Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garmin Nuvi 250 Widescreen sat nav

Options
  • 20-12-2007 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

HI guys

was looking at buying the Garmin Nuvi 250 Widescreen Satellite Navigation. its 249 euro to buy. is it any good. any info on this i would much appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I have a 670 widescreen. It's the fu(king business! I really love it and worth every penny. Great maps (Update coming out in Feb 2008). If buying one try to get one with V10 maps

I find the MP3 player and bluetooth VERY handy too (Both can transmit through the radio) but i'm not sure if the 250 has these. Take this into consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I find the MP3 player and bluetooth VERY handy too (Both can transmit through the radio) but i'm not sure if the 250 has these. Take this into consideration
    Just to confirm that the 250W doesn't have these features. In my opinion, if you need bluetooth and MP3 functionality, I wouldn't want these in my sat nav as I rarely use my sat nav and if I did want to use these features all the time I would be worried about the security of the device in my car. You will use an mp3 player every time you drive your car, the bluetooth nearly every time however sat nav, maybe 5% of the time. Do you really want the hassle of setting it up every time? They are a nice to have admittedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hi James

I got one this summer (that model) and if you dont need the bells and whistles like the higher models then this is the one for you. I used it in Sept to drive from Dublin to Paris via England (for the dismal world cup) and never got lost once, plus it saved the usual arguements of which turn to take.

Gets my thumbs up.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

You'll get plenty of answers to your questions over at the GPS forum.

Got one for the folks for Christmas cause it's nice and easy to use,no extra features ie mp3 player,bluetooth etc. Just wanted a sat nav that does what it says on the tin. Good price too. Pc World *spits* had it at €299 reduced from €399. I went to Komplett for mine,€230+p+p.
    It came with v9 maps, some 250s' have v10 some have v9. Luck of the draw it seems and where it's bought. Again you'll see plenty of v9/v10 info on the GPS forum. Holding out registering the unit until the new maps are out used to grant you an upgrade but from reading things this may be coming to an end.:confused:
    I still love my Route 66 sat nav for it's ease of use but the Garmin is right up there with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

I bought it a few months (not widescreen) ago with V9 maps I think. Does what it says on the tin. Used it many times since in Europe with no issues. Some of the newer Irish roads are not on it but hopefully the new update will help that.

I looked at them all and basically it went back to the basic task of what do I want if for - navigation, so I didn't bother with all the other frills.

A pal has the bluetooth option and he likes it but there can be an echo sometimes. The biggest issue with them is theft so you should consider puting everything away and cleaning the mark on the windscreen when you park. This hassle might mean that you don't get the max use of the phone option unless you are willing to go through the set up / take down each time you get iuse the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have a nuvi 250 as well. The only issue I have with it is that you can only add a single via point to your route. This is easily worked around by starting off a new route when you get to your via point, but its an annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I have the 250W and it is great. No mp3 player but why am I going to listen to music on the little sat nav speaker when I have the CD player in the car, as most of us do. It is a great GPS I reccommend it and I bought one for the boyfriend for Xmas. I got mine on Pixmania (I dont recommend them), it has the 2008 maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Anyone know where is best to pick on of these up in Dublin City Centre? I don't have a car (ironically) so I can't drive out to some obscure retail park.

Cheers

Advertisement