Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aiden McGeady video

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Not many clips in an Ireland shirt alright!
    You'd have to question the standard of the defending in the SPL though, outside the top 2 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

true but he seems to be producing in europe this season. he's also setting up much more chances this season.

http://www.scotprem.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10002~20073,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

How he is on the shortlist for Fai young player of the year is staggering .. He played abysmally in almost if not all games in 2007 for Ireland.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I just think he needs a good manager who can encourage young talent.

He is a quality player, but hasnt played his best in his what, 4 or 5 games in an Ireland shirt?

He will improve and be a big player for us in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He's rubbish in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The Hunskelping section is excellent :D

McGeady has been really excellent this season, pity he is out of the Rangers game on the 2nd January

zabbo wrote: »

You base that on his handful of appearances for the RoI?

You base that on his handful of appearances for the RoI?

all 16 of them, yes, doesn't matter what he plays like for in some lower league...

In which case, you do not know what you are talking about. Rubbish performances for the RoI - Yes

Ahh Ok, so he's not international quality then ;)

• Advertisement

What ever rocks your boat then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

all 16 of them, yes, doesn't matter what he plays like for in some lower league...

Yes because Irelands performances in the qualifiers were of such a high standard werent they? Im sure they really suited an attacking minded winger.....:rolleyes:

ah yeah, AC Milan in the Champions League, sure thats not even a test for his world class team-mates...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dunphy? Is that you in disguise? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I don't see where all this praise is coming from, I've never ever seen the guy and been overly impressed.

Hartson, Donati, Martin O'Neill and Boruc have all sung his praises massively, but I've never really rated him above 7/10 for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    He is a quality player, but hasnt played his best in his what, 4 or 5 games in an Ireland shirt?

Yeah that pretty much sums up the amount of games Ireland played in 2007 ???

:rolleyes:

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    He will improve and be a big player for us in the future.

Hopefully that will happen but that doesn't take from the fact he was rubbish in the year 2007 playing 'for' Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I don't see where all this praise is coming from, I've never ever seen the guy and been overly impressed.

Hartson, Donati, Martin O'Neill and Boruc have all sung his praises massively, but I've never really rated him above 7/10 for Ireland.
    I think a few Celtic players are as guilty as the fans for overhyping McGeady. Boruc based his comparison with Ronaldo on the fact that Ronaldo wasn't great when he played against Poland. Ronaldo's in a league of his own, much better than McGeady and always will be. I do think Ronaldo has his limits though. He rarely tries a 50 yard pass, or a cross, or a through ball. McGeady is improving in all 3 and I actually think is better than Ronaldo with a through ball or cross. At the same time, at least when Ronaldo beats a player you fancy him to really threaten. McGeady might beat a player and put a cross in when there's space for him to run into the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

I am trying not to be biased against McGeady BUT I personally would love to play against him every week... rattle him and he goes into hiding....

I've never seen what the hype has been about him....

I do have to say that this usual p*sh about the SPL being a poor standard and only 2 teams in it.... the EPL lovers should take their blinkers off and watch the SPL week in week out.... I'm not saying it silky soccer each week BUT for example Blackburn v Fulham, Derby v Aston Villa are not exactly La Liga standard !!!

I was only having a little dig ;), obviously he's a skillful player, but as with most young players it's getting consistency.

But I don't buy the excuses that get bandied around like not playing well on crap pitches, being a confidence player, and not liking it away from home, can only play well with 'attacking teams'

He'll come good in a few years though.

• Advertisement

FRM wrote: »
    I am trying not to be biased against McGeady BUT I personally would love to play against him every week... rattle him and he goes into hiding....
    Rattle him in what way? He certainly wouldn't hide after a couple of hard tackles against him. His confidence might drop if you won the ball off him a couple of times though.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Rattle him in what way? He certainly wouldn't hide after a couple of hard tackles against him. His confidence might drop if you won the ball off him a couple of times though.

The Alan Hutton way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

Well said that man :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nah, McGeady has always been at the top of his game for the Rangers matches. :)

what's the rolleyes about? Please ban that smiley.

Most of the clips in that vid with, but a little more "neutral friendly". ;)

bah...still rubbish :p

Pity Gravesen robbed his goal against Rangers last season. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The skill at 1.20 is amazing.

That's his trademark spin. :) He did it against Hibs yesterday. What frustrates me is when he does it he almost always puts in a cross. The chances of a goal resulting from a cross is slim.

• Advertisement

Yeah the "McGeady Roulette" has been going since his first game with Celtic.

All he lacks is consistency, and yet the knives are out for him with some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

just goes to show how brutal the Scottish league is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Stupid argument...quality wise is may not be good, but read my the James Mcarthy thread, where I talk about what Croatia's luka Modric said about the Bosnian League.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    That's his trademark spin. :) He did it against Hibs yesterday. What frustrates me is when he does it he almost always puts in a cross. The chances of a goal resulting from a cross is slim.
    Your complaining about a wide player putting a cross in? That strikes me as bizzare Eirebhoy.
    dubmick wrote: »
    just goes to show how brutal the Scottish league is
    As compared to by the Eircom league i presume?:rolleyes:

Eirebear wrote: »
    Your complaining about a wide player putting a cross in? That strikes me as bizzare Eirebhoy.
    Why is that? Look at a more extended clip of that spin against Aberdeen here (2nd clip):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4_LKLrEOeE

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/103/mcgeadycq1.jpg

He beats the player and is free. What Ronaldo or Messi would do then is run into the box and make it easier to find a teammate with a pass. You don't need to leave a player for dead to put in a top class cross so it's a bit of a waste of such an effective piece of skill.

you still need to make room for yourself to get a decent cross in.
    My problem with that clip is that he DIDNT put a decent cross in.
    (all i need is another line about putting a decent cross in ;)

I do see where your coming from but Ronaldo or Messi have far better supporting midfielders to pass the ball too than mcgeady

• Advertisement

FRM wrote: »

I've never seen what the hype has been about him....

I do have to say that this usual p*sh about the SPL being a poor standard and only 2 teams in it.... the EPL lovers should take their blinkers off and watch the SPL week in week out.... I'm not saying it silky soccer each week BUT for example Blackburn v Fulham, Derby v Aston Villa are not exactly La Liga standard !!!

Too true.. On all your points.

Advertisement