Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ever too cold to train?

Options
  • 20-12-2007 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Went out on a 40k spin last night - first time in two months - and I really think the cold did a number on me. For the last 10k no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get my arms/legs warm by cycling harder. Normally on my way home from college i'd be taking my hat/gloves off because i'd get so warm, but I found the total opposite last night.

I cycled to the top of Howth, nothing new about that, and felt fine at the top, ate a banana and felt fine on the way back but. A bit hungry as I hadn't eaten much yesterday, but then I just completely ran out of energy. That's never happened me before. Even if I was running low on energy I'd make it home no problem, but I was seriously wrecked when I got home. I know I haven't been out in a while, but I've been cycling 8k each way to college/work every day so my fitness hasn't dropped to rock bottom or anything.

Does anyone else find the cold just completely drains them?

(I was wearing Lidl cycling leggings, overshoes, jersey, gloves and hat, so I was well wrapped up)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

the same happened me when i went for a spin in november in my shorts!
    been out a few nights this week and its been ok.
    i wear nalini leggings and long sleeve jersey with an atlura rain jacket.
    That keeps me warm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

hmm, i've had a few spins that have descended into misery over the last couple of months because of the cold/improper attire. i find that the cardinal rule is to not get cold in the first place, for me this is particularly true in the mornings for some reason. but once i get cold i can never seem to get warm again while on the bike, the blood just doesn't want to go down to my feet or hands. so some jumping jacks in the house before you get on the bike might help to get the core temp up?

clothing wise you sound like your kitted out fairly well. one thing i've discovered this winter that's bloody brilliant stuff is merino wool. i have a long sleeve base-layer of this stuff and it's bloody amazing, way nicer that the polyester equivalent, though more expensive. i'm getting some merino wool socks from santy.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Sometimes this can be put down to dehydration. i'm no expert but I think its equaly important in winter to replace fluids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Sean02 wrote: »
    Sometimes this can be put down to dehydration. i'm no expert but I think its equaly important in winter to replace fluids.

Nope, drank a full bottle of water over the course of the spin. Only problem was the water was fúckin freezing because of the weather, so drinking it only made me colder. I think i'll try Tom's advice and use an extra layer. Maybe not as fancy, but i'll find something. Interesting you pointed out the socks too-on the descent from Howth the entire front half of both feet were frozen solid. No feeling at all. That's using those neoprene Altura overshoes. Still damn cold. Couldn't get over how long it took me to warm up when I got home-probably more than an hour. If I had to describe it, i'd say my core temp was down 2-3 degrees, but that's probably being over the top, however it certainly felt that bad. Last time I felt that sick was after a triathlon, and even at that, I think last night was worse. Not fun.

Live and learn I guess. I should've realised it was too cold for a proper spin given there was NO ONE out on bikes!

Three cheers for the kind taxi man who took me home tonight and put my bike in the boot of his car. Christmas pints're always good! He earned his €3.30 tip!:D

€2.30 tip. Hoorah!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Get some Assos gear, it's damn expensive but you'll never be cold again in fact there's more chance of being too warm !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I used to take a thermos of hot chocolate with me on last years winter rides. It didn't stay warm for too long though cos I bought a rubbish bike one. Note to everyone, do not buy this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5655

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Your problem wasn't the cold, the cold didn't cause your energy problems, your fueling did. You went out hungry on a 40km cycle with only water and blame the cold for your dip in energy?????

Come on. The cold can make it miserable but it doesn't affect energy levels.

Just notived the "(I was wearing Lidl cycling leggings, overshoes, jersey, gloves and hat, so I was well wrapped up)" line.

You get what you pay for in cycling gear, that stuff isn't going to keep you warm.

Another poster has recommended the Assos gear, I'd second this, its the dogs.

Again your problem on your 40km cycle was food/fitness related.

I have a pair of Assos tights and they are quality. Pricey, but quality. I think it's worth it to pay extra for good gear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Helly Hansen or any other good base layers.
    Thinsulate or similar gloves with ski mitts on top.
    Thinsulate hat, over the ears job or under helmet hat.
    Porridge before you go out in the morning.
    Windtex fronted jacket.
    Good socks not the "Three for a Pound" type. Ya might meet yer one outta "Naked Camera" down Moore Street. Now, she'd keep you warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Assuming that your clothing was initself good enough for the cold temperatures, I think in your case the main problem was probably lack of fuel in you for the ride and the conditions. In this weather a large proportion of your energy is going to be expended merely in keeping your body, limbs and head warm and so you hit the wall like you did. I don't know about you but when it's freezing cold I can't breathe the air in as well and so I tire quicker on that count.

Re-reading your post again you say it was your first cycle in two months.

You've lost your fitness and you were unfuelled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i used to have the Lidl stuff, and tbh it was crap get some decent stuff assos is great if you can afford it. chainreaction cycles is the best place to get your winter gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Too cold?
    Conditions: at 0800 on 12/18/2007 was -32.4 F and falling (Fairbanks, Alaska). Wind was out of east at 1 mph. Sunrise at 1055; sunset at 2:39 for a total of 3 hours and 43 minutes of daylight.

Today I wore:

Boots are size 10 (usually weat size 8.5) Salomon to accomodate at least three pair wool socks. Today, only wore two pair SmartWool socks; one thin, one thick pair.

Pants: Five layers. First two are poypro. Third layer is Sporthill X-C skiing pants. Fourth layer is Pearl Izumi biking pants of Polyester, spandex, wool and acrylic fibers. Fifth layer is Schoeller Dryskin (Nylon, Coolmax polyester and spandex)

Top: Four layers: first layer is thin Icebreaker wool. Second layer Patagonia capilene, third layer is Banan Republic half meriino wool, half camel hair sweater (wicks fantastic!) and outer shell is Patagonia nylon shelled with polypro pile insulation extra large jacket.

Head: Polypro balaclava, NoFog neoprene mask that diverts my breathing so as not to fog my lenses. Heavy wool hat on my head that barely fits in my helmet. Another sock type knit hat is stretched over my helmet for added insulation. Goggles are military issue, clear ballistic (Not really necessary) lenses.

Gloves: Three layers, thin polypro layer. Over that is a mid-weight wool glove, and then a pair of extra large gloves. Just put on my poagies on my handlebars this morning as temperatures have dropped below -30º F. for the first time this year.

I don't particularly like cycling in our "cold" but it's not that bad :)

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=153960&page=12

E@gle. wrote: »
    i used to have the Lidl stuff, and tbh it was crap get some decent stuff assos is great if you can afford it. chainreaction cycles is the best place to get your winter gear.

Chainreaction doesn't sell any Assos gear though, but www.wiggle.co.uk does.

Raam wrote: »
    Chainreaction doesn't sell any Assos gear though, but www.wiggle.co.uk does.

i think i must of got mine from www.probikekit.com

E@gle. wrote: »
    i think i must of got mine from www.probikekit.com

Probikekit looks to be cheaper than Wiggle.

Heading out again today, this time-more layers, fully fueled and energy drink in the water bottle. Hopefully I won't bonk again!:o

As for buying assos gear-unfortunately I'm broke, so the Lidl leggings'll have to do for the moment. The rest of my gear's fine though.

they dont add the VAT until you go to the checkout

• Advertisement

Yes but probikekit add on 17 % tax at the checkout so beware it might not be as cheap as it looks. Ebay does have Assos stuff too i've seen new Airblock jackets on it for €170 ish and they're €250 in cyclesuperstore :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

Today was almost to cold as I dont have my Windstopper gloves anymore which took me from Dublin to Galway on this day four years ago, after Ballinasloe when the sheet rain started the fingers half filled with rain water as I hadnt formed a seal with the sleeves but the gloves were so good the water was warm.It was one of the coldest days ever for me to ride a distance and the only other problem was the Campag plasticy shoe covers(for rain rather than cold) which didnt keep out the cold to well but the shop that sold them to me often mis sell stuff.

This morning after fifteen miles I had ice on my arms and crotch aswell as my eyebrows,the speedo was frozen and not working and if I had been on a metal bike it would have been coated. Freezing fog is a new one to me and hopefully we will not meet again .

Porridge, creatine with 70 per cent dextrose, two strong coffees (real not `nstant) and sultanas were enough to get me 85 miles with no real loss of power in the whole ride. Always bring something instant to revive you during the ride, sultanas work for me in minutes and are dirt cheap.

david1two3 wrote: »
    Today was almost to cold as I dont have my Windstopper gloves anymore which took me from Dublin to Galway on this day four years ago, after Ballinasloe when the sheet rain started the fingers half filled with rain water as I hadnt formed a seal with the sleeves but the gloves were so good the water was warm.It was one of the coldest days ever for me to ride a distance and the only other problem was the Campag plasticy shoe covers(for rain rather than cold) which didnt keep out the cold to well but the shop that sold them to me often mis sell stuff.

This morning after fifteen miles I had ice on my arms and crotch aswell as my eyebrows,the speedo was frozen and not working and if I had been on a metal bike it would have been coated. Freezing fog is a new one to me and hopefully we will not meet again .

Porridge, creatine with 70 per cent dextrose, two strong coffees (real not `nstant) and sultanas were enough to get me 85 miles with no real loss of power in the whole ride. Always bring something instant to revive you during the ride, sultanas work for me in minutes and are dirt cheap.

Do sultanas really work for training, never heard of anyone using them, do u just have them alone or other energy foods like bananas etc. Personally i use jordans cereal bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sean02 wrote: »
    Personally I find while I'll go through litres in summer I can certainly go 40k in winter with no water at all. I suspect cunnins case was down to lack of food (and possibly of condition.)

There is a middle ground between Aldi and Assos- I have a pair of dhb Merston Bib Tights from Wiggle which are really quite excellent (picked up for £14.10 in a sale, bargain of the century.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

Zorba wrote: »
    Do sultanas really work for training, never heard of anyone using them, do u just have them alone or other energy foods like bananas etc. Personally i use jordans cereal bars.

Once Ive had my breakfast fuel of Porridge or whatever sultanas will take me 100 miles without stopping other than for a pee.I have done this many times although now I go out with a club who stop after a few hours and drink coffee and eat. Its not neccessary but its what they want to do. The guy I did the nonstop hundreds with trained so hard that these guys couldnt get near him and hes 50 odd now.When I start to wither I take a mouthful of sultanas and within two minutes Im getting better.At 41pence a kilo they are very cheap. Last week I had creatine with dextrose and nobody could compete with me but this week I was partly ill and suffered badly but still kept going,three hours sleep didnt help much. I had twelve hours in bed last night and thats something I never do unless theres something wrong.

david1two3 wrote: »
    Once Ive had my breakfast fuel of Porridge or whatever sultanas will take me 100 miles without stopping other than for a pee.I have done this many times although now I go out with a club who stop after a few hours and drink coffee and eat. Its not neccessary but its what they want to do. The guy I did the nonstop hundreds with trained so hard that these guys couldnt get near him and hes 50 odd now.When I start to wither I take a mouthful of sultanas and within two minutes Im getting better.At 41pence a kilo they are very cheap. Last week I had creatine with dextrose and nobody could compete with me but this week I was partly ill and suffered badly but still kept going,three hours sleep didnt help much. I had twelve hours in bed last night and thats something I never do unless theres something wrong.

Hmmm ok i'll give them a go, what have i got to loose ! and after all they're a lot cheaper than them energy bars !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 charlietangodel

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Only problem was the water was fúckin freezing because of the weather, so drinking it only made me colder.

And herein (probably) lies the answer!

Consider this.
    You were well insulated due to the layers you were wearing (there's nothing wrong with lidl stuff its just not as trendy as Assos eh?!) You say the weather was cold though - Ok! Your body is using extra energy just to keep your core temperature up.
    Then, you drinking freezing cold water. This descends in to your nice warm belly, drawing heat from your Liver, Kidneys and other internal organs. So, all the blood is re-routed from your legs to around your tummy in an effort to negate the cold temperature! and you crash-out.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if you nearly gave yourself Liver and/or Kidney shock!!

And herein (probably) lies the answer!

Consider this.
    You were well insulated due to the layers you were wearing (there's nothing wrong with lidl stuff its just not as trendy as Assos eh?!) You say the weather was cold though - Ok! Your body is using extra energy just to keep your core temperature up.
    Then, you drinking freezing cold water. This descends in to your nice warm belly, drawing heat from your Liver, Kidneys and other internal organs. So, all the blood is re-routed from your legs to around your tummy in an effort to negate the cold temperature! and you crash-out.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if you nearly gave yourself Liver and/or Kidney shock!!

I've read that this is not a problem when doing a long hard cycle, i.e. drinking cold water is better than drinking none, as you have to drink something. I'll try dig it up. Probably proper sports drinks are better than pure water as they have a lower freezing temperature. Personally I don't really like drinking cold water on cold days :o

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/coldweathertraining.html
    As in the summer your fluid replacement needs are crucial to your performance while training. While in the summer you lose a tremendous amount of fluids through sweating, in the winter you lose more fluids while breathing cold air, which must be warmed and moistened in your throat and lungs. As you exhale, you lose lots of water, which is why you can see your breath during heavy exercise. The humidity content of cold air is much less than warm air. This is why your throat feels much drier in the winter.

If a person is active under these cold, dry conditions, the amount of moisture lost through respiration increases significantly and must be replaced. It is essential to keep up with this loss, with frequent fluid replacement during the day and while cycling, if possible. In addition, you lose more water through increased urine production in the cold. The medical community calls this phenomena, cold dieresis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement