

Not really - 5K per year isn't a stupidly low amount (average of 13 miles a day), especially for a car that could well have been a weekend car for most its life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Menace_m3

1st post :) M3 boy personally being a 3.2 M3 EVO convertible owner..... I can tell you that if your thinking about the money for the insurance and or clearing it??!!?? your not gonna be able to run one anyway. you need a petrol tanker behind ya, money for serious services not a hundred quid here and there real money!! and on these roads the convert shudder is real bad :(

Stand next to a 320 and stand next to an M3 not even the best of look alikes will sound like one, pop the bonnet M-power, inner door sills M3, onboard computer/different dash, chassis number ?!? M3 all the way.....

Drop the cash and do it properly, you are NOT insured at ALLLL if you claim its a 320, you have to remember the main aim of an insurance company is to try and get out of paying :) ha (well they try) so dont give them any hooks to hang their hats on....

case closed :) O yeah and Hi all nice debate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Heres a Solution

1) Get a 320
    2) Get a Screw Driver and pry off the 320 badge
    3) Stick on an M3 Badge
    4) If you've time consider adding a Knightrider light to the front

Worst Thread ever...................................

:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 m3boy

See its people like the likes of you who go off the subject and use a bored to vent ones anger , totally inapropiate i must say , rather bitchy as well may i add , something you would see in the likes of the george not that im homophobic or anything but there is no excuse for rude an uncooth comments , if ive offended you in someway perhaps we can come to some sort of a physical arrangment rather then hiding behind ones keybored , really the act of a coward dont you think ?
    Perhaps next time you will atleast wait untill someone insults you before voilently lashing out at them ,
    Shame on you , im discusted ! behave your self !
    Oilrig wrote: »
    M3 whatever is either the most successful Troll in the history of the Boards or he's the thickest poster yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 m3boy

Be Careful m3boy, afaik, the DVLA will inform the revenue here that the car has been exported to Ireland and they may well know if its with you if you give the seller your details who in turn may give to the DVLA.

also, having an m3 here in 2008 on uk plates will be short lived. They are cracking down on the vrt avoidance abuse here as we have seen recently. Its a hairbrained scheme you have in mind.:(

Oh absollutly, i cant help but agree with you , they seem to be pulling in the cars left rigfht and center , non irl plates over here seem to becomming a thing of the past
    however alot of people still seem to be getting away with jap imports being logged as a lower cc minus the turbo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

and before this goes any further...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement