Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new rig (again)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343070

wat we think of them??...4 gb ram in 2 sticks, ocz, heatpipes, 4-4-4-15 timings, pc6400,.....all at such a good price....wats the catch?

am i right in saying, that with a 512mb video card, and 4gb ram, 3.5 gb of ram will show?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

^ That's my understanding anyway.

I've been looking at coolers from the replies and this thread and I'm worried about the weight of them. Intel specifies a max weight for socket 775 coolers (top of my head:400g) and many of these mad yokes go well over that limit to in order to support as many CPUs as possible. Surely the weight limitation is there for a reason? Maybe a heavy cooler in a tower PC would pull on the thermal paste, warp the motherboard, shorten it's lifespan?

edit - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ocz-reaper_5.html#sect0
    That's a review of a similar stick with the same heat pipe. They seem to think it's inefficient.

http://www.pro-clockers.com/review.php?id=281&page=3
    This a more positive review of a redesigned heat spreader. Probably more expensive...

edit edit -- reading the second review it seems low memory timings are overated compared to a fast FSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

cregser wrote: »
    I've been looking at coolers from the replies and this thread and I'm worried about the weight of them. Intel specifies a max weight for socket 775 coolers (top of my head:400g) and many of these mad yokes go well over that limit to in order to support as many CPUs as possible. Surely the weight limitation is there for a reason? Maybe a heavy cooler in a tower PC would pull on the thermal paste, warp the motherboard, shorten it's lifespan?

I have that cooler. It is a very good cooler.

It comes with a backing plate so the motherboard can take the extra weight, and some very long spring mounted pins, makes great solid contact.

I would not be worried about the weight of the cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

HavoK wrote: »

Good find Havok,you should post that in bargain alerts :D....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

@ cregster, ya had to go bringin up another problem point huh!?!?!:D i dnt really think the whole weight thing would matter too much, i mean the manufacturers have to test the coolers first. most of the downward force is held by the retention clips anyway, only the force of the retention clips is put on the chip. (my point of view on it anyway)

im jus after seein 8800gt cards on komplett (not in stock at the moment) with 1gb of vram!, i didnt even realise they existed yet! worth a poke around? (im on dial-up here, cant go investigate)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

@ cregster, ya had to go bringin up another problem point huh!?!?!:D i dnt really think the whole weight thing would matter too much, i mean the manufacturers have to test the coolers first. most of the downward force is held by the retention clips anyway, only the force of the retention clips is put on the chip. (my point of view on it anyway)

im jus after seein 8800gt cards on komplett (not in stock at the moment) with 1gb of vram!, i didnt even realise they existed yet! worth a poke around? (im on dial-up here, cant go investigate)

Theres 36 in stock according to my eye. To be honest unless you plan playing games at the highest resolutions on a high end monitor i wouldnt bother

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

im jus after seein 8800gt cards on komplett (not in stock at the moment) with 1gb of vram!, i didnt even realise they existed yet! worth a poke around? (im on dial-up here, cant go investigate)[/QUOTE]

I saw it on sale for €359.oo in Germany you would be better off buying 2 gts and going sli.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3508403/Acer-P223W-22-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/Product.html

Check out these guys Play.com they do an odd mix of dvds and gadgets with some computer hardware.

Check out the ram 4gb ocz ddr2 for €108.49

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

Play dont ship electronics to Ireland
    TonyM. wrote: »

I saw it on sale for €359.oo in Germany you would be better off buying 2 gts and going sli.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3508403/Acer-P223W-22-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/Product.html

Check out these guys Play.com they do an odd mix of dvds and gadgets with some computer hardware.

Check out the ram 4gb ocz ddr2 for €108.49

Advertisement