Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions, please help....

Options
  • 20-12-2007 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Evening All,

Two things, firstly can the bolt for a CZ .22LR be stripped and cleaned by the lame, namely me! or does it have to go to a gunsmith? Mine rifle seems to mis-firing alot (bullet not firing) cock it and try again and sometimes it works, sometimes it takes more that one try. Could be a bad batch of ammo, Federal Value Pack, but I've had no issues with it before. I think it may be the bolt. Any ideas?

Secondly, why does the point of impact (zero) change when I zoom in with my scope. This is more of an info thing than my rifle not working properly like the above question.

Still finding my feet so please bare with me and the numpty questions.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Could be a bad batch of ammo, Federal Value Pack, but I've had no issues with it before. I think it may be the bolt. Any ideas?

Can you clearly see the indentation from the firing pin on the base of the rounds that failed to fire?

Try different ammo before you try to strip the bolt.
    why does the point of impact (zero) change when I zoom in with my scope
    Cheap poor quality scope, sorry:o

Uncock the bolt and look at the firing pin, then recock the bolt.

You will probably see a lot of gunk moving with the pin. This is probably what is causing the problem.

Stripping it would be best, but you can just use the things to clean your ears on the pin, I think they are called Q tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Check out this page-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/32985494@N00/sets/72157594523768066/

Click 'View as slideshow'

Created by edzzy ireland over on rimfirecentral:
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=197888

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Your rifle manual should have a section on stripping the bolt. It's a very common source of problems with misfires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Yaaahaa I got the bolt apart! Thanks all, I was kinda nervous because I am still new and didnt want to end up with a pile of bits on the table!

As for my scope, I dunno, I hope it aint a cheap one, I paid £360 sterling for it.

Oh and yes you can clearly see the indents on the base of the round when fired.

Thanks Agian.

Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I've heard of that problem before on a CZ the cause is build up of gunk in the extractor housing in the barrel face i.e. theres crap in the notchs in the barrel that the extracters sit into and the bolt isnt locking foward enough best way of cleaning i found was a strong bit of wire and a cloth with a little oil just put the cloth over the point of the wire and poke around.

As for the scope sounds dodgy what make is it? That certainly shouldnt happen if it has an AO make sure its set correctly

I've heard of that problem before on a CZ the cause is build up of gunk in the extractor housing in the barrel face i.e. theres crap in the notchs in the barrel that the extracters sit into and the bolt isnt locking foward enough best way of cleaning i found was a strong bit of wire and a cloth with a little oil just put the cloth over the point of the wire and poke around.
    A toothpick is also very good for this job. Old toothbrushes als work reasonably well if soaked in oil.
    As for the scope sounds dodgy what make is it? That certainly shouldnt happen if it has an AO make sure its set correctly
    How does the point of impact change? up, down or to one side? Some scopes have range settings that could be disturbed by zooming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Secondly, why does the point of impact (zero) change when I zoom in with my scope.

Is the point of impact constant when the magnification is not adjusted? If the point of impact only changes when you adjust the magnification (which is what I think you are saying) it is a poor quality scope regardless of what you paid for it IMO.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Word of warning: Federal Value pack have a habit of having very poor priming. I often get FTF when using them. You get what you pay for I guess. Good value though...

Word of warning: Federal Value pack have a habit of having very poor priming. I often get FTF when using them. You get what you pay for I guess. Good value though...

FTF doesn't happen with bolt-action rifles. Misfires certainly do and some are related to the primer, but most often are caused by dirt build up on the bolt or in the breech preventing the firing pin from striking the rim properly.

• Advertisement

google a forum called pigeonwatch

afaik, there was a similar thread about this there.

It seemed that the scope was mounted incorrectly and that the point of aim was chaning with the zoom..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Its possible if your scope is mounted wrong and your using the max adjustment of windage or elevation and looking through the edge of the lenses but shouldnt happen in a good scope.

Get your scope mounted with some good mounts make sure its touching of nothing if the problem persists then send it back to where it came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

theres crap in the notchs in the barrel that the extracters sit into and the bolt isnt locking foward enough

Yes there is usually alot of build up alright but I do keep it clean, well as I said I stripped the bolt last night so Im gonna go out there in a min and fire off a few and see if it helped.

As for the Scope its a Hawke Sidewinder 8.5 x 34 x 52, propably a bit excessive for a .22 but that whats on it.
    rrpc wrote: »
    How does the point of impact change? up, down or to one side? Some scopes have range settings that could be disturbed by zooming.

If I zoom in the point of impact is slightly higher that before zooming in.
    fishdog wrote: »
    Is the point of impact constant when the magnification is not adjusted? If the point of impact only changes when you adjust the magnification (which is what I think you are saying) it is a poor quality scope regardless of what you paid for it IMO.:(

Up to x16 the point of impact is spot on all the time, cant fault the scope for that, even through all the rounds and work its done so far for me.

Ya could be ammo I suppose but for the last 5-6 boxes of em I fired I had something like 4-5 not fire so about 1 per box I guess, unless I have a bad box now???

Ian

FTF doesn't happen with bolt-action rifles. Misfires certainly do and some are related to the primer, but most often are caused by dirt build up on the bolt or in the breech preventing the firing pin from striking the rim properly.

As in FTF = failure to fire? Doesn't that result from a bad primer, and therefore could happen in all rifles?

Anyway I have a semi and I got one really bad box of Federal with like twenty faulty primers, the others I've had have only had one or two a piece.

As in FTF = failure to fire? Doesn't that result from a bad primer, and therefore could happen in all rifles?

Anyway I have a semi and I got one really bad box of Federal with like twenty faulty primers, the others I've had have only had one or two a piece.

Sorry, FTF is usually referring to semi-autos as in failure to feed. Misfire is the more commonly used term to describe a failure to fire. Easy to get confused otherwise.

Sorry, FTF is usually referring to semi-autos as in failure to feed. Misfire is the more commonly used term to describe a failure to fire. Easy to get confused otherwise.

Damn yank terminology!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

Damn yank terminology!:p

I have had my share of 22 long rifle not go off. Especially bulk pack.
    After waiting a minute (or five) rotate the round that didn’t go off one quarter turn so the firing pin strikes a different part of the primer.
    Chances are it will the next time.

Now as for yank terminology I would complain… but it’s true.
    Dang engineer wannabees.:D

Advertisement